Author Topic: Lost Marriage - help please  (Read 3880 times)

Offline wozzle

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lost Marriage - help please
« Reply #9 on: Friday 26 February 10 12:29 GMT (UK) »
here is the entry
HO107/99/12/8/28
samuel pimlet age 30. occ. agr.lab
mary pimlet age 25
peter pimlet age 4
william pimlet age 1
living at;cheadle heath,cheadle,cheshire
reg dist; stockport
all born in county
cattell,alcester
vickers,sulgrave
hewish,holborn
manley,bethnal green
barnes,bassingbourn

Offline JDGen

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 26 February 10 19:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi usacheshire and wozzle,

Well, that would seem cast some doubt unless we can pinpoint both marriages - this is the 1841 for the Blackshaw/Pimlott family:

HO107 94/2/9  Page 12 at Mobberley

William BLACKSHAW, 56, Bricklayer, Y
Betty BLACKSHAW, 60, Y
Betty BLACKSHAW, 20, Cotton Weaver, Y
Mary PIMLOTT, 28, Cotton Weaver, Y
Jane PIMLOTT, 6, Y
Thomas PIMLOTT, 4, Y
Betty PIMLOTT, 3, Y
Samuel PIMLOTT, 1, Y
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

CHS: Barber(Tabley) Barlow(Antrobus) Blackshaw(Lymm, Mobberley) Blease/Done/Moore(G Bud) Owen(Netherton, Tabley) Spragg/Witter(Goostrey) Youd(Frodsham) Pennell Bankes Birchall Beckett
DBY: Higginbottom(Mellor)
HRT: Gurney
HRT/BED/ESS: Verney (Markyate St)
LAN: Davenport(Bolton) Schofield/Gurney(Oldham) Lord(Heap) Quinn(Manchester) Sutcliffe(Rossendale)
NTH: Tubb/Johnson(Hellidon)Brown(Kettering)
YKS: Scott(Clapham)

Offline usacheshire

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 26 February 10 20:47 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for keeping at it folks. 

Young Thomas was, years later, apprenticed as a wood turner to his  Uncle, the same trade as his missing father.  Jane married a tailor and they set up business in Grove street, Wilmslow. Betty, married a farmers son from Nether Alderley and they set up shop in the new Alderley Edge.
Samuel for many years was employed as a carter, living in Heaton Mersey, turning farmer by 1891 in the same area off Didsbury Road.

In the intervening years the girls were in service, Elizabeth in Wilmslow.

So the only missing piece for me is the marriage.     

I wondered, because Elizabeth was married in Wilmslow, whether her parents were also married there.   St Barts records are not on line and hard to read as I understand from other posts. 
Baskerville,Blackshaw,Perrin,Pimlott  -  Alderley & Mobberley  Chesh
Haynes,Canadine,Yates,Wycherley,Owen -Broseley Salop
Clarke, Tillett,Tidman,Beldon -  Norfolk

Offline Rod Blackshaw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 18 February 21 16:19 GMT (UK) »
Only 11 years behind the conversation....

I don't know whether this will help but I have been delving into this line of the Blackshaws. Currently I think this William BLACKSHAW first married Hannah WALLEY in 1806 in Alderley. They had a surviving son, Abraham, in 1807 and a second, William, who was born and died in 1808. Hannah also died in 1808 a few months earlier, all in Mobberley.

William BLACKSHAW then married Betty MOLLINEAUX in 1809. I have confidently found 5 children to date: William (bpt 9/1/1810, Elizabeth (bpt 26/3/1811) and triplets - Mary, Hannah and John (b. 24/9/1815). The William born 1810 ties in with the William junior in the Mobberley census and Mary is about the right age to have married Samuel Pimlott around 1834.

I do not know who the Betty BLACKSHAW aged 20 in the 1841 census is or how she fits in. I found a birth record for an Elizabeth BLACKSHAW in 1821 to a William and Betty but in this record (and another one for a David in 1816) William is described as a 'higgler' rather than the his usual 'bricklayer'. I am weighing up the possibility that he changed his job (post-Napoleonic Wars depression?) because bricklaying work dried up. If the Elizabeth (bpt 1811) died before 1821 then reuse of the name is possible and this would strengthen the argument. If anyone has access to the death/burial records in Mobberley for this period then I would appreciate a bit of help! 

Offline usacheshire

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 19 February 21 12:58 GMT (UK) »
It might be a long time ago, but in spite of covid I'm still here. 
My father had often told me we were cousins with the Pimlotts (they had a shop in Wilmslow and it used to trigger the memory) , and I did trace where Elizabeth Pimlott married Edward Perrin at St Bartholomews, my great grandparents.  I never followed up the Blackshaw side but I guess that means that we are cousins.   I did see that the Mill in Bosley where I found Samuel as a woodturner caught fire a few years back.
Coincidence or what, there was a pub on Brook Lane Alderley in 60's/70's where one of the regulars was called Ken Blackshaw and I believe he was a builder,  one of yours?   
Baskerville,Blackshaw,Perrin,Pimlott  -  Alderley & Mobberley  Chesh
Haynes,Canadine,Yates,Wycherley,Owen -Broseley Salop
Clarke, Tillett,Tidman,Beldon -  Norfolk

Offline Rod Blackshaw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 19 February 21 14:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Glad to hear you haven't been covided (if that is the term). My brain has started aching trying to work out how distant were are as cousins. Even then I think we are 'half' cousins because I come from an earlier marriage than the Pimlott connection.

I saw in some of the trail that there was a Cheadle connection. I believe there is still a Pimlott's butchers shop in Cheadle Hulme so that might be another connection.

I did have an uncle Kenneth who lived in Wilmslow and was definitely a drinker so it could have been him. I can only think, if it was, that he was in Alderley because he had been barred from his Wilmslow locals. The builder description is puzzling though because I only ever knew him as working on the buses or unemployed. The period works and was his 'heyday'.