Author Topic: Walter Thomas Payne of Hockley, Warwick  (Read 20267 times)

Offline PaulineI

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Walter Thomas Payne of Hockley, Warwick
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 23 September 14 12:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Alan

I know this is a late reply to your original question but I was wondering if you where able to find out anymore info on Walter Thomas Payne in regards to his military history? My Great Uncle was Thomas Moore driver 35697 and he is buried in Bertenacre Military Cemetery in Fletre, France along with your Walter Payne and I was thinking it would be likely that they where together at the time of death and are buried in the same row. Thomas was K.I.A 8/9/18. I am having trouble trying to find out 1, how they died and 2, what battles they fought in.

Kind Regards
Pauline

Offline PaulineI

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 23 September 14 12:59 BST (UK) »
Sorry I meant to enclose this photo with my last post also. Not sure if you have seen this before but it is the Graves Registration Report Form for them.

Offline Aks

• RootsChat Senior
  • Photo - Annie Pomeroy
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 24 September 14 08:22 BST (UK) »
Dear Pauline,

This goes back a few years so I have to refresh my memory. I also feel somewhat guilty towards those that answered me on this thread, because although I spent a lot of time on this subject, I didn't get anything clear enough to post about. However, I digress ...

As regards this regiment, what I have are some photos of the war diaries that I took at the National Archives which detail their movements in the days leading up to the death of your great uncle on 8/9/1918 and of Walter Payne on 10/9/1918. I attach a map of the movements of the regiment during this time.

I attach here a photo of the Cemetery in Flêtre which I visited back in 2010. Unfortunately, I don't have a photo of Thomas' gravestone. If you PM me with your email address, I can send you my photos of the war diaries and a few more of the cemetery, or have you already been there? If you want to check out the war diaries at the National Archives, I should be able to dig up some information about where they are exactly.

Alan
Sillitoe, Froude, Partington, Rochford

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ed Wiessing

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 17 June 15 03:11 BST (UK) »
1841 Census - Bradford, Yorkshire, England
Payne,   William   20   Ireland   wool comber
      Lavinia   20   England
      William     3   Bradford
      Richard     1   Bradford
      Richard   25   Ireland   wool comber
      John      20   Ireland   wool comber
      George   15   England   wool comber

Richard (25), John (20), and George (15) were William's brothers.

William does not appear in 1851, or in subsequent censuses because he and brother John were convicted of stealing 100+ lbs of mutton from a Bradford, Yorkshire butcher shop, and were sentenced in January 1843 to 10 years transportation in Van Dieman's Land (Tazmania).  They were both married, and neither returned to England.  All children born to Lavinia after 1843 were illegitimate.

Offline paulrubery

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 21 June 22 11:28 BST (UK) »
Hi there I have in my possession a large bronze war medal awarded to Walter thomas payne. It's a dead mans penny from 1918. The only information I could find was his army number and  his grave in a cemetery in France. I traced his name to rootschat and believe he came from Hockley Birmingham.  I am keen to return this to a member of his family at no cost

Offline paulrubery

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 21 June 22 11:33 BST (UK) »
I am in possession of the dead mans penny awarded to the family of walter tho.as payne. A bombadier from Hockley. I am eager to return this to his family. I know he died in 1918 and have traced his grave to France and have his army number