Author Topic: patrick ogg baptism 1790 , longhorsley ?  (Read 3405 times)

Offline compo

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
patrick ogg baptism 1790 , longhorsley ?
« on: Tuesday 23 February 10 22:33 GMT (UK) »
this is one of my great great great great grandfathers and i would love to have a record of his baptism

thankyou

compo
looking for haram,judson,rispin,horsfield,carling,moore,dodson,anderson,appleby,morton,IN EAST RIDING OF YORKSHIRE ,haram,cessford,tapson,macluachlan,rispin,judson,prime,ogilvie,green,turnbull,walker,slowther,sim,hoy,brian,IN TYNE AND WEAR AND ASHINGTON AND MORPETH

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: patrick ogg baptism 1790 , longhorsley ?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 23 February 10 23:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi

He was aged 50 and living in Longhorsley in 1841 and died 1849.  Wife Ursula is shown as aged 55 in 1841 but is 75 in 1851.  She died 1856

Ages were rounded down to the nearest 5yrs in 1841 so Patrick could have been between 50-54yrs old and Ursula between 55-59yrs old

At the higher end - age 54 - his birthyear would be 1787 so you may want to consider this entry

Patrick Ogg Christening Date 6 Aug 1786 Eglingham Northumberland
Father  William Ogg Mother Ann
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 24 February 10 06:43 GMT (UK) »
Marriages;

William OGG
Ann LEE
28 November 1784, Eglingham, Northumberland, England

Patrick OGG
Ursula MOOR, 28 January 1807, Long Horsley, Northumberland, England

To match with info Carole found;
Ursula MOOR, christened 26 February 1777, Long Horsley, Northumberland
Father, JOHN Moor

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline compo

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 24 February 10 14:28 GMT (UK) »
oh wow thankyou both for that , thats great

compo :)
looking for haram,judson,rispin,horsfield,carling,moore,dodson,anderson,appleby,morton,IN EAST RIDING OF YORKSHIRE ,haram,cessford,tapson,macluachlan,rispin,judson,prime,ogilvie,green,turnbull,walker,slowther,sim,hoy,brian,IN TYNE AND WEAR AND ASHINGTON AND MORPETH

Offline mbutcher1701

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 29 January 11 13:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi.

Patrick Ogg is also my 4x great grandfather.
I'm related through his son John's son James.  Where do you fit in?

I've been research the Ogg's for some time and gone just 1 generation further back than Patrick to his William and Ann.
Finding where William was born is trickiest part.  I know he was born about 1744 but where in Northumberland is a mystery at the moment.

If you'd like any info on any of Patrick's ancestors that you're struggling with I'm happy to help.

Thanks
Mark

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 29 January 11 14:49 GMT (UK) »
Welcome Mark :)
Is this your John?
John OG,
Baptised 22 March 1793, Holy Trinity, Embleton, Northumberland
Parents WILLIAM/ANN, Abode Stamford
(Source FreeREG)

Possible ANN Ogg, 28 may 1797, Rennington to William/Ann also.

I am sure compo will be pleased you have come onboard.
There is a possibility the name could be Hogg also so dont rule that out when looking for earlier Oggs.
Good luck to you both.

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 29 January 11 14:56 GMT (UK) »
There is an Ann OGG born c 1761 in the 1841 Census.
I would also not rule out that the Oggs originated from Scotland.
Just curious how you know William was born c 1744?
Was Ann a second Wife?
If not he would be 40 when he Married Ann in 1784.

Offline mbutcher1701

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 30 January 11 11:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Trish.
Thanks for the welcome.
I'll reply to your messages 1 at a time.
1st:
John OGG baptism - I believe this is correct or as correct as it can be.  It ties in with what I have found.  Died at age 4. Poor boy.
Ann OGG baptism - I think this is correct too.  The names of parents tie up for both.
I wondered about the Hogg name.  It does appear a lot in records but I've slightly disregarded it in later records as it felt the Ogg name was probably recorded more accurately later.  I'll bear it in mind when I search further back in time.

2nd:
Ann OGG in c1761 on 1841 census.  I did wonder about her for a long time but I had a brainwave.
Perhaps the family on the first side of the census page, just before Ann, were related to her.
Thomas Greason married a Jane Ogg in 1827 in Longhorsley.
(Source findmypast parish records)
I summised, rightly or wrongly, that Jane was William and Ann's youngest daughter.
Born about 1805.  I've not found a baptism record for her yet to confirm my theory but that's not to say there isn't one.

I had thought there were links to Scotland and as I've not found any up to this time period I guessed that I would eventually have to start looking in Scottish records.  Although OGG is more common in Scotland than England so I didn't relish the thought.

As for William born c1744.  I have his Death Certificate.  He died on 20 Oct 1837 - not long after the official recording of BMDs was started (lucky for me).  The cert says he was 93 when he died of Old Age and also his son Patrick OGG was present.
Conclusive to me.  So working back from the date of death and age at the time. I came up with c1744.  Give or take a few years I'd say.
It's where he was born is the problem.  It could've been Scotland as the children he had with Ann were dotted around Northumberland.
As for his age when marrying Ann.  I suppose he could've married before but I've not found anything to suggest it yet.

I hope this helps compo and answers your questions too.  Any further suggestions to help discover more or correct any mistakes i've made would be good too.

Thanks

Mark

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 30 January 11 11:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mark,
Thanks for all the info as it all helps when trying to help you if possible!

I searched William OGG born c 1744+/-2yrs and put in no POB or Country of Birth on Familysearch Pilot and there are several possibilities under Oag/Hogg etc;

You are right about JANE Ogg though :)
Jane OGG,
Birth 27 Nov 1803
Christened 18 Dec 1803, Long Horsley, Northumberland
Parents;
William OGG
Ann LEE
(IGI Extracted Record)