Author Topic: Cottle  (Read 8288 times)

Offline EDWARDO

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Cottle
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 21 February 10 14:54 GMT (UK) »
Voirrey m. :o wow that will be worth the wait,even if there is nothing THATS A NICE OFFER.THANKS.Ted ;D

Offline Voirrey M

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 21 February 10 15:54 GMT (UK) »
BACK  to   old   Kirk  Braddan   again----  Isabella   Christian   Waterson   baptised   11th  March   1847  father  John
Waterson  /mother   Isabella   Clague.

Old   Kirk   Braddan  on  outskirts  of   Douglas  now  was  then  the   parish  church  for  most  of  town  round  the
harbour  &   a  couple of  miles  walk  along  the  bank  of  the  River  Douglas.  St  Matthews  was  built  as  a  chapel of
ease  on the  harbour side  to  help the townsfolk/fisherfolk  get  to  church  more  easily.
"  Snowdrop"  afternoon  teas  in  the  old  church   to  raise  funds  to  maintain it.It   was    very,  very  cold ---no
heating  or electric  lights  but  they  have  Summer  Sunday  evening  services  there.  The  much larger" new  " church  is  across  the  road.

Offline Voirrey M

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 21 February 10 16:01 GMT (UK) »
I   should  have  previewed  that !!   I   meant  to  say  I   was   at  the   Tea   last  Sunday,  fortunately  a  fine  day  as
there's  been  a  lot  of  snow  in  places  today

Offline Voirrey M

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 22 February 10 19:33 GMT (UK) »
Old     Kirk   Braddan/  Isle of  Man
Edward Cottle/Bachelor and Margaret Gelling /Spinster both of this Parish married in this Church by Licence this 17th day of April 1838 by me Wm. Carpenter Off. Minr.  This Marriage was solemnized between us  Edward Cottle/ Margaret
Cottle late Gelling/// In presence of Catherine Christie / John Coole/ Jas. Corran

Offline Voirrey M

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 22 February 10 19:52 GMT (UK) »
Old   Kirk  Braddan   IOM     1847

Isabella  Christian  daughter of John Waterson & Isabella Clague his wife ,baptized privately the 11th March & recd. into the Congregation the 14th March.

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 22 February 10 22:03 GMT (UK) »
1863: Cottle Edward, 73 Strand street under Bakers + Flour dealers in Thwaites directory (see www.manxnotebook.com)
in 1841 directory Cottle, — King-street. Baker
in 1841 census in King street with 2 children Wm + Edward both bapt Douglas St Matthews
does not appear in 1837 directory
english born Edward Cottle m Margt Gelling Braddan 18380417 thus would appear arrived in Island or set up in business maybe 1837
There is an active Gelling researcher on http://www.isle-of-man.com/cgi-bin/interests/genealogy/bulletin/index.pl?noframes who may be able to help with margt - there are a couple of possibilities born c. 1814 in douglas

http://www.manxnotebook.com/towns/douglas/t1834/index.htm will show you Sandstreet - 29 is about 1/3 of way heading North however the street  renumbered c 1880 - though much original property still remains some  houses around here were demolished to build the larger shops.
any thing with a Manx Connection

Offline EDWARDO

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 23 February 10 18:10 GMT (UK) »
Voirrey M.Thank you once again.have most on file(Exept Baptized Privately)Was Hoping to get Edward Cottle's parents names so I can go farther back.
if he was born in England I'll have to trawl to see if I can find his parents.many thanks for all your eforts on my behalf.Ted ;D

Offline EDWARDO

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 23 February 10 18:22 GMT (UK) »
Frances_mnb. thank you for the info and Addresses.the clue is in the "Do's not appear in m1837 Directory." ??? maybe still in England.gives me something to chase.also can I thank you for pointing me to the map of Sand st. ;D Ted.