Author Topic: New Howff Cemetery, Dundee-Completed, thank you!  (Read 3656 times)

Offline Jay0777

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
New Howff Cemetery, Dundee-Completed, thank you!
« on: Friday 26 February 10 10:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I have just found out that an ancestor of mine was buried in New Howff Cemetery in Dundee. This, I believe is now a multi storey car park!!! So much for rest in peace!! Wonder, can anyone tell me if the bodies were reburied somewhere else and if so where?

Many thanks.

Jay

Moderator Comment: title edited to remove excess capital letters.
See Topic: >>----- Guidelines for Postings / Netiquette -----<<, Reply #2 for explanation.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,123033.0.html
Pollock, Thomson, Kane, Hutton, Johnston, McGeehan, Sweeney Moan, Patterson, Gilchrist, Davidson, Silver, Neilson, Porterfield, Meyrick

Offline Betty Boo

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: New Howff Cemetery, Dundee
« Reply #1 on: Friday 05 March 10 18:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jay,

As far as I can remember the graves were dug up the coffins/bodys/'bones taken to Balgay Cemetery where they were re buried.  There were several priests and ministers etc of various religions did a service at the time.

Betty

Offline Jay0777

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: New Howff Cemetery, Dundee
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 07 March 10 22:51 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Betty Boo for the info. I have  received another email which informs me the remains where removed and reburied in a plot in the Eastern Cemetery, I don't know whether this is the same place as Balgay Cemetery. I understand they are buried in one plot and not individual plots which is a shame!!

Really appreciate your help.

Kind regards.

Jay

Pollock, Thomson, Kane, Hutton, Johnston, McGeehan, Sweeney Moan, Patterson, Gilchrist, Davidson, Silver, Neilson, Porterfield, Meyrick

Offline Mrs Boffin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: New Howff Cemetery, Dundee-Completed, thank you!
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 14 August 18 01:11 BST (UK) »
I see this is a very old thread.  My 2-cents worth: I have a relative who was buried in the New Howff Cemetery.  Research led me learn that the bodies in that cemetery were dug up and transferred to a common grave area in the Dundee East Cemetery.  I went there this summer (2018).  It was a large common grave area.  At least it was well-tended and peaceful.  But, it's sad when your relatives are in a common grave.  There was a little sign.  (Sorry, my Photoshop isn't working just now and I would need to decrease the size of the photos to post.)

Offline Mrs Boffin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 10 December 18 14:49 GMT (UK) »
I am replying to my own post because someone sent me a PM and I cannot reply to her until I have posted three posts.  So, this is my second post.

Offline Mrs Boffin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 10 December 18 14:51 GMT (UK) »
I am replying to my own post again to bring the number up to 3 so that I can qualify to be allowed to reply to a PM I received from someone.