Author Topic: Richard Roberts b 1827 Chirk  (Read 18875 times)

Offline WelshYorkie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Roberts b 1827 Chirk
« Reply #36 on: Friday 26 February 10 14:08 GMT (UK) »
Hy Gadget Sorry don,t know Thomas Parish Stokes. :((but of course we will look into this. The address you gave Benson lane is just opposite side of 188 Catleford road.

I think we maybe onto something with Aunt Sue. Talking to a older lady in the village late last year she told me her relation lived next door to Granddad her family name Williams
I have not seen her around but will make an effort to go and see her.
Fingers crossed.
WY

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Friday 26 February 10 14:32 GMT (UK) »
Aunt Sue (Susannah Wiliams) did eventually move to Blackpool - it's in Lizzie Roberts (nee Stokes) funeral report   :D

I've had my head in the 1911 for all the descendants of Edward Stokes and Catherine Jones!  I had about 30 pages written out on them and had traced most to 1901 so you can imagine how many descendants there are to chase up. I'll let you have a copy when I've finished.

I've now found 2 x great granddad, John Stokes (your 1 x great), on the 1841 in Bilston, Staffs  with his sister Martha (1817, St Martins) who married a William Hanmer, Dec q, 1837.  Strange thing is that the Hanmers, plus two children (Edward and Mary Ann) disappear after 1841 - can't find deaths, census info or anything. I think I also tried emmigration as well.**

My router is playing up at the moment,  which isn't helping me do the searches but I'll get there  :)

Gadget

** Have since found them in Pennsylvania - see:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,454268.0.html

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,454300.0.html
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Saturday 06 March 10 22:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi WY

I'm now pretty certain, from the marriage cert, that Richard Roberts's parents are Richard Roberts (b. Oswestry) and Mary Cash.

As she was a widow when she married Richard, I'm still not sure whether Mary's maiden name was Cash or if that was her married name  :-\   The only Mary that I can find was baptised in 1793 to Edward Cash and Ann of Brynkinallt.  They were the parents of Jane Cash who was a witness at the marriage of Mary and Richard.

I'll have to do some more investigating.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline WelshYorkie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Saturday 06 March 10 23:21 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Gadget will send copy of cert email

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Sunday 07 March 10 08:43 GMT (UK) »
The cert would be useful as I'm going around in circles - I can't find a suitable marriage for a Mary to a Cash or of a Mary Cash to anyone in either Chirk or St Martins around the time that would make her a widow when she and Richard Roberts married  :-\  I could try a few other of the surrounding parishes as there were quite a lot of movements in to Chirk at that time because of coal mining. Cash was one of the prominent surnames in Chirk/St Martins though and I've still not fully worked them all out in my line!

Given that Jane Cash was a witness at the wedding, we could go down the 'Cash as maiden name route' for the moment to see what comes up!. The best fit that I can find  in Chirk is:

Baptism ~ 10 June 1792 (b. 19 May) Mary d/o Edward Cash and Ann of Brynkinallt

Marriage ~ 24 May 1790 Edward Cash and Ann Francis (ba and sp) Witnesses Thomas Rogers and William Parish (another one of ours  ::) ) All made their marks rather than signing.

Gadget

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Sunday 07 March 10 08:57 GMT (UK) »
Bringing these children of  Richard's  and Mary's  forward:

I have these baptisms to Richard Roberts and Mary, listed as living either Halton or Green Lane:

Maria Roberts bpt 20 August 1820
Harriett Roberts bpt 25 April 1824
Richard Roberts bpt 20 Aug 1826
Thomas Roberts bpt 3 Oct 1830

Also Richard's, age and place of birth in 1851:

Woodside Cottages (* only a few households away from Richard, jnr, and Martha)
HO107/1993/ 806/13

Roberts
Richard,widr,  68, coal miner, b. Salop, Oswestry
Harriett, d, 27
Thomas, s, 20
Robert, s, 5

All b. Chirk except Richard

Richard therefore born circa 1783-ish

The only baptism  for a Richard Roberts showing in Oswestry around that time is the one that I mentioned before (IGI)

Oswestry 21 March 1785 (bpt. 23) Richard s/o John Roberts and Jane

I can't find a marriage for these two so far and Roberts is not the easiest is it  :-X :-X :-X

An interesting piece of info from the 1851 is that a Thomas and Charlotte Richards are living next door to Richard Roberts* on the 1851. Thomas was b. Ellesmere.

Gadget

*Too many Richards. I meant Richard Roberts, senior. Richard and Martha are on the next page  :)

Offline leswal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Friday 10 February 12 17:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi both!! I am the great granddaughter of Richard Roberts and Mary Ellen Stokes. My grandad was their youngest son Reginald. I have been struggling trying to plough through the Richard Roberts and was getting very confused with Martha Evans and Mary Cash.
Just wondering how you are both related to Richard Roberts, would love to compare note, photos etc.
Hope to hear from you
Leslie Walker (nee Roberts)

Offline WelshYorkie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Saturday 11 February 12 10:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi leswal
Please to make contact.  :)
I am the Grandson of Richard and Mary Ellen and worked with our Grandad Reg. (as he was known), by the way he was not the youngest son. My father Maurice was 1911-2000. Would love to give you more information. If you want send me a P.M. with you email I would love to have a chat.

Offline leswal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Saturday 11 February 12 10:50 GMT (UK) »
sorry am new to this, how do I give you my hotmail, would love to chat??? I must have met you I am Lloyds daughter and we used to come up to Uncle Mo and Auntie Madges for parties!!!! Small World