Author Topic: retrieving archived emails from thunderbird  (Read 15973 times)

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
retrieving archived emails from thunderbird
« on: Friday 19 February 10 15:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Hoping someone can help me with a problem that is driving me mad!

Before my new laptop arrived, I archived all my emails that were stored in Thunderbird on my old PC.  Downloaded Thunderbird to my new laptop and then found I can't open the emails.  Went back to the old PC and in playing around there trying to work out how to open archived emails I managed to completely wipe all emails from the Thunderbird package on the old PC.

So now I have lost my emails except that they are all in a file called Inbox where I stored them but despite many attempts I cannot reopen them. 

Does anyone know of a way to access them.  MS Outlook is so simple because you simply import them in but this does not seem to be a function of Thunderbird unless I am missing something fundamental!

Thanks

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline AngelaR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: retrieving archived emails from thunderbird
« Reply #1 on: Friday 19 February 10 15:30 GMT (UK) »
Usually, emails in Thunderbird are readable as a file with any text editor.

To access them using a new installation of Thunderbird, you have to put them in the folder Thunderbird expects them to be in - installation of Thunderbird creates a meanless-sounding folder. There is a link in the Thunderbird help stuff that explains what to do - I've done it a few times! Will add it to this post when I've found it

Regards

Angela
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><br />Especially looking for - Sealey, Rogers, Cannings, Box, Sheppard in Wiltshire; Virgin, Slade, Abbott, Saint, Harper, Silverthorn in Somerset; and Virgin, Tarr, Beer in Devon

And most especially the origins of William Cannings,  a Baptist, born abt 1791 in Broughton Gifford, Wiltshire

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 19 February 10 15:33 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Angela

I did try it with wordpad, however the file was over 200 mb big and froze, even on my supercharged new laptop! 

But if at the end of the day that is the only way, I shall have to persevere and work my way through it.

Kerry

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline AngelaR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 19 February 10 15:36 GMT (UK) »
You won't have to do that Kerry!

Can't find the link I wanted so will do it manually. Is the data in a file called Inbox.msf?
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><br />Especially looking for - Sealey, Rogers, Cannings, Box, Sheppard in Wiltshire; Virgin, Slade, Abbott, Saint, Harper, Silverthorn in Somerset; and Virgin, Tarr, Beer in Devon

And most especially the origins of William Cannings,  a Baptist, born abt 1791 in Broughton Gifford, Wiltshire

Offline AngelaR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 19 February 10 15:42 GMT (UK) »
I would suggest that you

a) rename the file to something like Oldinbox.msf
b) Go  to Documents and Settings/yourname/ApplicationData/Thunderbird/Profiles/mail/local folders   (if that's what you usually use - it's the default) Correction - Go  to Documents and Settings/yourname/ApplicationData/Thunderbird/Profiles. In there you'll find a folder with a weird name. In that folder, you'll find mail/LocalFolders
c) copy your file into the Local Folders

Added:

If you open Thunderbird, you should find the old file next to your new inbox

Offline AngelaR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 19 February 10 16:05 GMT (UK) »
Yet another correction (I should have set this out systematically before jumping in - sorry  :( )

The archive file you have shouldn't have a .msf extension. Thunderbird creates that when it finds the file.

Bet this is clear as mud  ;D

I shall continue by PM  ::)

Angela

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 19 February 10 16:11 GMT (UK) »
Angela

Just discovered that for myself and guess what!

It worked.  I have my emails, all my family history contacts  :-* :-* :-*

I am so relieved, I could cry  ;D

thank you from the bottom of my heart

Kerry

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Has anyone an ancestor who looks similar to this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 19 February 10 17:03 GMT (UK) »
Gosh

I wish I'd known that before.  I managed to "lose" all my e-mails a couple of years back and in the end bought an e-mail retrieval program.  Well it retrieves anything really, so the money wasn't wasted if I have another brainstorm and lose/delete files I want.

Lizzie