Author Topic: John Robert Geopel help please 1861 search  (Read 2614 times)

Offline armando

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Robert Geopel help please 1861 search
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 02 March 10 11:38 GMT (UK) »
This is concerning a previous post about The Onslow Court Hotel.
First of all let me tell you that I'm a Spaniard, who in 1964 went to London to study english, ad got a job at The Onslow Court Hotel on Queen's Gate in South Kensington.

I was employed as a waiter, and had to work breaksfast, lunch and dinner, with one day a week off. Once a week I had the four o'clock shift to serve tea.

The hotel was full of residents, mostly retired people, who would come for meals and then go out or back to their rooms. Sometimes they had relatives coming over to visit  them, but not very often.

The manageress was Miss Coats, and the head waiter was a polish man ( sorry, but I can't remember his name) Also there was an Irish second head waiter. A very nice and gentle old man.

The rest of the staff were of all sort of nationalities. Austrian, Italian, Spanish,Irish, Scottish,polish, etc .

I worked there from April to October 1964. It was a students work permit. I also worked for a few months in 1965, when I decided to go back to London.

For the first six months, I lived in the Hotel, in the small rooms at the basement, the second time I shared a flat with other friends.

All I can say is that it was my first experience on my own. I had left the confort of my parents house, to experience living in such a big city. I loved it and that¡s why I spent 5 years, something I will never forget.

If you need more information, just ask. My Mail is : (*)

All the best.

armando.

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline scouse_mouse_2000uk

• RootsChat Senior
  • G Grandparent's Lewis
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 02 March 10 12:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Armando, thank you very much for the information. It has given me a better understanding on why my family lived at the hotel. Which sounds more like a retirement home.  Again, thank you. Regards, Lynn x
I am researching the following names.....Owen/s-Holyhead, Rimmer/Lewis-West Derby, Wood/s/Hayter-Toxteth

Offline dave2012

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 27 November 17 14:43 GMT (UK) »
This is concerning a previous post about The Onslow Court Hotel.
First of all let me tell you that I'm a Spaniard, who in 1964 went to London to study english, ad got a job at The Onslow Court Hotel on Queen's Gate in South Kensington.

I was employed as a waiter, and had to work breaksfast, lunch and dinner, with one day a week off. Once a week I had the four o'clock shift to serve tea.

The hotel was full of residents, mostly retired people, who would come for meals and then go out or back to their rooms. Sometimes they had relatives coming over to visit  them, but not very often.

The manageress was Miss Coats, and the head waiter was a polish man ( sorry, but I can't remember his name) Also there was an Irish second head waiter. A very nice and gentle old man.

The rest of the staff were of all sort of nationalities. Austrian, Italian, Spanish,Irish, Scottish,polish, etc .

I worked there from April to October 1964. It was a students work permit. I also worked for a few months in 1965, when I decided to go back to London.

For the first six months, I lived in the Hotel, in the small rooms at the basement, the second time I shared a flat with other friends.

All I can say is that it was my first experience on my own. I had left the confort of my parents house, to experience living in such a big city. I loved it and that¡s why I spent 5 years, something I will never forget.

If you need more information, just ask. My Mail is : (*)

All the best.

armando.

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Hi, I lived and worked in Onslow Court Hotel from 1979 to 1982 and was a very interesting experience, with Celebrities like Jack Klugman staying there, and i remember Stan Laurels Daughter having her Wedding reception there, and will never forget the Pan Washer called Charlie who worked there until his retirement in 1981

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 27 November 17 19:56 GMT (UK) »
Ken, could you possibly see if he is still a dentist in the directory please? Thanx again, Lynn

Gore's Liverpool Directory 1862

Spelt: Goepel

Dentist at 55 Bold Street

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QS7-L968-NXZ7?cat=241645

Home address: 7 Belmont View

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QS7-L968-NF9Y?cat=241645

1861 Census - Is this his son at Belmont View?

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QS7-L92X-4KYH?cat=513754

Blue