Author Topic: WALSH & BRENNAN Family at Tubbercurry  (Read 32353 times)

Offline JohnMB

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: WALSH & BRENNAN Family at Tubbercurry
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 04 November 10 14:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kerry,

Thanks for that. Unfortunately, I only have web access in work at lunchtime and IT protocols prevent me from accessing the link you supplied to your photos. As my grand uncle, Patrick Walsh was from Rhue I thought that he'd be buried there but I couldn't find a grave for him when I last visited 3 years ago although I found graves of cousins, aunts, uncles, grand parents and ggrand parents. I'm sure it is entirely possible that he is buried in St. Attracta's and that just I missed his grave. I must visit it again when I swing through Sligo next spring while searching for the graves of some of my Frizzell ancestors and relatives.

John B.

Offline wetstone

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 04 November 10 15:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi John,

There are photos of about 6 headstones for Patrick Walshs.  One gives Rhue as place of residence/birth - Patrick Walsh died 1922 aged 42, also his son Patrick.  Possible?

Kerry
Walsh, Kilroy, Lundy, Shea, Pritchard, Tuffley, Suckley, Howse

Offline JohnMB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 04 November 10 16:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kerry,

Yes, that could possibly be my Patrick. Among his children was a Patrick born on 19 July 1919. Patrick senior's widow, Margaret Brennan stated that Patrick died in Sept 1923 on her US Naturalisation application.

John B.

Offline wetstone

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 04 November 10 16:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi John,

I have misquoted son's name, it should have read James.
Sorry - old age!

Kerry

Offline JohnMB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 04 November 10 16:29 GMT (UK) »
No problem Kerry! Thanks for your interest and support.

John B.

Offline JohnMB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 25 February 11 12:54 GMT (UK) »
I recently found the death certificate for my grand uncle, Patrick Walsh in the GRO, Dublin. He died on 20 August 1922, aged 40 years, at home in Rhue from cardiac disease which he was certified as suffering from for 2 years. His wife Margaret Brennan was the informant to the Registrar of his death.

Offline wetstone

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 26 February 11 11:05 GMT (UK) »
In an attempt to discover whereabouts in Ireland my Walsh ancestor came from I revisited the Griffith Valuation. I discovered a Daniel Walsh shown with land & land and house at Toorlestraun, Kilmactiege Parish, Tobercurry Union, Co. Sligo.  Landlord Timothy O'Donnell  The property appears to have been jointly held with James Walsh.   11a on map. Google streetview shows a small renovated farmhouse on this spot.
My earliest known Walsh ancestor was a Daniel Walsh and his occupation is given on his son's, also named Daniel, wedding certificate as 'farmer'.  I got me wondering if this Daniel from Toorlestrane might actually be my 3x gt grandfather.
The only irish ancestors for whom I have been able to trace an origin in Ireland were Lundys and Kilroys and I know that they came from Co. Sligo and that at least one came from Tobercurry.
My 2x gt grandfather, Daniel was born about 1826 and came to England (Liverpool) sometime between 1841 and 1851. He was a tailor by trade.
If anyone has any information about any Daniel Walshs in the Tobercurry, Rhue, Toorlestrane area it would be of great interest to me.
Kerry

Offline DavidStenson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: WALSH & BRENNAN FAMILY AT TUBBERCURRY
« Reply #16 on: Friday 04 March 11 21:51 GMT (UK) »

I would be interested in the Stenson information, my post is here

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,518399.0.html

My Great Grandfather was Owen Stenson (1868-1948) married Mary Anne WALSH (died May 1948), Oagham, Tubbercurry, Co Sligo they had a
Thomas Stenson (1905-1962) married to Catherine MARREN (1909-1975).
James (Jim) Stenson died 1979
John (Jack) Stenson born approx 1904, may have married a Nora Feeley and apparently had two girls
Micheal John Stenson (1907-1975)
Bea (Bridget) Stenson (died 2002) married Matty Brown
Attracta Stenson (1909-1987) married a Thomas Egan

Owen Stenson (1868-1948) father was Martin Stenson born approx 1950 possibly in Dowras, Co Sligo.   Buried Banada Cemetery, nr Tubbercurry, Co Sligo.  Married to Anne KILCOYNE

Owen appears to have had a brother John, others may have emigrated to the US.

We think Martin’s father was Thomas, Martin had a sister Catherine Stenson who married Micheal KILCOYNE, we believe from Curry, Co Sligo. They had the following children

Micheal Kilcoyne
Thomas Kilcoyne
Luke Kilcoyne
Catherine (Kate) Kilcoyne
Devine Kilcoyne ?

Hi Patricia,

I have family trees for both Walshes and Brennans, my family is from Annagh/Tourlestrane in Tubbercurry and my Great Grandma was Celia Walsh, her parents were Matthew Walsh and Bridget Brennan, I have lots of family trees but can't seem to see your names and dates - perhaps they were cousins of Celia's, she had no sister called Margaret and her youngest brother died in 1980, do you have any more info?

I also have some fairly limited info in regards to Stensons in that my great, great, great grandmother was anne stenson, born 1815, she married James Walsh and they had 5 children including Matthew Walsh (mentioned above).

I am wondering if your great grandfather Michael Walsh would have been the brother of my great grandma celia - he was born in 1886 and died in 1956.

Clare

Offline johnprath

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 21 October 11 21:12 BST (UK) »
hi all,

i just signed up while doing a google search for my great great great (?) granparents James Walsh and Anne Stenson (1815) and saw Clare's string.  One of my uncles has a family tree that is like 150 pages long going all the way back to James and Anne.  I would be interested in emailing if you have more information on my heritage.  what a fun surprise!

john rath
washington dc