Author Topic: WALSH & BRENNAN Family at Tubbercurry  (Read 32352 times)

Offline DavidStenson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: WALSH & BRENNAN Family at Tubbercurry
« Reply #18 on: Monday 02 January 12 01:12 GMT (UK) »
I have a Mary Anne Walsh born 1870 ish died 1948. Married Owen Stenson 1868-1948.

They lived out at Ougham, Tubbercurry. Stenson children were John Martin, Thomas Stenson (1905-1962) married Catherine Marren, Micheal John Stenson (1907-1975), Attracta Stenson (1909-1987) married Thomas Egan, James (Jim) Stenson (died 1979) married Margaret Marren, Bridget (Bea) Stenson (died 2002).

I believe that Mary Walsh had a brother called John Walsh, who went to New York and became a member of the NYPD, he died Jan 21 1932, in Line of Duty on 206 East 88th Street, Manhatten, New York. (This has been verified by Micheal Stenson's son).  It is believed he had at least two children Agnes Walsh and Joseph Walsh.

There was also another brother, Joseph Walsh who married a girl with the surame Filan.  And possibly another Patrick Walsh.    I have no other details on the Walsh's bar that.

As a footnote, would anyone have any idea if Catherine Marren and Margaret Marren were Sisters or have you anything else on them ? 

Was Mary Walsh related to the Walsh family band that bplayed the ballroom at Charlestown, Sligo ?  Mary was buried in St Attractas Cemetery, Tubbercurry.

Owen Stenson was the son of Anne Kilcoyne 1833-1911.

I have created a huge tree on my wife's side, but little luck so far on my fathers, so any help would be apprecaited.

I am wondering whether Patrick Walsh was from Rhue

Offline DavidStenson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 02 January 12 01:13 GMT (UK) »
hi all,

i just signed up while doing a google search for my great great great (?) granparents James Walsh and Anne Stenson (1815) and saw Clare's string.  One of my uncles has a family tree that is like 150 pages long going all the way back to James and Anne.  I would be interested in emailing if you have more information on my heritage.  what a fun surprise!

john rath
washington dc

Would appreciate access to your tree. Happy to reciprocate.

Offline JohnMB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 14 September 12 09:59 BST (UK) »
I've just learned that the Bridget Brennan who married Matthew Walsh was a sister of my great grandfather, Patrick Brennan (1853-1915) of Rhue, Tubbercurry. Her other known siblings were Mark Brennan (1855) and twin sisters, Mary and Honor Brennan (1858). She married Matthew Walsh on 30 April 1872 in the RC Church of Tourlestrane. The witnesses were Michael Stenson and Beesy Cooke. The celebrant was Fr. Thomas Loftus PP. The marriage cert gives her age as 19 years and Matthew's as 21 years. Their father's names are recorded as James Walsh and Patrick Brennan.

Bridget's mother, Honor Brennan nee Healy may have lived with Bridget and Matthew for the last 8 or 9 years of her life. When she died on 16 March 1893 at Rhue the informant to the Registrar who was present at death is recorded as her daughter, Bridget Walsh.

Offline newbris

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 30 June 13 11:53 BST (UK) »
I am researching the two sons of MARGARET WALSH, i.e. MARTIN & THOMAS BRENNAN from Tubbercurry.
MARTIN who died 16 Oct 1984 lived at St Annes, Ballynote Rd,his widow was XXX
THOMAS died on 1 January 1997,his widow was XXX , they lived at Moylough.Their children are
XXX

Martin & Thomas's mother Margaret nee Walsh, (I do not have their fathers name) would have been my great aunt. Her brother MICHAEL WILLIAM WALSH born 5th Dec 1876, in Ballincurry, was my GRANDFATHER. There was a further brother John J Walsh.He died in 1958 and had a son XXX , who at the age of 76 was still farming at the place where his father, and my grandfather and great aunt were all born.Their parents names were Michael Walsh and Mary Walsh (this was also her maiden name according to Grandad's Birth Cert.)
My grandfather married FLORENCE DAINES from Bocking Essex, lived at Aldershot whilst he was in the Grenadier Guards and moved to Sheffield, Yorkshire where he died in Dec 1942. They had six children , XXX and Norah,who was my mum.
Any help would be just grand from  Patricia N Grocock

Moderator comment: these are recent events so names of people who are or might still be living have been removed.  Please use the Personal Message system to exchange such details if necessary.

Hi Patricia,

Despite your post being over 3 years old I have decided to reply in case you get an email notification.

Your Margaret Walsh married John Brennan.

They had quite a few children including my grandmother, May.

The children included:
- Peter
- John
- Winnie
- Martin
- May
- Matthew
- Thomas

I think the last of them to die was Matthew (Mattie) in London in 2003.

My mum remembers Margaret dying in 1950 when my mother was 9.

John J Walsh also had a daughter, Mary Kate, who was my grandmother's lifetime best friend.

Let me know if you get this and still want more info on Martin and Thomas as my mother knew them. I actually met Thomas's wife Corsina in her home when she was quite old around 13 years ago.

Regards David (Brisbane, Australia)

BTW, Here is a link to Margaret's growing family in the 1911 census:

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Sligo/Achonry_East/Moylough/771087/

Offline Helen Rochford Brennan

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 02 December 13 21:32 GMT (UK) »
Patricia  I can help you as I am Martin Brennan's son
Regards
Sean Brennan

Offline Aoneill23

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 28 January 16 22:01 GMT (UK) »
My grandfather was Michael Walsh and ran the farm at Ougham. He died around 1976. He was married to Margaret. They had 7 children and my uncle Kevin still has the property. I don't know if that's a direct link.

Offline cenoll48

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 25 June 17 18:54 BST (UK) »
Re; Walsh Brennan Family of Tubbercurry.

These are all my relatives. My great grandparents are Bridget and Matthew Walsh. Luke is my great uncle ane Celia  Walsh mc veigh is my great Aunt. Rhue Cemetery is where they are all buried.  Cathy Noll

Offline cenoll48

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 25 June 17 19:08 BST (UK) »
David Stenson,

My great great grandparents were Ann Stenson and James Walsh. I have an extensive Walsh Brennan tree started by my Uncle Matt Walsh. I am looking for any info on the Stensons. I can share my tree. I am in the U.S. Cathy Walsh Noll

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 11 July 17 09:59 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat Cathy.

I will just check some of the members notifications for you to see if they are still receiving updates on this topic.

Regards

Sarah :)
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk