Author Topic: John Campbell and Temperance Perkins  (Read 20999 times)

Offline mygirlbill

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Campbell and Temperance Perkins
« on: Thursday 25 February 10 21:48 GMT (UK) »
I have very little info on this couple. John was apparently born in Breadalbane Perthshire between 1805 and 1820. He married Temperance Perkins date and place unknown. Their first child was Robert Perkins Campbell birthdate unknown, place Breadalbane, Perthshire. John and Temperance came out to Australia with at least 3 of their children that I know of and they being Robert Perkins, John Edwin and Frederick Foster Campbell. Have no idea when they came out to Australia or on which ship. I have been led to believe that Frederick was born in 1838 so it had to be sometime after that. Can anyone advise me how to move along with the minimal information that I have. Any help no matter how small would be so much appreciated. Many thanks in advance. mygirlbill

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: John Campbell and Temperance Perkins
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 25 February 10 22:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi mygirlbill

How certain are you on the locations and names? It is just that particularly with the name of Temperance Perkins I'm not sure if their origins are in Scotland  :-\

I also think that Temperance may have been Temperance Perkins Stevens.

There is this for example http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=derwood&id=I62680

There are also a number of Ancestry Trees on the line of a John "Tinker" Campbell and Temperance Perkins Stevens where the children show as:

John Edwin Campbell  b. 1834 in Queensland, Australia, d. 1898
Rebecca Elizabeth Campbell b.1836 in Queensland, Australia -
Frederick Foster Campbell b. 1838 in Queensland, Australia, d. 1893
Robert Perkins Campbell b. 1844 in Cudgegong River, New South Wales, Australia, d. 1916

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 25 February 10 22:29 GMT (UK) »
There is also this link which seems to work back on Temperance's line http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=AHN&db=derwood&id=I38653

Monica

Offline mygirlbill

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 26 February 10 00:28 GMT (UK) »
Wow!! WOWEEE!! Thank you so much Monica for the info. I'm absolutely delighted. Yes it is the same family alright but it would seem that I have been given the wrong information as to where the children were born etc. As I mentioned earlier, I was told that the first 3 sons were all born in Breadalbane and that their 4 daughters, Emma, Bessy, Rebecca and Clara were all born in Queensland somewhere. I am not a subscriber to Ancestry but I'll check out the sites that you send me and see what I can find out. I've got a start and will now see what I can find out. Also, from where in Scotland did ships leave to come to Australia or did ships only leave from England? I may just browse the net and see what I can find. Once again, many, many thanks. Very grateful. mygirlbill

Offline mygirlbill

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 26 February 10 01:24 GMT (UK) »
I can't seem to locate the Ancestry online family tree of John Tinker Campbell and Temperance Perkins Stevens. Does it say where they were born? If they are the very same couple born in the U.S. then I will have to change my research to that area and try to find out if this couple came to Australia sometime in the 1840's. The plot thickens.........cheers. mygirlbill

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 26 February 10 09:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi

The family trees information does seem to indicate that John and Temperance were from the US (although one tree has John being born in Nova Scotia) but marriage dates all see to correspond.

You need to have a subscription to Ancestry to access the member submitted family trees which explains why you are not able to access them unfortunately. Do your state libraries have the Ancestry library access that perhaps you could take advantage of?

Would the family have come through the UK before heading off to Australia? Would they not have sailed directly there from the US perhaps?

If I can give you some suggestions. It might be worthwhile putting up two new posts here on RC. One on the Australian board and the other in US board. This way, people with access to more relevant resources could hopefully find more on the family. If you put links on any new post to any other related posts, such as this one, then people can see what has been found to date and work from there - always helps  :)

Monica

Offline bthomson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 25 March 10 03:29 GMT (UK) »
Mygirlbill

I have been researching the family tree of John 'Tinker' Campbell and Temperance Perkins Campbell (nee Stevens).  My family is descended from their son, Robert Perkins Campbell.

The dates that I have are as follows:

John 'Tinker' Campbell
b.  1808 - Cape Elizabeth, Maine.
d.  08 Dec 1877 - Cleveland, QLD

Temperance Perkins Campbell
b.  09 Feb 1809 - Brooksville, Hancock, Maine
d.  14 Dec 1877 - Cleveland, QLD

I have a marriage date for the couple in Cape Elizabeth on 29 Oct 1833.  Family members have recrods which indicate that they emigrated from Halifax, Nova Scotia to Sydney, Australia in 1833 on the MicMac.

There are certainly some records in Australia especially NSW, but I am still not sure if the birth certificates relate to registering their births as opposed to birth dates.

Happy to keep in contact - are you able to outline your connection to John Tinker Campbell - I am going to New York and then onto Maine next month and hope to get some recods on John Campbell and the marriage certificate of the couple.

BT

Offline bthomson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 25 March 10 04:02 GMT (UK) »
Mygirlbill

Just a point of clarification - my research indicates that the Campbell family starting with John and Temperance had three boys and one girl.  These include John Edwin, Frederick Foster, Robert Perkins and Rebecca Elizabeth.

I am also not sure if you are working backwards from here or moving forward down the family tree.  I have been researching the family tree forwards - there is a fair amount of information on Temperance's family going back, if you research the family Perkins in Castine, Maine.  There is a museum there - Wilson Museum - that includes the Perkins House.  Temperance was the daughter of Major Thomas Stevens and Rebecca Elizabeth Perkins, and REP came from a large familly. 

As for going backwards from John 'Tinker' Campbell, the family has been unable to get any records going back from him.  I hope to get something when I travel to Maine next month.  Check this website out for John Tinker Campbell - http://adbonline.anu.edu.au/biogs/A010188b.htm

I have done some major research on the descendants of the Campbell's who eventually resided in Moreton Bay, Queensland (just off Brisbane) and married into Aboriginal families from North Stradbroke Island, namely Robert Perkins Campbell married Rose Gonzalles.  Rose's father was Fernando Gonzalles, a Spanish emigrant from the Phillipines.  Robert Perkins Campbell had 10 children and there a fair amount of family on Stradbroke Island, Brisbane and around Australia (and I daresay the world) that can describe their heritage back to Robert and Rose Campbell.

The other sisters that you mention - Emma, Bessy, Rebecca and Clara - I am not sure if this is correct.  There is a photo which I have attached - and the caption should read - Back row (L-R): John Edwin Campbell, Robert Perkins Campbell, Frederick Foster Campbell Second Row: Emma Enoch, Bessie Burke, Rosy Campbell with daughter Syliva in her arms, Rebecca Campbell, Clara Thomson. Boy in sailor suit is Les Thomson. Front row: Charlie Campbell, Bob Campbell, Fred Campbell.  The photo includes the wife of Robert Perkins Campbell, Rose, and includes the majority of her children.  Her daughter, Rebecca sistting beside her is my great grandmother.

Hope this helps you...

Offline coonungi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 07 May 10 22:50 BST (UK) »
Hi

The family trees information does seem to indicate that John and Temperance were from the US (although one tree has John being born in Nova Scotia) but marriage dates all see to correspond.

You need to have a subscription to Ancestry to access the member submitted family trees which explains why you are not able to access them unfortunately. Do your state libraries have the Ancestry library access that perhaps you could take advantage of?

Would the family have come through the UK before heading off to Australia? Would they not have sailed directly there from the US perhaps?

If I can give you some suggestions. It might be worthwhile putting up two new posts here on RC. One on the Australian board and the other in US board. This way, people with access to more relevant resources could hopefully find more on the family. If you put links on any new post to any other related posts, such as this one, then people can see what has been found to date and work from there - always helps  :)

Monica