Author Topic: John Campbell and Temperance Perkins  (Read 20986 times)

Offline obyone

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Campbell and Temperance Perkins
« Reply #18 on: Monday 08 February 16 21:15 GMT (UK) »
My Great Great Grandfather, Richard Power Cummins (Cummings) arrived in Port Jackson aboard the brig Mary on 26 July 1835. He travelled steerage with among others, Increase Robinson Bell plus Mr and Mrs Campbell and child travelled in cabin.

The only information I have on R P Cummins' place of origin is via his marriage certificate which states he came from British America. No knowledge of his parents or specific birth date ( approx 1812)

Increase Robinson Bell was a witness to his wedding and I can only assume they struck up a friendship on the voyage to Sydney. He wasn't involved in tin industry.

I have seen press reports that the Mary commenced her voyage to Sydney in Reo de Janeiro. But I also have found where that ship also visited the ports in Baltimore and Norfolk-Portsmouth, Virginia about same time (i.e. Jan 1835).

I am looking for any leads which may direct me to the port where R P Cummins may have commenced his journey.

I have seen somewhere that some of the passengers on the Mary originally started their voyage aboard the Micmac but it ran into trouble at/near Reo de Janeiro and they then had to swap to the Mary.

Would appreciate any help you may be able to offer.

Offline mygirlbill

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 08 February 16 21:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi! Not sure that I can help you all that much however, if you PM me your email addy, I will send you the files that I was send regarding John Campbell's journey to Australia. I notice that you have only done the one post so far. I believe that you have to make at least 2/3 before you can PM. So to be on the safe side, do another 2. and then PM me your email addy.

Offline obyone

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 09 February 16 10:08 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that offer mygirlbill.

I have now done 3 extra posts on another family member so will now learn how to send private message with contact details

Offline dolphinrim

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 09 February 16 12:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi obyone

I am a great-great-grandson of Increase Robinson Bell and my brother has extensively researched his origins.  It is of great interest that he was a witness at your relative's marriage.  I will send supporting documents if you can send me your e-mail as to mygirlbill.  In essence it appears that John "Tinker" Campbell came from Halifax Nova Scotia, to Sydney via Hobart in the MicMac in 1834, financing his trip by selling his cargo of American clocks.  Apparently clocks were in very short supply in Australia.  He 'sussed out' the new colony and found that land was to be had for very little or nothing at the outskirts of the new colony.  My understanding is that he returned to Halifax or Boston and sold the MicMac.  He had obtained the patent to a tin plate pressing machine and so came back to Australia to arrive on the Brig Mary on 26 July 1935.

John Campbell is said to have come from USA - Westbrook Maine.  It is not clear that he was born there.  He relocated to Halifax, Nova Scotia but often visited in the Boston, Massachusetts area.  He was a man of great ideas which did not always work out.  In the first trip he had discovered that
tinwork was in short supply and had in his possession on arrival the patent and pattern for a tin pressing machine.  The hold of the brig Mary was said to hold 36 hundredweight of tin and in steerage were at least 4 qualified tinsmiths that we know of - John Smith, Increase Robinson Bell George Balser and James Green.

On arrival these chaps +/- a few worked for Campbell who plied their works in Sydney town. (Hence "Tinker" Campbell.  This appears to have continued for 2-3 years and then Campbell took up land at Maitland, then at Severn River on the Queensland border, then on the advice of Arthur Hodgson, squatted at a property he named Westbrook (after his home town) near Toowoomba.  This still exists today

Given the high percentage of the ship's passengers associated with John Campbell, it may be that he was associated in some way.  Certainly if he came all the way from Halifax he must have known him.  I wonder in Cummings' case whether, if not a whitesmith, then was he a clockmaker?

As to the trip.  Oral tradition as told to Ignatius, Increase's son says that their ship from Halifax/Boston to Rio de Janeiro nearly foundered and the passengers had to man the ship in part as there was serious illness of the crew and extreme weather.  Whether that was the reason for taking the Mary from Rio or whether it was pre-arranged I am not sure.  There are several brig "Mary"'s around and this led to initial confusion.  However, this brig did a regular run from Liverpool, Rio, Capetown, Hobart, Sydney.  On this trip it did not return to Liverpool but took on passengers at Rio.  The route was dictated by the winds.

MicMac" is the anglicised name of a NovaScotian/Labrador aboriginal tribe (previously called red Indians")

Hope this is of some help - happy to send further info re Campbell and Increase Bell via e-mail

Offline obyone

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 09 February 16 20:09 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for this information Dolphinrim as it fills in a few blanks.  I will communicate via PM with email address

Offline obyone

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 14 February 16 08:58 GMT (UK) »
I am new at this game and for some reason I dont appear to be able to send Private Message

Offline mygirlbill

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 14 February 16 10:38 GMT (UK) »
I received the one you send me 5 days ago with your email addy.

Offline mrluigi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 13 June 16 05:56 BST (UK) »
I'm conducting some family history research for my wife, who's a descendant of Tinker and Temperance. I haven't visited this forum for some years, and the new information about the Mary sounds very interesting. If I organise a few more posts so that I can make use of PM, would I be able to request more information by email from you, dolphinrim and mygirlbill?
Coghill in Caithness, Marsellos in Kythera, Schatkofsky (Kwiatkowski, Kuskie) in Poland, Coomer in Kent, Miller in Caithness, Prior in Hertford, Harward in Plymtree, Hooton in Middlesex, Bonner in Kent, Campbell in Maine, Fernandez Gonzales and Junobin in Queensland, Stevens in Maine, Perkins in Maine, Blake in Bristol, Carpenter in London.

Offline mygirlbill

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 13 June 16 22:48 BST (UK) »
Hi there. Almost all the information that I have was given to me by Dolphinrim so he would be your best bet. However, I was able to obtain some other bits besides which I will be happy to share with you also. I will PM you my email addy.