Author Topic: Bowles and Coward  (Read 4820 times)

Offline mygirlbill

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bowles and Coward
« on: Wednesday 24 February 10 07:17 GMT (UK) »
I am researching the Bowles and Coward families in Dorset. According to my calculations, Robert Coward chris. 21 January 1749 in Gillingham, Dorset married 9 May 1772 in Gillingham, Dorset to Elizabeth Bowles chris. 9 October 1748 in Gillingham Dorset. Does anyone have any information on their parents and or siblings? I do know that Robert's and Elizabeth's daughter Charlotte married James Day and I do have quite a lot of information on the Day family tree but so far very little on the Cowards and Bowles. Anything at all would be very much appreciated.  Cheers mygirlbill

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
Re: Bowles and Coward
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 24 February 10 10:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Have you looked at the records available on the Dorset OPC site?

http://www.opcdorset.org

Elizabeth's baptism is there; parents shown as Robert and Mary Bowles of Langbourn.

Nanny Jan
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mygirlbill

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 25 February 10 00:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nanny Jan. I'd forgotten that I already had the names of their parents. However, where is Langbourn? I can't find it on the Dorset OPC site so I take it that it is not in Dorset. Browsed the net and can only come up with one in London. How far is that from Gillingham?  Many thanks and cheers. mygirlbill

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 25 February 10 11:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Sorry but I can't help with Langbourn; perhaps it was difficult to read for the transcriber (I've transcribed some Dorset registers) or perhaps the area has now been swallowed up by developments.

Perhaps the staff at the Dorset History Centre could pinpoint Langbourn for you?

Have you looked on the Dorset OPC site for records of other baptisms or marriages?

Nanny Jan
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mygirlbill

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 25 February 10 21:10 GMT (UK) »
Yes I've gotten all the names that were on that site. However, was kind of hoping that someone who is also researching these families would read my message and be able to give me some more information about them besides by names of birth, death and marriages. Meanwhile though, I will continue to try and find out where the heck Langbourn is/was. Cheers. mygirlbill

Offline vbond

• RootsChat Extra
  • Agnes and Frederick Stoodly C1910
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 25 February 10 22:50 GMT (UK) »
There's a Lambourn in Berkshire.

vbond

Offline mygirlbill

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 26 February 10 00:40 GMT (UK) »
It is possible that Langbourn and Lambourn are one and the same. Worth checking out for sure. Thankyou very much. Cheers. mygirlbill

Offline Kells

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 09 November 10 03:00 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if I might come into this topic? I am searching the family of Stephen Day and Ann Coward who married in Semley Wiltshire in 1802. They had a son James Day who according to my info married Charlotte Coward in 1828. Stephen's parents were from Gillingham Dorset. Is this the same family you are looking for as the dates don't seem to match up with what you have mentioned?

I also have info from the Dorset OPC for Gillingham that says Robert Coward married Elizabeth Bowles 9 May 1772 and she was a widow. Perhaps she was the widow of Robert Bowles who was buried 7 May 1769. I've got Robert Coward's parents as Edward and Ann but without a first marriage for Elizabeth I cannot search her maiden surname. 

Hope you've had some luck with your search. If you think we have any family in common I'd be happy to have contact with you.

Adams; Baylis; Bartlett; Bowyer; Brant; Bull; Carrick; Childs; Darby; Diamond; Dowling; Driver; Elford; Elliott; Fallows; Farmer; Gibbons; Ginger; Gregory; Hennessey; Kirtland; Lakin; Langley; MacCarthy; Manwaring; Miller; Morgan; Morris; Payne; Reardon; Robinson; Rose; Ruddell-Todd; Smith; Sullivan; Stephenson; Stevens; Todd; Trend; Webber; Wetton; Wood; Woodings; Wrathall.