Author Topic: Chesshyre family  (Read 7721 times)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Chesshyre family
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 20 February 10 22:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi

That helps us to understand your interest - because he shows himself as unmarried it was a bit puzzling. 

I don't know what info is available on Norwegian marriage certs for that time but am I correct in assuming it does not show any details of his father
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 20 February 10 22:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi A-N

As Carole suggests, we would normally look at marriage certs for clues to parentage, age, occupation and possibly even birthplace.  Are there records in Norway concerning immigration, property purchase, professional directory entries?

Where do you suppose he was in 1841, and 1851 censuses?

How do you know about the inheritance and who was his aunt?

Have you tried the National Archives for his service records - a post on the Armed Forces board here might help.

Where was the 1872 letter from

We could do with a timeline to know where to look for him!

Kind regards, Arranroots  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline anglo-norwegian

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 20 February 10 22:26 GMT (UK) »
PS to Carolew
Thanks for the links - I shall work on them tommorrow!! :)

You are right about no info. relating to his parentage in the marriage - actually because he didn't actually get married...in his book he makes a comment under the topic of marriage customs that people didn't always get married ( a sop to his own bad conscience I think). However he did fully own paternity to his children, having them baptized with godparents all written in the church records.
He did do his best by them, but after he left for Canada, hoping to make a home there to which he could bring them, he was totally dependent on the help of the local aristocrat, his friend, to keep contact with her. No-one in the higher circles could understand his wish. Normally you would just slink off - he didn't.

Offline JDGen

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 20 February 10 22:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi A-N,

I have a connection to the Runcorn Chesshyre family but only through the marriage in 1752 of Robert Chesshyre to Mary Bankes - I think that it is at Frodsham where I've seen the list of vicars including the Chesshyre name.

Jean
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

CHS: Barber(Tabley) Barlow(Antrobus) Blackshaw(Lymm, Mobberley) Blease/Done/Moore(G Bud) Owen(Netherton, Tabley) Spragg/Witter(Goostrey) Youd(Frodsham) Pennell Bankes Birchall Beckett
DBY: Higginbottom(Mellor)
HRT: Gurney
HRT/BED/ESS: Verney (Markyate St)
LAN: Davenport(Bolton) Schofield/Gurney(Oldham) Lord(Heap) Quinn(Manchester) Sutcliffe(Rossendale)
NTH: Tubb/Johnson(Hellidon)Brown(Kettering)
YKS: Scott(Clapham)

Offline anglo-norwegian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 20 February 10 22:49 GMT (UK) »
Hallo Arranroots!
He was at sea both in 1841 & 1851. I have managed to find out about his career in the Navy. As regards his inheritance, he writes this in his book about Norway, but I don't know who his aunt was - maybe one of Admiral Thomas Chesshyre's 9 daughters, some of whom may have been unmarried & so...?
The 1872 letter was from Scotland, where he was visiting friends whom he had known in Norway. The letter tells me much - he had seen his wife & daughter, was now penniless, disillusioned but resigned, would return to "Babylon"- his euphemism for London?- and to C.H. after some 6 weeks (c.October)
I have all his life between 1840 & 1872 because of his career, books & his letter writing, plus the documents I have managed to find...but his beginning & his end..

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 20 February 10 22:54 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for explaining!

I wonder whether you have tried to trace the probate of the will - again the National Archives is the place (I think - someone will correct me if I'm wrong!)  You might have to go "around the houses" to work out his origins, but if you can establish who this aunt was, that might help!

So it sounds as though the will was proved sometime in the years before 1872?

C.H. - is he still in the Navy at this time? Could it be something like Company Headquarters, rather than a place?  Maybe it's a house name, which could be problematic!

Will sleep on it!

;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline anglo-norwegian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 20 February 10 23:05 GMT (UK) »
Hello Jean!
Robert, married in 1752...so that is not one of Admiral Thomas's children. He had a Robert born in 1768...could still have been the same family tho'

How can I follow up on this family?
Another question is should one be trying to find more 'Newton Chesshyres'..
I found one - Edward Newton Ch. born c.1851 on a ships list to New York...but I can't make that fit in somehow.
Another Newton Ch. family I found were all artisans - didn't quite fit the picture. You couldn't become an officer in the R.N. if you were not from a higher class family.

Offline JDGen

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 21 February 10 08:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi A-N,

There was a Robert CHESSHYRE who entered Caius college, Cambridge in 1670 - son of Thomas of Halton, Cheshire. He was later the vicar of Runcorn.

This site: http://fsbeta.familysearch.org/s/ has a number of baptisms for the surname CHESSHYRE in Cheshire - most are at Runcorn / Halton.

I'm pretty sure that one of the CHESSHYRE family was vicar at Frodsham St Lawrence as well - I think he may have been the father of the Robert CHESSHYRE who married into my line.

I'll have a dig round and see what I can find.

Jean

CHS: Barber(Tabley) Barlow(Antrobus) Blackshaw(Lymm, Mobberley) Blease/Done/Moore(G Bud) Owen(Netherton, Tabley) Spragg/Witter(Goostrey) Youd(Frodsham) Pennell Bankes Birchall Beckett
LAN: Davenport(Bolton) Schofield/Gurney(Oldham) Lord(Heap) Quinn(Manchester) Sutcliffe(Rossendale)

Offline JDGen

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 21 February 10 09:17 GMT (UK) »
Hertfordshire Archives seem to have a conveyance document that mentions Henry T N CHESSHYRE and James W CHESSHYRE dated 1856.

This extract seems to connect the Cheshire branch with those in Hertfordshire:
http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Page:Dictionary_of_National_Biography_volume_10.djvu/209

And another reference to James William CHESSHYRE, banker, and a Charles John CHESSHYRE of Cheltenham:  http://www.rootschat.com/links/0831/   

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0832/ - appointment of an attorney "Mr Henry T N Chesshyre about to go abroad, 1835 and 1856"

Much of this suggest his roots were in the Hertford area.

Jean