Author Topic: William MARTYN - St Wenn  (Read 3218 times)

Offline taire

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William MARTYN - St Wenn
« on: Sunday 21 February 10 03:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi,  I just found this list and I am looking for the family of my grgrgr-grandfather William Martyn from St. Wenn outside of St. Columb, though some family records show them as living in St. Columb.

William Martyn was born in Cornwall in  Approx 1802-1805.  He married Mary Haines (or Haynes) on June 1, 1833 in St. Glennys.  Mary was probably born in 1809 though family notes mention 1807.

Their son William Martyn was born in 1832 in St. Wenn as was his daughter Elizabeth born in 1834 and his son Charles born June 12, 1840.  I can locate them in the 1841 census for St. Wenn.  By about 1850 they relocated to Fullarton, Perth, Ontario, Canada and I can find them living there and in the United States (where I am from) and trace them to the present.

I am wondering if he might fit into the tree that someone on this list might be researching.  Many families from Cornwall ended up in Fullarton, Perth, Ontario Canada.

Thank you.

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Its my Party - I can eat cake
    • View Profile
Re: William MARTIN - St Wenn
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 21 February 10 05:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi taire,

A Big Welcome to RootsChat.  ;D

I do not believe this family is a part of The MARTYN family of St Columb Minor therefore have split your post off.

By what I am seeing so far your family are generally MARTIN (marriage baptisms of 2 children, 1841 census in St Wenn and 1851 census in New Brunswick Fullarton, Perth, Ontario, Canada) although it looks like Charles may be listed as MARTYN at Birth and 1861 is MARTYN.

The St Columb Minor family are well researched. There is a wonderfull old tree and sorry, but this William is not a part of the family. St St Columb family are upper class and the name is MARTYN

Both William and Mary are sojourners at marriage so it may not be easy to pin them down.

Full transcripts of the marriage

http://www.cornwall-opc-database.org/moreinfo.php?ID=548906&dbtype=marriages&formval=

baptisms

MARTIN William 19 Jan 1834 St Breock parents William and Mary
MARTIN Elizabeth 13 Sep 1835 St Breock parents William and Mary

Cheers Kris  :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline taire

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: William MARTYN - St Wenn
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 21 February 10 06:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Actually, the Martyn family in New Brunswick in 1851 is not the same family.  They appear in the 1851 Canada Census in Fullarton Perth Ontario Canada.  They also appear in the 1861.  I descend from Charles Martyn.

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 21 February 10 06:46 GMT (UK) »
Sorry I did see the correct family in Fullarton. I have no idea why I typed New Brunswick  :-[

Kris

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 23 February 10 03:08 GMT (UK) »
I have been speaking to Taire privately but think I should continue down here for the benefit of others.

Now re Mary

Here is the baptism I initially spotted

HAIN Mary 23 Aug 1807 St Ives parents Edward and Mary

couldn't tie in a John or William (They did have a son Edward as well)

There is a William HAINES also in Fullarton in 1851. Taire believes he is Mary's brother. His marriage is listed in 1839 father Gerrance

http://www.cornwall-opc-database.org/moreinfo.php?ID=548934&dbtype=marriages&formval=

I note there are olso CORNISHES in Fullarton Ontario, and this William had a son Gerrance also.

so we have Mary and a John HAIN as witness at her marriage - also this William who's father is Gerrance so possibly siblings.

We have

HEANE Gerrance of St Gennys = CHIDLEY Margaret at Otterham 18 Dec 1803

perfect timing to be the parents not only to William who ends up in Fullarton but also to Mary and John

Now Whoooeeeeee...Look what I found  ;D

I havent followed the batch 101313807

HAYNE Mary 1 May 1808 Otterham parents Gerrance and Margaret

also at Otterham same parents

HAYNE Elizabeth 25 July 1805
HAYNE Loveday 19 Feb 1816

then at St Gennys - extracted records

HAINS Ann 2 Apr 1820 parents Gerence and Margaret
HAINS Gerrance 3 Apr 1823 parents Gerrance and Margaret

I don't have time to look but that batch number is but suspect it may be a female only batch no therefore John and William may well have been baptised in Otterham also.  ;D

Seems to be all falling into place.

Cheers Kris  :)

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 20 January 16 16:05 GMT (UK) »
I have just begun the search on the Hayne (various spellings) family for a work colleague of mine. He is descended from William Haines in Fullarton, Ontario.  Have found a bunch of info in the last day or so. Would be interested in comparing notes.

Offline taire

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 20 January 16 23:37 GMT (UK) »
I would love to share information with you.  You can email me at tairer@aol.com

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 22 January 16 12:50 GMT (UK) »
I sent an email to your address;  hope you received it; sometimes AOL bounces mine back as spam. Mine is eileenwilson   AT    powergate   DOT    com