Author Topic: Meikle Of Glasgow  (Read 4520 times)

Offline outback_thunda

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Meikle Of Glasgow
« on: Friday 26 February 10 08:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi all I am searching for Info on a Thomas Basford Meikle Born Glasgow 1907, His father was James Cairns Meikle, mother janret Basford. He immigrated to Australia in approx 1926 apparently but am unable to find any onfo anywhere. Can anyone help? PLease
Thankyou in advance

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Meikle Of Glasgow
« Reply #1 on: Friday 26 February 10 11:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi outback_thunda

Are you trying to work back to Thomas' ancestors or work forward to find his shipping manifest and when he arrived in Australia?

Have you looked at the image on Scotlands People for Thomas' birth, is this where you got the details of parents? If so, were his parents married at the time of Thomas' birth? Can't easily see a marriage for them.

The reason I ask is that I can see WW1 pension/service papers for a James Cairns Meikle which indicate that this James was unmarried but did have a child that he wanted to provide for from his military pay.

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline outback_thunda

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 26 February 10 12:11 GMT (UK) »
Oh K.. Umm I am trying to Find What ship Thomas came To AUstralia on in 1926. I am also then trying to work back from there. I can not find a birth record anywhere for Thomas Basford Meikle. James Cairns Meikle apparently had 3 children..1 annie, william and Thomas and maybe another illegitamate child. I wasn't aware James was a serviceman.

The information for parents was obtained through living relatives. But everything stops at james Cairns Meikle. and the info is very hazy.

Offline outback_thunda

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 26 February 10 12:12 GMT (UK) »
Oh James Cairns Meikle was married in 1902 to Janet Basford

Offline outback_thunda

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 26 February 10 12:16 GMT (UK) »
I should note James Cairns Meikle was born 1870.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 26 February 10 12:20 GMT (UK) »
So mother not Annie? Helps to put down as much info as you can and have to date so that people can add to what you have  :)

A Thomas Basford Meikle shows as born in 1907 in Maryhill, Glasgow. If you haven't looked at this image on www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk might be worth you having a look at this birth cert on line. This would include full details on parents including date and place of their marriage.

If Thomas' mother is Janet, their marriage entry is also available to view on line which will give you details on James and Janet's parents to let you work back to their families.

There is a current offer due to end on the 28 Feb I believe for free units for Scotlands People which is pay to view. See www.ancestralscotland.com/roots

You can register on Scotlands People for free and then use the voucher code you get from Ancestral Scotland to gain 30 units to access these images  :)

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 26 February 10 12:25 GMT (UK) »
Maybe the Annie Cairns you mentioned in your first post was James' mother? Possible birth entry for him from what you have now added:

JAMES MEIKLE Birth: 25 APR 1870 Bridgeton, Glasgow
Parents: JOHN MEIKLE and ANNIE CAIRNS

His marriage cert to Janet will let you verify his parents and work back with confidence from there  :)

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 26 February 10 13:38 GMT (UK) »
There is a family tree on Ancestry for the line of Thomas, son of James and Janet. Have you got access to Ancestry (you need to have a subscription to Ancestry to view member submitted trees).

Quite a lot of info on Thomas on there including a photo of him and his wife Ena :)

The marriage for parents is showing in England in 1902. Janet is showing as having been born in St Albans (where the marriage took place) in 1874.

Thomas' birth entry should, as mentioned, let you confirm details.

From Ancestry's incoming passengers' database, Thomas looks to have made a trip back to Glasgow in 1930, arriving in Southampton on 14 Jun 1930 from Brisbane. His occupation is given a policeman which matches what is on the Australian Electoral rolls in the 1930s.

Monica

Offline outback_thunda

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 26 February 10 20:27 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou very much for your help. I didn;t know where to start with Scotland birth sites etc. i will sift through what you's have provided and will get back if anythiing is needed. Appreciate your help. Thanks :)