Author Topic: WALSH & BRENNAN Family at Tubbercurry  (Read 32349 times)

Offline PatriciaN

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
WALSH & BRENNAN Family at Tubbercurry
« on: Thursday 25 February 10 20:42 GMT (UK) »
I am researching the two sons of MARGARET WALSH, i.e. MARTIN & THOMAS BRENNAN from Tubbercurry.
MARTIN who died 16 Oct 1984 lived at St Annes, Ballynote Rd,his widow was XXX
THOMAS died on 1 January 1997,his widow was XXX , they lived at Moylough.Their children are
XXX

Martin & Thomas's mother Margaret nee Walsh, (I do not have their fathers name) would have been my great aunt. Her brother MICHAEL WILLIAM WALSH born 5th Dec 1876, in Ballincurry, was my GRANDFATHER. There was a further brother John J Walsh.He died in 1958 and had a son XXX , who at the age of 76 was still farming at the place where his father, and my grandfather and great aunt were all born.Their parents names were Michael Walsh and Mary Walsh (this was also her maiden name according to Grandad's Birth Cert.)
My grandfather married FLORENCE DAINES from Bocking Essex, lived at Aldershot whilst he was in the Grenadier Guards and moved to Sheffield, Yorkshire where he died in Dec 1942. They had six children , XXX and Norah,who was my mum.
Any help would be just grand from  Patricia N Grocock

Moderator comment: these are recent events so names of people who are or might still be living have been removed.  Please use the Personal Message system to exchange such details if necessary.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: WALSH & BRENNAN FAMILY AT TUBBERCURRY
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 25 February 10 20:44 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootshat, Patricia, but please remember not to post details of living, or possibly living, people here. If anyone can help with recent family details you (and they) will need to do so via PM (personal message)- you do need 2/3 posts before being able to to so. 
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Clare Bailey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: WALSH & BRENNAN FAMILY AT TUBBERCURRY
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 11 April 10 21:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Patricia,

I have family trees for both Walshes and Brennans, my family is from Annagh/Tourlestrane in Tubbercurry and my Great Grandma was Celia Walsh, her parents were Matthew Walsh and Bridget Brennan, I have lots of family trees but can't seem to see your names and dates - perhaps they were cousins of Celia's, she had no sister called Margaret and her youngest brother died in 1980, do you have any more info?

I also have some fairly limited info in regards to Stensons in that my great, great, great grandmother was anne stenson, born 1815, she married James Walsh and they had 5 children including Matthew Walsh (mentioned above).

I am wondering if your great grandfather Michael Walsh would have been the brother of my great grandma celia - he was born in 1886 and died in 1956.

Clare

Offline tanya70

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: WALSH & BRENNAN Family at Tubbercurry
« Reply #3 on: Monday 26 July 10 08:47 BST (UK) »
Hi all

I am trying to trace my genealogy for the Walsh's.

My great-grandmother was Ellen Walsh (from Tubbercurry) who emigrated to Australia in the early 1900's.  Her parents were Thomas and Bridget (nee Price) Walsh.  Ellen's siblings were Patrick,
william, Mary, Thomas, and Beninda (?) or Belenaa (?) according to the 1901 Census.

I know that Patrick married Maggie.  They were farmers in Tubbercurry.  Can anyone help with further info?

Many thanks :)

Offline tanya70

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: WALSH Family at Tubbercurry
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 27 July 10 08:58 BST (UK) »
It would be great if I could contact Clare Bailey, as it looks like we may 'belong' to the same 'Walsh' family tree.  My 'Walshs''  came from Canowngapple, Tubbercurry, Sligo.

Offline Clare Bailey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 27 July 10 22:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Tanya,

Thanks for your message, I know my great grandad (thomas mcveigh) was from annagh/aclare/tourlestrane in Tubbercurry, and Celia Walsh, my great grandmother was from Rhue - I am going there in two weeks so will ask my uncle then, as I have never heard of Canowngapple.

Unfortunately I can't seem to see any overlaps with your ancestors and my family tree as of yet, but also my great uncle's wife's mother was a walsh - separate to ours of course - so when I am over visiting, I will see if she has any information for you.

Have you been to Sligo? It's a lovely place.

Out of interest do you know the surname of your great grandfather or did she emigrate before marrying? I have quite a few family trees for the area so might still be able to help :)

Offline Clare Bailey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 27 July 10 22:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Tanya

Thanks for your message, I have had a look through my family trees and can't seem to see where our trees would overlap but my great uncles wife's mother was a Walsh (different family) so I will also ask her if she has any info when I am over in a couple of weeks, have you been? it's a lovely place

out of interest, did your great grandmother marry before emigrating - if so, what was your great grandfathers surname? I have quite a few trees for the area so may have some info on other surnames for you, apologies I can't send you a message but the site wouldn't let  me for some reason.

Clare :)

Offline JohnMB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 14 October 10 13:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Tanya,

Thanks for your message, I know my great grandad (thomas mcveigh) was from annagh/aclare/tourlestrane in Tubbercurry, and Celia Walsh, my great grandmother was from Rhue - I am going there in two weeks so will ask my uncle then, as I have never heard of Canowngapple.

Unfortunately I can't seem to see any overlaps with your ancestors and my family tree as of yet, but also my great uncle's wife's mother was a walsh - separate to ours of course - so when I am over visiting, I will see if she has any information for you.

Have you been to Sligo? It's a lovely place.

Out of interest do you know the surname of your great grandfather or did she emigrate before marrying? I have quite a few family trees for the area so might still be able to help :)

Clare, did your ggm, Celia Walsh have a grand father called Luke Walsh and an uncle called Patrick Walsh? My grand aunt, Margaret Brennan (1890-1976) from Rhue, Tubbercurry married a Patrick Walsh, son of Luke Walsh from Rhue in Tourlestrane RC Church in March 1917 with whom she had 4 children. Patrick died in September 1923 apparently from drowning. His widow immigrated to the US in 1926. In her application for US naturalisation she said that her husband died in 1923. His death must not have been registered as I have not been able to find it in the Irish GRO.  Another researcher suggested to me last year that Celia's father, Matthew might have been Patrick's brother but wasn't able to provide any evidence for this supposition. Do you know anything about a Patrick Walsh among your Walsh ancestors?

Offline wetstone

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 04 November 10 14:08 GMT (UK) »
I recently visited Tubbercurry while researching Lundy and Kilroy roots.  To my surprise I learned, from the landlady of a local pub that the Walshs also feature quite strongly in Sligo and was advised to take a look at Rhue cemetery.  I did and photographed a number of headstones - mainly Walsh but also some Lundy and Kilroy.

The photos can be found here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/facesfromthepast/WalshLundyKilroyHeadstones?authkey=Gv1sRgCOyf5rmin-G97wE&feat=directlink

Kerry
Walsh, Kilroy, Lundy, Shea, Pritchard, Tuffley, Suckley, Howse