Author Topic: Runciman family- Inchture, Abernyte  (Read 4859 times)

Offline caledonhills

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Runciman family- Inchture, Abernyte
« on: Tuesday 23 February 10 01:08 GMT (UK) »

Looking for any connection to a John Runciman chr. Mar.19,1758 in Abernyte. Can find no records of Runciman family in Abernyte.

Sandra

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Runciman family- Inchture, Abernyte
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 23 February 10 09:46 GMT (UK) »
Hiya Sandra....there is an EXTRACTED record on www.familysearch.org.uk for
John Runciman christened 19th March 1758 in Abernyte, Perth Scotland
so if it is extracted it IS an official record....so he definitely was christened in Abernyte,Perth

so I went to Genes Reunited to look at the familytree of any Runciman born Abernyte,Perth Scotland

Mary Runciman b 1751 Abernyte .........familytree holder    Norval
John Runciman b 1758 Abernyte..........familytree holder    John
Richard Runciman b 1897 Abernyte.....familytree holder    Christina

so....there are 3 different family trees with Runciman born Abernyte......interesting thing is that after 141 years (1758 to 1897)  the Runciman family are STILL in Abernyte

www.192.com results for Runciman ,Abernyte.................ONE lady named Runciman still lives there

166 birth results
113 marriage results
75 death results
allan ;)
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 23 February 10 10:01 GMT (UK) »
Hiya again
went back to familysearch

Mary Runciman christened 31st march 1751 an EXTRACTED record....fathers name JOHN RUNCIMAN  in Abernyte PERTH, Scotland

23rd March 1746 John Runciman married Elspeth Petrie in Inchture, PERTH, Scotland...the ONLY John Runciman marriage in Perth on record on familysearch within 10 years of Mary Runcimans christening
so I think you need to see if you can find any more Runciman christenings from 1846 to 1851 in either Inchture or Abernyte....IF the parents are John /Elspeth you can then try and make the connection to John b 1858 and Mary b 1851
allan :)
NO CHRISTENINGS IN INCHTURE FOR JOHN RUNCIMAN 1745 TO 1765.....BUT
JOHN RUNCIMAN MARRIED SUSAN DONALDSON 2ND FEBRUARY 1786 IN INCHTURE,PERTH
I would think this MAY be your John Runciman b 1758(but this would make him 28 when he got married)
anyway.....there`s quite a bit of family info for you to research....should keep you busy, but at least you know there is quite a bit more Runciman family in Abernyte than you thought....GOOD LUCK........let us know how you get on....allan
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline caledonhills

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 23 February 10 12:02 GMT (UK) »

Hello Allan,

Thanks so much for your help. I know that John Runciman and Susan Donaldson are definately our family (I have proof). Since they had children who were named (among others) John, Mary, Elizabeth, George I feel that the John born in 1758 IS ours too. On familysearch.org I found that his father is John which fits the naming pattern for John/Susan. It also shows that the John (1758) had siblings George and Mary also.  The marriage would fit for John/Elspet too as their 1st son was born
3 months later. (did anyone ever get married on purpose? hahaha)

If George is the father, the only George I find in the area is chr in Saint Martins Jul.31,1720. I wonder if this is too far away from Abernyte?

I live in Canada and had not heard of Genes Reunited or 192.com so that's news to me..lovely!

Thanks again,
Sandra

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 23 February 10 13:48 GMT (UK) »
No Sandra, it`s not too far at all.......St Martins is in Perth as well.....Perth was only literally a ditch in 1296 when there was a battle there..  see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perth,_Scotland   wasn`t until 1760 that Perth started to grow as a town...so from what I`ve found on research St Martins was a little chapel for the Free Church of Scotland...not there now....so I would certainly think there could well be a connection....from one side of Perth to the other side of Perth in 1750 was probably about 7 miles.......allan ;)

Offline caledonhills

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 23 February 10 14:06 GMT (UK) »

Excellent. Seeing that the population of the world was so much smaller, I'm quite sure that this George is ours. Now to prove it!

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 24 February 10 07:29 GMT (UK) »
sorry to sound negative Sandra but don`t get carried away just yet ,..you will see that although you have George b 1746 with father John and probably mother Susan Donaldson you also have
Elspeth christened 10 mar 1760 father JAMES RUNCIMAN mother ELIZABETH FIFE
Jean christened 11th March 1750 James and Elizabeth
Peter christened 18th june 1766 father PETER RUNCIMAN mother JANET BETT
Ann christened 26th feb 1769 also Peter and Janet
Margaret b abt 1763 Perth father WILLIAM RUNCIMAN

so it looks like at least FOUR Runciman families around Abernyte /Inchture / St Martins at that time....it looks like quite a bit of research needed and possibly you need to ask an administrator to maybe move this thread to the Scotland Research to see if someone with experience about PERTH can give you some assistance.........good luck....allan :)

Offline ostler

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 13 January 15 12:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sandra

I believe I am also descended from John Runciman and Susan Donaldson. Their daughter Elizabeth married Alexander Kinnes 22 January 1811 in Inchture, Perthshire. They had a son James Kinnes in 1811 who married Isabella Wilson 29 December 1837 in Dundee. They had a son William Kinnes in 1843 whose third wife was Christina Malcolm Ostler married 7 November 1873. They had a daughter, Helen Mary Kinnes, who was my paternal great grandmother. I'd love to compare notes with you and find out which line you are descended from. Please get in touch!
All countries/counties
Kinnes, Ostler (and all variations!!)

Scotland
Caithness: Sutherland and Gunn (Latheron), Mowat (Olrig, Canisbay)
Fife: Fleming, Harley, Small, Laing, Malcolm
Angus/Forfarshire: Small, Laing (Dundee)
Perthshire: Runciman, Whittet, Paul, Small
Midlothian: Dudgeon, Sanderson (Tranent)

England
Gloucestershire: Edkins, Trowton/Troughton
Warwickshire: Bromley, Vickers, Hydon

Offline caledonhills

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 13 January 15 19:33 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

My regular email is (*)
We can further discuss it there if you wish.
One of our family also married a Kinnes too!

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.