Author Topic: Tracing in Ireland  (Read 9244 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Tracing in Ireland
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 02 July 11 10:02 BST (UK) »
It's very easy to get confused and start following the wrong person/family without knowing it (the birth of a girl Minnie posted earlier is a good example).

How do you know that the William McClenaghan who died in 1892 is Samuel's father? That William was a grocer- do you know Samuel's father's occupations (from Samuel's birth certificate, marriage certificate. etc.)?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 02 July 11 10:35 BST (UK) »
Hi,
   I agree with Aghadowey. In the 1901 census Catherine is living in Cosgrove Street as a grocer and has two of her daughters living with her. She does not appear in the 1911 census. See http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/search/

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline fionamacd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 02 March 12 03:08 GMT (UK) »
It's very easy to get confused and start following the wrong person/family without knowing it (the birth of a girl Minnie posted earlier is a good example).

How do you know that the William McClenaghan who died in 1892 is Samuel's father? That William was a grocer- do you know Samuel's father's occupations (from Samuel's birth certificate, marriage certificate. etc.)?
After just discovering that my paternal Grandfather, Samuel McClenaghan came to Scotland from Ireland at age 9, I have set out to try and trace his roots. This has proved to be a thankless task and I would be very grateful for any help that anyone could offer me. He was born in 1872 in Newry, County Down and as far as I can discover, his parents names were William (Father) and Sarah Hume (Mother). The town he lived in was Kilkeel. I also believe he had a Sister named Minnie.

Should anyone be able to help me with this, I would be eternally grateful.
Thank you.

Further to this I have just discovered that my Grandfather Samuel McClenaghan had a sister named Minnie McClenaghan. She was born in KIlkeel in 1870 or 1974. This was her real name,not a nickname. She married a Scotsman named George Buchanan who worked for a company known as "Turkey Red". I have no idea where that was or know a lot about this man. As far as I know this company was based in Scotland.

I would be so very grateful for any further help I could get regarding Minnie and her family. Thank you so much
Fiona.
McClenaghan/Mccleneghan

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 02 March 12 09:55 GMT (UK) »
Since your Samuel McClenaghan was born 1872 and "came to Scotland from Ireland at age 9," (c1881) is it likely that the William McClenaghan who died 8th May 1892 is the correct father? Have you checked the 1891 Scottish census just to make sure that William didn't go to Scotland also?

There doesn't seem to be a birth registrations for a Minnie McClenaghan in Ireland in the 1870s. As was suggested earlier in this thread, Minnie is likely a nickname for some other name (even though she may have later used Minnie on legal documents, etc.)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 02 March 12 10:01 GMT (UK) »
There is a Minnie McLennayhan (?) in 1891 census in Dumbarton stepdaughter of James Hives (age 46 born Ireland) whose wife was Mary S. Hives (age 57 born Ireland). If this is your Minnie it looks as though her mother was married before 1891 (and thus before William died in Ireland 1892).

Offline Del 80

• RootsChat Veteran
  • my favourite jumper about 1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 02 March 12 17:18 GMT (UK) »
Fiona, Have a look at this,    http://www.gracesguide.co.uk/United_Turkey_Red_Co     Regards Del.
Clarke , Calvert , McCreadie,
 McDowell, Paton & Scott families,  Scotland
& Ireland, Ayto/Hayto/Eato/Eatough families, Lincolnshire.

Offline fionamacd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 12 March 12 03:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Del,

Thank you so much for the information. My Father remembers family details off and on and this was who tha man Minnie Married worked with. Can maybe try and trace more records from that now.

Thanks again.
Fiona
McClenaghan/Mccleneghan

Offline fionamacd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 25 January 13 02:53 GMT (UK) »
After discovering further information on my paternal Grandfather SAMUEL JOHN McCLENAGHAN through my father's sister I am once again trying to find how to gain more knowledge regarding his parentage.  Samuel was born in Markethill, Newry, Co Down in 1872 and he died in Glasgow in 1959. He had 2 brothers named James and Robert and a sister Annie who were all born in Ireland. I have traced Samuel in the Scottish census of 1901 as living in Dunbartonshire Scotland. There are no other details available in the census to help me find his parents or any of his siblings as being there at that time. Samuel married  my Grandmother MARY MURDOCH in Glasgow in 1916 and had 4 children...Marion born 1918, Elizabeth born in 1920 and twins James and Mary born 1924. They were all born in Glasgow. I have been told that Mary my Grandmother was born in Glasgow in 1895 and had a sister named Isabella. I am afraid that I cannot trace either of them in the Scottish census.

I have tried to search the various census in Ireland and many other Irish websites to no avail.

If there is anyone who knows of or is looking for any of the family names that I have mentioned above I would be ever so grateful for any help that you can give me to find out a little more about Samuels parentage and go forward from there with my search.

Thank you so much for reading this and I hope that someone can help to point me in the right direction to gain further information.

McClenaghan/Mccleneghan

Offline murney

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 18 February 13 12:48 GMT (UK) »
You stated in an earlier post that he was born in Kilkeel (Co Down) to William and Sarah Hume McClenaghan, since you now state that he was born in Markethill (which is in Co. Armagh), I am presuming that William and Sarah aren't his parents.  Do you now know who his parents are?  Did you get their names from his marriage or death cert?  If you haven't got those certs, you can get the marriage cert online on the scotlandspeople website. 

There is a birth for a boy (no name given) for a Thomas McClenaghan and Margaret Glassey on 24 Jan 1870 in Markethill.

Regards

Deirdre