Author Topic: The King's County Directory, 1890 - Worth buying?  (Read 5912 times)

Offline lbud

• RootsChat Member
  • What a waist!
    • View Profile
The King's County Directory, 1890 - Worth buying?
« on: Thursday 18 February 10 15:34 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone recommend buying "The Kings County Directory, 1890"?  Is there much genealogical information in it? 
It is available from Archive CD Books for just under €20.

And, is it available anywhere to look at for free?

Offline jjt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: The King's County Directory, 1890 - Worth buying?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 18 January 13 17:51 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I was just looking into the same thing myself. It is listed a few times on Google Books, but none are scanned copies. I found it is also available at various libraries (using Worldcat.org) but none are close enough to NY for my access.

Looking around the Internet I found that you can purchase it directly from the Eneclann.ie shop for €9.90 (€12.18 Including VAT at 23% for EU folks) as a digital download. (€6.00 more if you prefer it on CD-ROM.)

That's significantly less than all the other sites - including Eneclann's own price as an Amazon seller.

See: http://www.eneclann.ie/acatalog/IET0053_-_The_King_s_County_Directory__1890.html

I'm thinking about it now, will send another reply with info if I do!

.JT.
Some surnames: Tierney, McDonald, O'Malley, Gleason, Egan, Guinan, Farrell, Murphy, Dougherty, Vanac, Simanek, Straka, Klecka, Bocek

Maternal Czech side: Grandparents emigrated from the towns of Zamlyni and Predmir to New York City in early 1900s.

Paternal Irish side: Great grandparents emigrated from Ireland to NYC about 1880, Grandmother emigrated from Creggan, Ferbane, Offaly (Kings County), Ireland about 1909.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 18 January 13 18:02 GMT (UK) »
Like most directories of that time it will probably include businesses, merchants, gentry, clergy and certain trades. These generally focus on the larger towns.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline lbud

• RootsChat Member
  • What a waist!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 18 January 13 21:10 GMT (UK) »
I've since found it on familysearch.  Look for it in the books catalogue there.  It takes a while to load.

Or go direct to it here.

Offline jjt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 18 January 13 21:20 GMT (UK) »
Terrific - thanks!

Even if no specific info listed in it for my relations, I'm looking for historical and social references for filling out my writing for the family reports and I'm sure this will help.

.JT.
Some surnames: Tierney, McDonald, O'Malley, Gleason, Egan, Guinan, Farrell, Murphy, Dougherty, Vanac, Simanek, Straka, Klecka, Bocek

Maternal Czech side: Grandparents emigrated from the towns of Zamlyni and Predmir to New York City in early 1900s.

Paternal Irish side: Great grandparents emigrated from Ireland to NYC about 1880, Grandmother emigrated from Creggan, Ferbane, Offaly (Kings County), Ireland about 1909.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 18 January 13 22:00 GMT (UK) »
I've since found it on familysearch.  Look for it in the books catalogue there.  It takes a while to load.

Or go direct to it here.

Good to know about that version, thanks - I'll add a link in the resources topic.
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests