Author Topic: Scargill/Leather/Kaye/Gill families in Emley  (Read 8708 times)

Offline Holmemoss

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Scargill/Leather/Kaye/Gill families in Emley
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 29 January 11 09:23 GMT (UK) »
Thanking you for your post.

We have all made mistakes; the rule of thumb is to check, check and check again!
All WRY (Holmfirth/Linthwaite/Rastrick /Elland/Kirkburton/Barnsley)- Broadbent, Brook, Cartwright, Charlesworth, Dawson, Earnshaw, Ellis, Flather, Greaves, Hallas, Hirst, Holroyd, Houghland, Hoyle, Kilner, Littlewood, Mallinson, Mitchell, Morton, Scargill, Schofield, Swallow, Taylor, Youle

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 29 January 11 13:02 GMT (UK) »
Don't apologise Nemley, it is good and refreshing to see a researcher prepared to admit to an error. Too many don't or can't be bothered, and leave erroneous information on sites to the detriment of us all.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 26 May 18 12:04 BST (UK) »
For any family members still watching this topic, a new member Angela Hutchinson has used the 'report to moderator' button instead of posting on the topic.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=291642

l am a Scargill fom Emley and trying to find leathers has l thourght my grandma was a leather and then find she married as a Hill

and

can you tell me about the Leathers

Angela, unfortunately you don't have a post count so I can't send you a message directly but please come back to the topic and use the blue reply button to post a message here.

Dawn

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline Emley1786

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 28 May 18 09:11 BST (UK) »
The only direct Scargill-Leather link I’m aware of in Emley is the marriage of Thomas Leather and Jane Scargill in 1860. Noting your grandmother was a Hill, am I correct in assuming your grandfather was Edgar Scargill? If so, Jane Scargill was the first cousin of Edgar’s grandfather Edmund Scargill.
Scargill (all spelling variants): C12th to present day - worldwide
Rothwell/King-Irwin/Blake/Fry/Barnardo: C19th-C20th - Ireland

Offline Holmemoss

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 28 May 18 17:40 BST (UK) »
Emley1786 is, of course, correct - the only direct Scargill link is the marriage of Thomas Scargill on 28th July, 1860 at St Michael's Church in Emley.

If your Grandmother was Elizabeth A. Hill, she married Edgar Scargill in 1918 and they had two - possibly three - children, I am not sure about Muriel born in 1931 as she is ten years after Reginald.

The birth of an Elizabeth Ann Hill was registered in Wakefield in 1891 and the birth of an Elizabeth Ann Hill was registered in Wortley in 1897 - but I am only guessing one of these is your Grandmother - maybe the latter.

If you let us know what you are trying to find out then we can help.
All WRY (Holmfirth/Linthwaite/Rastrick /Elland/Kirkburton/Barnsley)- Broadbent, Brook, Cartwright, Charlesworth, Dawson, Earnshaw, Ellis, Flather, Greaves, Hallas, Hirst, Holroyd, Houghland, Hoyle, Kilner, Littlewood, Mallinson, Mitchell, Morton, Scargill, Schofield, Swallow, Taylor, Youle

Offline Emley1786

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 29 May 18 13:32 BST (UK) »
Elizabeth Ann Hill's age was given as 20 when she married at Emley in April 1918 which could point to the Elizabeth Ann where the birth was registered in 1897 at Wortley. No father was stated for Elizabeth Ann in the 1918 marriage register entry and in the online GRO indexes, no mother's maiden name is given for Elizabeth Ann Hill's birth registration in 1897. Noting that this may indicate that Elizabeth Ann was born out of wedlock and could have been recorded under other surnames, I had a look at the Emley census returns and did note an Elizabeth Hannah Leather aged 3 on the 1901 census daughter of Ashley Walker Leather and wife Esther Hannah and born in Silkstone near Barnsley (ties in with a birth registered in the Wortley district). She is then listed on the 1911 Emley census as E A Leather aged 13 with her parents and younger brother Lawrence Walker Leather although her place of birth is then given as Emley. After a quick dig around, I haven't found anything to link directly with the Hill family but this may be worth exploring further. Ashley Walker Leather married Esther Hannah Peel in 1892 and whilst I can find a birth record for their son Lawrence in 1901 (GRO indexes with mother's maiden name given as Peel), I haven't been able to do so for Elizabeth Leather around 1897/8. Ashley Walker Leather was one of the sons of Thomas Leather and Jane Scargill born in 1867 and died at Emley in 1917 - I saw his gravestone at Emley church a few years ago.

I can confirm that Muriel was the third child of Edgar and Elizabeth.

Offline Emley1786

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 29 May 18 16:42 BST (UK) »
According to the 1939 register, Elizabeth Ann was born 14 Aug 1897. I have found a Elizabeth Ann Hill baptised at Dodworth (near Silkstone) in Oct 1897 daughter of Hannah Hill - no father named. Looking at the 1918 marriage entry for Edgar and Elizabeth Ann again, the witnesses were Florence Scargill and Frank Stanley White. Frank White was the son of Robert White and Alice Peel who were married in 1893. Alice was the sister of Esther Hannah Peel (daughters of George Peel of Emley) who married Ashley Walker Leather and who in turn was a witness at Robert and Alice’s marriage. This lends weight to a possible link between Ashley Leather and Elizabeth Ann Hill and that she is the Elizabeth Leather named as the daughter of Ashley on the 1901 and 1911 Emley census. Is Esther Hannah Peel and Hannah Hill in the 1897 Dodworth baptism entry the same person - and the unnamed father called Hill??

Offline Holmemoss

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 30 May 18 18:06 BST (UK) »
Angela, Emley1786 and I would be more than willing to help but we cannot do so without any input from you.

Did you by any chance marry a Mr Peel in 1970?

Offline Angela Hutchinson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 03 June 18 16:41 BST (UK) »
If Elizabeth Ann Leather was Ashley's how did she become a Hill when she got married Edgar,l found her born in 1898 August14th