Author Topic: Lenham Parish Register Lookup - HARRISSON  (Read 32935 times)

Offline JenClark

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Exhausted yet content!
    • View Profile
Re: Lenham Parish Register Lookup - HARRISSON
« Reply #108 on: Tuesday 16 March 10 10:35 GMT (UK) »
Hello All  ;D

Just thought that I would let you all know that I recieved the will for Frances Harrison (nee Ottway) of Charing (dated 1724) today from the Centre for Kentish Studies  ;D

Having read through....not all of it (7 pages long it is!!)....but scanning for names it mentions:

Will mentions:
Son - Thomas Harrison
Son - John Harrison
Son - Peter Harrison
Son - James Harrison
Son - Ottway Harrison
Son - George Harrison
Daughter - Frances Harrison (to school to learn to read and write and work plain work)
Late husband - George Harrison
Daughter - Elizabeth Harrison
Sister - Mrs Elizabeth Turner

So I think that that confirms that her son was indeed my Thomas Harrison not William Harrison as mentioned in the Monumental Inscription in Charing! Otherwise the inscription fits perfectly  ::)

Charing Monumental Insciptions:

157. George HARRISSON of this parish, yeoman, 1st November 1719 aged 62. Frances his wife, 20th December 1724 aged 51. Left issue six sons and two daughters: George, John, William, Ottaway, Peter and James, Elizabeth and Frances.

It does bring up one more question though, she mentions her sister Elizabeth Turner now I have her sister's details as below:

Elizabeth Ottway married Attained Hammond 8 July 1686 St Andrews The Apostle, Canterbury, Kent
Children:
Frances Hammond born abt 1686?
Elizabeth Hammond (bap 1688 Faversham buried 1688 Faversham)
Joseph Hammond (bap 1690 Faversham buried 1690 Faversham)

I do not have death or burial records for either Attained Hammond or Elizabeth. I know from Attained Smith's will dated 1715 that Attained Hammond had already died, but it seems that his wife outlived him and married again to a Mr Turner. She must have died after 1724 sometime....unfortunately the will does not say where Mrs Elizabeth Turner was living at the time!

Is anyone able to find either a marriage for Elizabeth Hammond (widow) to Mr Turner or a burial for Elizabeth Turner? She was born abt 1668 I think....

Thank you all soooo much, it is starting to really come together now  ;)

Jenny
Clark, Sommerlad, Bowden, Barrett, Griffey, Sayers, Bridge, Walters, Pollard, Capel, Dibble, James, Lingard, Mensforth, Watts, Rutherford, Stainton, Chatterton, Tubbs, Thompson, Fulton, Booth, Sellwood, Edwards, Pitcher, Creech, Johns, Phillips, Roberts, Keast, Tregonning, Mason, Lancefield, Ibberson, Green, Case, Cook, Dunham, Porter, Pope, Hall, Welsh, Hellefield, Warburton, Fletcher, Foster, Stiles, Tait, Nicoll, Sutherland, McIntyre, Cole, Neal, Ladlow, Bellamy, Castleton, Barker, Yuill

Offline lisingreece

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: Tuesday 16 March 10 14:10 GMT (UK) »
Have found only one possibility,

In Postling, John Turner clerk widr and Eliz Hammond wid of Newchurch. At Postling, Newchurch or Lympne 10/10/1716

Your Eliz Hammond was last heard of having children in Faversham.

We need to find Attained's burial that may give us a clue.

Lis
Bailey, Stickells,  Marshall,  Hope, Morris, Wratten, Hope,  Knowler, Lonkhurst,  Gower,  Ratcliffe, Newport,  Boulden,  Stokes,  Beverley, Law, Lushington,  Parham,  Thorpe,  Piddleden,  Swaffer, Wide, Wood,  Austen, Eastes,  Hulke,  Banes, Hadley, Denne, Mullet, Dove, Mackney,all in Kent

Offline BettyofKent

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: Tuesday 16 March 10 14:15 GMT (UK) »
I've checked Lenham, nothing  for Elizabeth's marriage to a Mr Turner (only one Hammond marriage - Mary Ann, widow, to Levi CLARK in 1828) or burial.

Betty
KENT:
Stutely - Wittersham & Stone
Padgham - Wittersham
Wanstall - Northbourne
Taylor - Ringwould & Ash
Skinner - Deal
Bushell - Walmer
Spain - Walmer
Also
Schloss - Poland, Nottingham, Massachusetts & New Zealand.
Cohen - Birmingham

"Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov."

Offline bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: Tuesday 16 March 10 20:04 GMT (UK) »
Have found only one possibility,

In Postling, John Turner clerk widr and Eliz Hammond wid of Newchurch. At Postling, Newchurch or Lympne 10/10/1716

From IGI Elizabeth HAMAN married John TURNER 29 November 1716 at Postling
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JenClark

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Exhausted yet content!
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: Tuesday 16 March 10 21:32 GMT (UK) »
Hello All,

That marriage and marriage licence certainly seem likely, I will have to check my maps to see where Newchurch, Postling and Lympne are...

I agree it would be nice to see a burial to an Attained Hammond in one of those places, but beggars can't be choosers! I wonder if John Turner and his new wife stayed in the area? Does anyone have burials for Postling?

Thanks so much for finding them!

Jenny
Clark, Sommerlad, Bowden, Barrett, Griffey, Sayers, Bridge, Walters, Pollard, Capel, Dibble, James, Lingard, Mensforth, Watts, Rutherford, Stainton, Chatterton, Tubbs, Thompson, Fulton, Booth, Sellwood, Edwards, Pitcher, Creech, Johns, Phillips, Roberts, Keast, Tregonning, Mason, Lancefield, Ibberson, Green, Case, Cook, Dunham, Porter, Pope, Hall, Welsh, Hellefield, Warburton, Fletcher, Foster, Stiles, Tait, Nicoll, Sutherland, McIntyre, Cole, Neal, Ladlow, Bellamy, Castleton, Barker, Yuill

Offline qxjd5

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: Sunday 30 December 18 19:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lis and Jenny

It's been a long while since I posted here. I was hoping to get to Canterbury to resolve my Robert and Mary Harrison issues but haven't yet made it. Next year perhaps.

I am now pretty certain that my John Harrison chr 6 Jan 1793 Challock was the son of Robert Harrison and Mary Harris m 1782 in Westwell. Some records still show he was the son of John and Mary Harrison but I think these are erroneous. Siblings as per Lis' reply #103.

In terms of where this Robert Harrison came from there are a few options:

1. Robert Harrison chr 13 Jan 1743 in Charing
2. Robert Harrison chr 17 Jul 1753 in Folkestone
3. Robert Harrison chr 24 Feb 1755 in Bethersden
4. Robert Harrison chr 17 Sep 1747 in Preston by Wingham

#1 has been ruled out by yourselves and on the assumption that the apple didn't fall far from the tree I am looking at #3. One thing going for #3 is that he married a Sarah Sharsted and his son John Harrison named a daughter Sarah.

If any of you have anything to prove or disprove this i would be very grateful.

Rgds

John

Offline JenClark

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Exhausted yet content!
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: Monday 31 December 18 01:28 GMT (UK) »
Hello again John  ;)

I am not sure how much help I can be in proving or disproving the parentage of your Robert Harrison, though I do agree with you that your John Harrison is the son of a Robert & Mary Harrison, with siblings as below:

Baptisms for children of Robert & Mary Harrison in Challock
Mary 11/4/1784
Robert 21/5/1786
Thomas   30/9/1787
George ?/9/1790
John 8/1/1793
Sarah 21/9/1794

Finding the 'right' Robert may prove to be a big challenge!!

It would be great if you had a will or two to help out....or some monumental inscriptions...

I looked at the baptisms you mention for Robert's in the general area and around the general time we expect him to be born. Yes the 1743 Charing baptism is accounted for, and the 1753 Folkestone baptism seems to be for an adult (possibly born about 1813, no parents are mentioned).

That leaves the 1755 Bethersden baptism, a child of Robert Harrison and Sarah and the 1747 Preston by Wingham baptism, a child of John Harrison and Catherine. Yes Sarah features in the family tree and Catherine does not....but Sarah is an extremely common name, so it is hard to put much weight on that in helping to identify the earlier generations. Where/when did Robert Harrison and Sarah Sharsted marry?

Or.....no baptism for your Robert has survived...which is also possible

Not sure that my ramblings help much....perhaps others can assist?

I'm off on holidays for the next week or so, but will have a little look about when I get home to see if I can find any gems of information....good luck, these guys are challenging!

Jenny

Offline JenClark

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Exhausted yet content!
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: Monday 31 December 18 01:39 GMT (UK) »
I should look before I ask....I see that Robert Harrison and Sarah Sharsted married 29 May 1752/3 in Bethersden....so you are thinking that these two are the parents of Robert b. 1755 then?

This Robert appears to have a number of siblings, I wonder if any of them left a will or other document that may name him?

Offline qxjd5

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: Monday 04 January 21 23:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lis and Jenny

Back again.

I hope that you are well.

I feel like a right chump not having found this before but in trying to track down my John Harrison's parents I discovered that the John Harrison b Challock in 1793 is not my ancestor. Very long story short, the 1851 census contains two John Harrisons. The 57 yr old living in Challock and born in Challock cannot be mine as his wife's name isn't correct and neither are the children. He was a farmer whereas mine was an Ag Lab.

So I am a back to square one with my John Harrison/Harrisson. What I do know about him is:

1823 Throwley, married Margaret Carpenter 
1841 Bells Forstall,  Throwley , age 45 (1796), with wife Margaret, and children Thomasin (Sampson), Frances, Ann, James, Lucy and William with father in law James Carpenter
1847 (Margaret Carpenter died)
1851 Bells Forstall,  Throwley , age 61 (1790), born Throwley, no wife, and children Frances(Fanny), James, Lucy, William, George and Margaret Ann with father in law James Carpenter (NB Margaret Ann is the daughter of Thomasin Harrison)
1861 Cannot find any record
1871 Redborough Farm, Throwley, age 75 (1796), born Stalisfield, no wife, living with daughter and son in law Lucy and William Murrells
1881 Rushmere, Charing, age 85 (1796), born Davington, no wife, living with daughter and son in law Lucy and William Murrells
1881 Charing,  Died, age 87 (1794), reported by son in law William Murrells

I have not been able to find a record for John Harrison’s birth/christening,  nor a record in the 1861 census and each census entry has a different place of birth. Needless to say i cannot find him in any of them.

Any help gratefully appreciated.

Rgds

John