Author Topic: Robert GIRLING b. Ipswich 1844.  (Read 7086 times)

Offline Hephzibah

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Robert GIRLING b. Ipswich 1844.
« on: Saturday 20 February 10 16:31 GMT (UK) »
My 3x great uncle Robert Girling, an Ipswich builder, married Ellen Last. Both were stalwarts of Stoke Green Baptist Church. Robert died on the 14 Nov 1935 & Ellen died on 7 Feb 1938.They had six children
Robert James (1867-1944) m. Jessie Laura Sadd;
Alice (b abt 1870) m. William Smith;
Annie (b abt 1873) m Herbert Eustace Sadd;
Arthur (b abt 1876) m. Lily Longhurst;
Edwin (1883-1983) m. Kate Wilson 
Harry Percy (b abt 1879) m Edith Gertrude Sadd.

I have a photograph of Robert & Ellen with their large family: I believe this may have been taken on their Golden Wedding Anniversary in 1916.
Are there any descendants of Robert & Ellen who may beable to help in identifying individual family members on the photograph?

Hephzibah.
PENDAL & variants: Suffolk; Bardwell, Tannington, Weybread, Dennington & Worlingworth
ELLINOR: Suffolk; Redgrave/ Gislingham.
GRAYSTON: Suffolk; Ipswich.
GIRLING: Suffolk; Stradbroke/Ipswich
HAWES: Suffolk; Harkstead/Holbrook/Capel St Mary/Ipswich
BECK: Co Durham; Chopwell & Northumberland; Newcastle upon Tyne.
MILLER: Cumberland; Mawbray/Hayrigg/ Silloth.
FAIRLAM: Co Durham; Allendale Cottages, Low Westwood, Milkwell Burn.
WESTGARTH: Co Durham; Bishop Auckland

Offline Tom Piper

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Girling b. Ipswich 1844.
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 20 February 10 17:11 GMT (UK) »
Hephzibah

I have no connection with your family and cannot help with any identification, however I have been reading a lot about Robert Girling in the Ipswich journal, have seen many adverts of his building company, and the buildings he built, the churches etc.

I also have found his daughter's marriage on 13th July, 1893 at the baptist church, Stoke Green Chapel, by the Rev. R. E. Willis, William Charles Smith of Albion House, St. Matthew's, to Ellen Alios, eldest daughter of Robert Girling, both of this parish. The marriage was reported in the newspaper, Saturday July, 15th, 1893.

Also, on 25th March, 1896, at Stoke Green Chapel, by the same minister, Herbert Eustace, fourth son, of John Granger Sadd of Mauldon, to Annie, youngest daughter of Robert Girling.
Reported on March 28, 1896.

Robert also tendered to build Ipswich Fire Station, for £4, 285 to be erected on a plot of land in Bond Street, in 1898.

Do you have access to this newspaper?

Tom

Offline Hephzibah

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 20 February 10 18:07 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Tom.  I live locally so am able to see the newspapers at the Ipswich Record Office.
Robert's family appear a facinating branch; three Girlings (Baptists) married three Sadds (Congregationalists) & builders, missionaries & ministers abound! Robert built a great many houses in the town - even the one he lived in himself!
His obit in the EADT 18 Nov 1935 described him as 'one of a type fast dying out, an adherent of the strict Victorian religious rules of life combined with high ideals of workmanship in his business dealings'....and in the photos I have of him, he looks very severe with nay a twinkle in his eye!
Thanks again for responding
Hephzibah

PENDAL & variants: Suffolk; Bardwell, Tannington, Weybread, Dennington & Worlingworth

Offline Tom Piper

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 20 February 10 22:25 GMT (UK) »
Okay then that's fine, I see that Herbert Sadd is in Google books as well, the Timber Trades and Sawmill advertiser no less of 1954.

H E Sadd of John Sadd & Sons apparently.

Quite a character then your Robert Girling!

Tom

Offline triciasadd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Robert GIRLING b. Ipswich 1844.
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 16 March 10 00:49 GMT (UK) »
Hephzibah

We have a great amount of Girlings on our family tree.  Herbert Eustace Sadd is my husband  Marty Sadds'  Granduncle.  It is a huge family tree done by our cousin Mark Blaydes.  The Blaydes were shipbuilders in Hull.  The more famous ships they built were HMS Rose and HMS Bounty.  Robert James Girling is the husband of Martys Grandaunt.  My husband Martys' Grandfather is Harry William Sadd and his Great Grandfather is John Granger Sadd.   I have found a large amount of information in the Essex Record Office also.  Photos etc.  If you need any information I would be delighted to help.

Tricia

Offline Hephzibah

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 16 March 10 21:43 GMT (UK) »
Hello Tricia,
Thank you very much for replying. I donot know much about the Sadd family except for the ones married to Girlings...and wasn't it Harry Sadd who died early and left 8 children, one of whom was Alfred who was a missionary in the Gilbert Islands?
I had contact with Mark in 2001 but a subsequent e mail about three years ago was bounced back.
I'll send a personal message.
Hephzibah

Offline Hephzibah

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 17 March 10 16:04 GMT (UK) »
Just noticed from another posting that you have to have 3 postings before being able to receive a private message

Offline triciasadd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 19 March 10 18:06 GMT (UK) »
Yes it was Harry William Sadd who died and left 8 children.  One of whom is my husbands father Charles Edwin Sadd.  Alfred Sadd (third youngest of the 8 did die in the Gilberts when the Japanese invaded in 1942. There is a book called "Alfred Sadd of the Gilberts  A Memoir" there was also a BBC radio show about Alfred.  The youngest of the 8 children  Tadgel Sadd married Kathleen Wilson Girling.

Tricia

Offline Lindo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 21 February 12 14:04 GMT (UK) »
Dear Tricia,

tonight after many years I have just tracked down my Uncle's first wife, Francis Ellison Myers nee Fletcher.  She I think would be your husbands mother if I have read your post correctedly.   My uncle was 24 in the RAF during the Second World War when he lost his life.   My father and his brother were much much younger than their brother Julian Gilbert Keydell Myers but remember him with great affection.   My greatest hope is that there could be the slimmest possibility that Frances kept a photo of her first husband.  The Myers family broke up for several reasons and not one photo remains of Julian, memories are few because of his early death.   If you had any image of him you could scan and share or any stories (unlikely though that would be) I would love to here from you.   Twenty years ago I had always hoped that I might find Frances still alive, but that has of course grown ever slimmer and I see she died in 1983.
I would be so grateful if you could get in touch even if its just to acknowledge you have received this

best wishes
Clara