Author Topic: William and Ellen Charlesworth.  (Read 5482 times)

Offline dandylion

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William and Ellen Charlesworth.
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 21 February 10 16:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Trish, Sorry don't have wedding cert, all info is from census and freeBMD site. Rowena.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 22 February 10 04:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rowena,
May I suggest that you purchase that Marriage Cert as it may hold the key to your enquiry.
Reasons;
-- I have been unable to find William conclusively in 1841 census alone. There are a few married ones.
-- As he was in his 40's when marrying Ellen he may have been married before and you may have other Charlesworth relatives.
-- The Witnesses on the Cert may be relevant to your research.
-- If their is no Father named for him then we can be pretty sure Ann/Anne is his Mother.
-- It should say if he is a Widower etc.

Certs are are INCREDIBLY important to make sure we are following the right Family line.
They also often hold incredible info.
All I had on my G/G/G/Grandmother was that she appeared on the 1841 Census in Northumberland , born 1766, Scotland.
Her 1846 Death Cert said " Widow of Robert Reid, Weaver of Chirnside, Berwickshire, Scotland"
How amazing was that ;D
Without that info I would have been unable to search further back.

I strongly urge you to get the Cert.

Cheers,
Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 22 February 10 04:49 GMT (UK) »
Just to pique your interest there is this possible Marriage;
William CHARLESWORTH/Rebecca WILSON, 12 April 1827, Darfield.
+ i in 1834 to Mary KAY in Darfiled
( all extracted IGI)
And that is only supposing they are from the same Parish as if he did marry before the spouse could be from anywhere even another County and they married there.
As Ebch kindly stated Darfield is only 2 miles from Ardsley.

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline paperwork

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 21 April 18 19:18 BST (UK) »
Hi, I hate to throw a spanner in the works, but I have Ellen as being Ellen Riley with her parents (Bernard and Mary from Ireland).  I have 1841 census for her as being 15, but then 2 of her other siblings were also 15, I am sure they weren't triplets.  I also have marriage cert dated 1848 William Charlesworth (Widower) Miner at Ardsley and Ellen Riley Spinster her father Bernard Riley, weaver.  Witnesses George Pickering and Caroline Walton.  Does this help?  I guess this shows she didn't marry John Riley first, but she did have that first son Henry Riley in 1845.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 22 April 18 17:02 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat paperwork.

Thank you for that interesting info.

As you say Ellen was nee Riley;
Thanks to the newish GRO index these things can be checked now and it was not possible in 2010 when Rowena 1st posted this query.

GRO Index;
Birth Reg's
CHARLESWORTH, GEORGE, Mothers mn RILEY**
GRO Reference: 1849  M Quarter in ECCLESFIELD  Volume 22  Page 155
RILEY, HENRY , no Mothers mn (illegitimate)
GRO Reference: 1844  S Quarter in ECCLESFIELD  Volume 22  Page 141

Hopefully Rowena willll reply to this, she hasnt been on here since 2015.

Does William name a Father on the 1848 M/C?

Trish :)

Offline paperwork

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 22 April 18 17:23 BST (UK) »
No father's name for Henry Riley on Marriage Cert.  William and Ellen Charlesworth were my Great, Great Grandparents.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 22 April 18 17:30 BST (UK) »
No, I meant does William Charlesworth name a Father on the 1848 M/C?
Just trying to establish his Mother was Ann Charlesworth who married Samuel Hague.

Offline patvp1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 23 April 18 01:43 BST (UK) »
Hi - William Charlesworth (husband of my 3rd great aunt born 20 Nov 1803, Ardsley West Yorkshire. Parents Joshua Charlesworth 1776- ? and Ann Senior/Haigh 1777-1862
Married Ellen Riley 14 May 1848. He was in Ardsley in 1851 and Barnsley in 1861, His death is registered Jan 1864.
Ellen Riley my great aunt x3 1826-1902
Children -
Henry 1845-1920
George 1849-1926
Joseph 1851-1902
Mary 1853-1930
William John 1855-1934
Sophia 1856-1935
Michael 1860-1942
Walter 1863-1954
Sarah 1865-1928

paperwork - looks as tho' we have a couple of things in common here and I cannot recall if we have been in touch before (I think not) you will have to bear with me as all internet lines in my area are in a hell of a mess and haam having problems trying to get back to normal.

Hoping this is allowed.....quite correct - Ellen's parents were Bernard Riley and Mary ?
Hope to hear from you ..regards Patvp

Hall (Dunblane) Robertson (Clackmannanshire) Sneddon (Clackmannan) Cramb (Perthshire) Marshall (Clackmmannan) Michie (Clackmannan) Stewart (Perthshire) Ferguson (Perthshire) McKay (Perthshire) McLaren (Perthshire) Moir (Perthshire)
West Yorkshire - Allott, Riley, Charlesworth, Barker, Harper, Rubery, Darlison, Vaughan.

Offline paperwork

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 26 April 18 06:44 BST (UK) »
Hi patvp1
I am only feeling my way around this site, so I dont know where anything is, or quite what I am allowed to do, but yes, that is my family. I am a little confused about Ann Senior/Haigh, I am not sure whether her maiden name was Senior or Charlesworth.   I have a couple of confusing baptism records  one August I think where William Charlesworth was baptised (mother Ann Charlesworth, no father in tow) and one where William Charlesworth (illegitimate) was baptised March 4th mother (Ann Charlesworth late Ann Senior widow of unreadable) both in the same year, I do have the census where Ann Haigh is living with William when she is 74, and receiving parish support.  My great grandfather was William's son Michael.