Author Topic: 1841, 1851 Herefordshire lookup please!  (Read 5418 times)

Offline cimbrio

• RootsChat Senior
  • http://thegenealogycorner.wordpress.com/
    • View Profile
Re: 1841, 1851 Herefordshire lookup please!
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 01 May 14 12:27 BST (UK) »
Hi all - I have a question related to Maria Parker, mentioned above in my earlier post, and wondered if anyone can help with reading the census entry. I don't think it's worth starting a new thread on Rootschat, though this queery relates to Kempsey, Worcestershire.

I've found my ancestor Maria Parker (later Davis) on the 1841 census living with a Elizabeth Holland (60) - no relation as far as I'm aware. Maria's name is hardly readable on the document, but her age is 25 (so born around 1816). Her profession, however, is more difficult to make out. It looks like she is a "governess", though I'm not sure why a governess should live with a 60 year-old lady with no children under her care... I know Maria married her first husband John Davis in 1845 and in later census returns she gave her occupation as a grocer - but I don't think it says grocer in the 1841 census.

I don't think I have the wrong Maria - my Maria was born in Kempsey, Worcs, in 1814 so her age would have been given as 25 in the 1841 census, since ages were rounded up and down. Besides, I cannot find an alternative for her - in case I've got the wrong one.

I find her being a governess rather strange considering her surroundings and her profession in later life and would like anyone's opinion on the matter.  :)
Herefordshire: ALLEN (Colwall), CARTWRIGHT (Kington & Almeley), DAVIS (Colwall), EVANS (Pembridge), GODSALL (Colwall), JONES (Whitbourne), MORRIS (Kington & Kinnersley), MOUND (Wormsley), TIPPINS (Staunton-on-Arrow), RODWAY (Colwall), VICKRESS (Wellington & Hope-under-Dinmore), WATKINS (Almeley)
Shropshire: MOUND (Hope Bagot)
Worcestershire: PARKER (Kempsey)