Author Topic: Chesshyre family  (Read 7718 times)

Offline JDGen

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Chesshyre family
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 21 February 10 12:00 GMT (UK) »
Henry's book about his travels:

"Recollections of a five years' residence in Norway" by Henry Thomas N Chessyre.

Not sure if you are aware that it is available to download from here: http://www.archive.org/index.php

Alot of circumstantial information seems to indicate that his father might have been John Peter Henry CHESSHYRE who died in 1855 in Bath, Somerset.  His will is available to download from the National Archives for £3.50:  http://www.rootschat.com/links/0833/   

It might confirm the connection between Henry TN, James W and Charles John - and their parentage.

Jean

Amended after reading the thread properly!!
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

CHS: Barber(Tabley) Barlow(Antrobus) Blackshaw(Lymm, Mobberley) Blease/Done/Moore(G Bud) Owen(Netherton, Tabley) Spragg/Witter(Goostrey) Youd(Frodsham) Pennell Bankes Birchall Beckett
DBY: Higginbottom(Mellor)
HRT: Gurney
HRT/BED/ESS: Verney (Markyate St)
LAN: Davenport(Bolton) Schofield/Gurney(Oldham) Lord(Heap) Quinn(Manchester) Sutcliffe(Rossendale)
NTH: Tubb/Johnson(Hellidon)Brown(Kettering)
YKS: Scott(Clapham)

Offline JDGen

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 21 February 10 12:23 GMT (UK) »
In the 1861 census, Charles John CHESSHYRE has a son called Charles Newton CHESSHYRE aged 2 months: RG9 1801/122 Page 28 - which adds to the possiblity that there may be a connection.

Jean

CHS: Barber(Tabley) Barlow(Antrobus) Blackshaw(Lymm, Mobberley) Blease/Done/Moore(G Bud) Owen(Netherton, Tabley) Spragg/Witter(Goostrey) Youd(Frodsham) Pennell Bankes Birchall Beckett
LAN: Davenport(Bolton) Schofield/Gurney(Oldham) Lord(Heap) Quinn(Manchester) Sutcliffe(Rossendale)

Offline anglo-norwegian

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 21 February 10 12:58 GMT (UK) »
Hallo JDGen
I am seething with excitement - you are giving so many leads that I haven't time to reply & only try to keep up.
I had been rather hooked on the Admiral Thomas idea because of the names - people often use the same christian names in a family - esp. if one is going into the same profession. Now I am working on the Will. John P H C was from Little Eastern in Essex - I have seen him in the census but had discarded the idea...

Charles John C. how old was he in the 1861 census?

Henry T.N.C. left for Norway in June 1853, so inherited from his aunt before that - how long did it take in those days to get your inheritance??

Offline JDGen

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 21 February 10 13:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi A-N,

It would vary on the length of time to receive an inheritance - probate can be granted quite quickly though.

Here is the 1861 census in full:
Charles J CHESSHYRE, Head, Mar, 44, Attorney and Solicitor born Little Easton, Essex
Mary Anne CHESSHYRE, Wife, Mar, 44, born Leicestershire Louth [as shown although I think Louth is in Lincolnshire and definitely says Mary Anne and not Mary Susan]
Alma Mary CHESSHYRE, Dau, 6 born Gloucestershire, Cheltenham
[Next Page]
Ida Naomi G CHESSHYRE, Dau, 3 born Gloucestershire, Cheltenham
Charles Newton CHESSHYRE, Son, ? months born Gloucestershire, Cheltenham

Marriage of Charles John:

Hull Packet and East Riding Times, Friday October 15th 1852
October 7th at Bath, at the Trinity Church by the Rev F A Gace M A, Charles John Chesshyre, Esq, eldest son of the Rev J P Chesshyre, rector of Little Easton, Essex, to Mary Susan, Second daughter of the late Langley Gace, Esq of Louth, Lincolnshire

Jean

Offline anglo-norwegian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 21 February 10 16:23 GMT (UK) »
Fantastic, Jean!
Now I have worked hard on the will of John Peter Henry Chesshyre. At the time of making his will he had 10 living children - 5 boys & 5 girls. Henry Thomas Newton was the 3rd. son. He seems to have left Henry T less than any of the others.

That must be because Henry had already inherited from his aunt - and had gone off on his adventures to Norway. He had had his chance, apparently.

The Charles John & James William are the 2 elder brothers of Henry.
How can I find out more about John Peter & his wife Charlotte Frances(to find the aunt)?

Offline JDGen

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 21 February 10 17:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi A-N,

There seems to be some information that doesn't quite match up!  The IGI has the baptism of John Peter Henry CHESSHYRE as 16th March 1791 at Benington, parents John and Julia.
You can search here for free: http://www.rootschat.com/links/0bq/

You can also search for the Surname CHESSHYRE using the batch number C072161 which will give you other children of John & Julia baptised at Benington.

http://www.hertsdirect.org/libsleisure/heritage1/HALS/indexes/ - you can search for the surname CHESSHYRE and you will see some marriage entries and a couple of obituary references for Hertfordshire.

But it doesn't match with the Cambridge Alumni entries below:

Cambridge University Alumni has entries for John and his father who was Charles Caesar Cholmondely CHESSHYRE:

John Peter Henry CHESSHYRE
College: St John’s
Entered: Michaelmas. 1808
Adm. at ST JOHN'S, June 27, 1808.
Son of John [sic - see below] Caesar Cholmondely CHESSHYRE (1773), Esq., of Bennington, Herts.
Matriculated Michaelmas 1808; B.A. 1812; M.A. 1819.
Rector of Little Easton, Essex, 1815. V. of Tilty, 1841-55.
Inherited the manor of Bennington from his father, but sold it to George Proctor, Esq., May 14, 1826.
Married Charlotte Frances Commeline on 17th January 1816, at Bennington.
Died 2 August 1855, aged 64, at 1, Catherine Place, Bath.

Charles Caesar Cholmondely CHESSHYRE
College: St John's
Entered: Michs. 1773
Adm. pens. at ST JOHN'S, Oct. 8, 1773.
2nd son of John, of New Windsor, Berkshire, and of Bennington, Herts.
School, Eton .
Matriculated Michs. 1773; Scholar, 1773; B.A. 1778.
Adm. at Lincoln's Inn, Jan. 23, 1776.
Of Bennington, Herts. His career has not been traced. Brother of the next and father of John P. H. (1808).
There is a note on this record to say that in the college admission register, the name appears as John, but on his own admission entry he has written Charles.

This is the next entry on the register:
John CHESSHYRE
College: TRINITY HALL
Entered: Michs. 1770
Adm. pens. at TRINITY HALL, Apr. 6, 1770.
Son and heir of John, of New Windsor, and of Bennington Park, Herts.
School, Eton.
Matriculated Michs. 1770; Scholar, 1770.
Succeeded his father at Bennington, 1786.
Drowned. Brother of the above [Charles]

Lots of information - there are a couple of Hertforshire wills for CHESSHYRE females on the site where John Peter Henry's will was - but nothing that exactly matches the timescales for an 1853 departure.

Jean

Offline JDGen

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 21 February 10 18:43 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if this is the will with the bequest: - although it could be on his mother's side of the family....

Will of Caroline Harriet Chesshyre, Spinster of Boulogne Sur Mer, France dated 14th March 1853 (this may well be the probate date, not the date the will was made) - there is a christening for Caroline Harriot CHESSHYRE 22 September 1787 at Benington, daughter of John and Julia CHESSHYRE.

Jean

Offline anglo-norwegian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 21 February 10 20:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jean!
I tried & tried the free search (first http adress in long post) but couldnt get anything up- not using the batch no. either - dont know what I'm doing wrong ??? I would dearly like to see who the other children of John & Julia were. >:(
I suppose Essex has a sight like Hertfordshire - do you have the web address - is there some way I could find it for myself - feel aweful always asking ::)

I found Caroline Harriet (spinster and living in France.) 's will and have read through it
She left all proceeds to her brother John except for books & plate, which were first to go to unmarried daughters of John, & if they married, then to go equally to Henry T.N. and Stark Montgomery (the youngest - who gets most from his father anyway!)
Its hard to see that Henry got very much from this.

Offline JDGen

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 21 February 10 20:32 GMT (UK) »
Oh, how interesting.

OK, well Jack Montgomery CHESSHYRE died in 1871 aged only 35 -  www.freebmd.org.uk.  But you are right, sounds like she left most to Henry's father - bonus is that at least it further validates the connection.

This is what I have for children of John & Julia:

Catherine bap 11 Sep 1781
Elizabeth Julia Bap 5 Jan 1783
Caroline Harriot bap 22 Sep 1787
Peter John bap 11 Feb 1789
John Peter Henry bap 16 Mar 1791
Elizabeth Priscilla bap 26 May 1792

Essex Records Office do have a site: http://seax.essexcc.gov.uk/ - and have lots of records online, but not for Little Easton at the right period as far as I can see!

Children of John Chesshyre and Penelope (possibly Brereton)
John 26 Feb 1750 Benington
John 28 Jul 1752 Benington
James 6 Feb 1754 Benington
Charles Caesar Cholmondeley 28 May 1756 Clewer
Maria 6 Jul 1758 Clewer
Margaret 6 Jul 1758 Clewer

Jean