Author Topic: 1911 census - missing pages?  (Read 12636 times)

Offline aggiebagwash

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 1911 census
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 25 February 10 12:03 GMT (UK) »
I've tried the advanced search but because he was a transient labourer at times or journeyman baker I have no address to compare it with and that's my problem. Every census and certificate gives a different address around the country and sometimes he used his first name and others his middle  name. Then his age changes slightly as well. I think he just doesn't want to be found LOL

Margaret

Offline aggiebagwash

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 1911 census - missing pages?
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 25 February 10 12:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi teaurn

It's Frederick Munt sometimes Frederick Charles born circa 1883 in St Alban's. He lived in different parts of Lancashire, Lincolnshire, Nottinghamshire and London he never seemed to stay in once place for long and left his wife and children around the 1930/40's.

He seems to have been a journeyman baker and confectioner most of his life although there were periods when he was described as a labourer.

I've tried a few name/age variations on the official 1911 census site when it first came out that I thought could be right but ran out of credits because I don't subscribe to FindMyPast I prefer other sites.

Margaret

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 25 February 10 12:43 GMT (UK) »
The transient one is more of a problem, but if the other family lived in the same house for 40 years, you should be able to find them by putting an address in the appropriate search.

Lizzie

Offline aggiebagwash

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 25 February 10 12:55 GMT (UK) »
Just this minute found it. The name was transcribed completely wrong only the first two letters were correct yet it's completely clear what the name is on the page.

Now back to looking for my transient missing person somehow.

Margaret

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 25 February 10 13:06 GMT (UK) »

He seems to have been a journeyman baker and confectioner most of his life although there were periods when he was described as a labourer.

Mmmmm....... that would start alarm bells ringing with me.   Contrary to common belief, a "journeyman" didn't travel - a journeyman was a time-served apprentice, had attained his indentures, and the journeyman title meant that he could take on and train his own apprentices.  If he was travelling around a lot, it either means that he wasn't making a lot of money as a baker and confectioner, and had to work away to make some money, or possibly that you have two different people confused with one another ?  :) 

RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline teaurn

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • A lovely cup of tea
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 25 February 10 13:44 GMT (UK) »
On the 1911 census there are two frederick Munts' in St Albans area

When did he marry?
Middlesex   Burnett  Clark   Potter    Cleary    Avery    Moore Howard Jode Keating
Norfolk    Rudd    Twite    Hudson    Chapman Moore Spink Adams
Suffolk    Horne    Cadge    Sutton    King    Adams
Essex    Cable    Wright                         Cumberland  Forbes
Somerset Clarke (pre 1800)                  Cambridgeshire Muncey Parcell
Devon  Flashman                                   Limerick    Hannigan
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline aggiebagwash

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 25 February 10 13:57 GMT (UK) »
My mistake calling him a journeyman. I'd just been looking at the 1901 where he is described as a Journeyman baker and it's crossed out and breadmaker written over the top. He is only 18 so I had taken it to be an apprenticeship as you say. I didn't mean to imply I thought he was a travelling baker within the trade.

He appears to have been a man who couldn't stay in one place for longer than two or three years according to the bits of information I've found. After the 1901 census I lose track of him until 1913 when he married. All his children were born in different places and then he disappears again just before the 2nd World War. He eventually died in London still described as a retired baker and confectioner.

Margaret  :)

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 25 February 10 14:33 GMT (UK) »
That's OK - I've spent so long chasing red herrings in my family, I'd hate to see others doing it  :)
RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline teaurn

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • A lovely cup of tea
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 25 February 10 16:09 GMT (UK) »
I had the same problem.  I have on the 1901 a grandson Percy.  Did all this research found where he was born sent for the birth cert and as the father wasn't someone I had in my tree followed it totally in the wrong direction.  Then when the 1911 census was available realised that there were two Percys in the same town

That was a major learning curve and I double and triple check everything now :D
Middlesex   Burnett  Clark   Potter    Cleary    Avery    Moore Howard Jode Keating
Norfolk    Rudd    Twite    Hudson    Chapman Moore Spink Adams
Suffolk    Horne    Cadge    Sutton    King    Adams
Essex    Cable    Wright                         Cumberland  Forbes
Somerset Clarke (pre 1800)                  Cambridgeshire Muncey Parcell
Devon  Flashman                                   Limerick    Hannigan
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk