Author Topic: Shankill Graveyard - records "all burned"???  (Read 31482 times)

Online Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Shankill Graveyard - records "all burned"???
« Reply #45 on: Sunday 27 October 19 08:59 GMT (UK) »
I am struggling with some of this. We are apparently looking for William & Mary Montgomery who may have died in Belfast between 1874 and 1915 and are believed to be buried in Shankill graveyard. The information about their identify has come from their daughter’s 1874 marriage.

“All I know is that they lived in Belfast around 1874.”  How do you know that? Their daughter was evidently in Belfast then but how do you know her parents were a) alive and b) in Belfast? The daughter was evidently born before the start of statutory registration. Perhaps her parents had both died pre 1864 too?

In the 1800s hundred of thousands of young women came to Belfast from rural parts of Ulster to work in the mills. Their parents often remained behind.  How do you know this woman’s were in Belfast? Do you have additional information you haven’t shared with us or is this just guesswork?
Elwyn

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Sunday 27 October 19 09:24 GMT (UK) »
I'm struggling also   :-\ You've gone from looking for William Montgomery & wife Mary McKeown parents of an unknown daughter who married in Belfast in 1874 to "Equally, I have a strong suscipion that the information provided by the bride at her baptism & marriage could be false and not just that her father may not be William, but also that her mother may not be Mary."

When we ask questions there are good reasons for this. If we had the daughter's details to establish her age then we might have a better idea of when her parents might have been born. If daughter was married in Belfast there's a chance that siblings might also have done so even if family might, or might not, have always lived in Belfast.

However, as Elwyn says, parents could have died before civil registration of deaths, may have lived outside Belfast, etc.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Sunday 27 October 19 09:27 GMT (UK) »
 :)

I had considered that the marriage was 1915,, and that it was the baptism document  of the bride on converting to Roman Catholicism led our OP to deducing the bride was born Belfast in 1874....  I could well have mis-read...  :)

Perhaps VB has other earlier threads, afterall she mentions searching for 15 years...

JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Sunday 27 October 19 09:30 GMT (UK) »
:)
I had considered that the marriage was 1915,, and that it was the baptism document  of the bride on converting to Roman Catholicism led our OP to deducing the bride was born Belfast in 1874....  I could well have mis-read...  :)
Perhaps VB has other earlier threads, afterall she mentions searching for 15 years...
JM

The mystery daughter's marriage was in 1874. The 1874-1915 range is for death of parents as OP seems to be assuming both alive in 1874. OP seems also to assume parents possibly born c1824-c1835 but since we don't have enough detail it's not clear why.

Offline Vita Brevis

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Sunday 03 November 19 00:39 GMT (UK) »
Elwyn

I am struggling with some of this. We are apparently looking for William & Mary Montgomery who may have died in Belfast between 1874 and 1915 and are believed to be buried in Shankill graveyard. The information about their identify has come from their daughter’s 1874 marriage.

Perhaps her parents had both died pre 1864 too
?

I didn’t say they were “believed” to be buried in Shankill graveyard.  I said “Unfortunately I have no dates but they may have been sometime between 1874 - 1915 possible age range 50-80yrs”

The family believe they were still alive post the daughter’s marriage in 1874

Aghadowey

You've gone from looking for William Montgomery & wife Mary McKeown parents of an unknown daughter who married in Belfast in 1874

The daughter isn’t unknown.  I simply tried to answer your questions.  I haven’t “gone” from looking for William & wife Mary Montgomery (McKeown).  I  asked for a look up for their burials in the graveyard. 

Is anyone able to tell me if there are a couple by these names buried there together or connected  to Belfast during that time frame?

Appreciate everyone’s imput incuding majm, thank you.  VB 

Online Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Sunday 03 November 19 01:49 GMT (UK) »
The vagueness makes it hard to help resolve your query.  But the underlying fact is that there are no comprehensive burial records for Shankill cemetery so unless the couple had a gravestone which has been transcribed, it’s very hard to establish if they are buried there. It’s also worth pointing out that William & Mary Montgomery are very common names. There could well have been more than one couple with those names around Belfast at that time. There are 70 William Montgomery deaths in Belfast in the years 1874 - 1915. 55 Marys for the same period.

If you get a date of death you could then search the Belfast Newsletter for a funeral notice, which would often say where someone was to be buried. (Tradition was to bury within 3 days of death so it’s normally a question of checking the editions for 2 days after the death). If you have a subscription, they are on Ancestry.
Elwyn

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Sunday 03 November 19 11:30 GMT (UK) »
I never said you didn't know the daughter's name but merely that her name was a mystery to the rest of us trying to help. Of course you know her name but seem unwilling to share it here.

Unfortunately your quote of my earlier post left out the rest of the sentence. Whatever the dates of death you still don't know if the parents were buried anywhere in Belfast. Unfortunately without further details I don't think there's any way to help you although several of us have tried.

Offline Northdowngal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Saturday 30 May 20 15:56 BST (UK) »
I have just discovered a website for the old Shankill Burying Ground, Belfast, if that is what you are looking for it is -  www.cambraistreet.co.uk and they are listed in alphabetical order.

I hope this is of use

Offline Valsgirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Friday 07 August 20 19:48 BST (UK) »
Thanks for sharing this, Northdowngal.
A very helpful site.
Valsgirl