Author Topic: Origins of PENROSE aka PENROS  (Read 57627 times)

Offline Chris Penrose

• RootsChat Member
  • Penrose etc family history research
    • View Profile
Re: Origins of Penrose aka Penros
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 14 September 05 07:54 BST (UK) »
Jill

I am very interested in discreetly adding Penroses to my contact list at the moment. If you are interested, then send me a personal message with your email address and I will send out an invitation from my group.

The free online resources for old BMDs in West Penwith are still slowly going on the GENUKI Genealogy pages, and are not complete yet for St Just.

I am however having some success in unravelling the maze of inter-relationships with the Penroses in the area.

I would make clear that ALL Penroses are related. It is just a question of going finding the common rdescendant to each of us.

Hope to hear from you soon.

All the best

Chris

Penrose Pollard Stoddern Bowers Milnes Starkey Chappell

Offline Emsey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 14 September 05 08:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Jill, I'm the Marilyn that Chris is referring to, you are Welcome to join our group, I think there are 3 Penrose researchers in our group. If you check my tree you will see the Hattam tree link that Chris is referring to & also another couple who may also have them.
we would be happy for you, or any researcher to join us, happy hunting, Marilyn. ::)
Ashton, Bennetts, Blewett, Bullen,Carpenter, Charlesworth, Crase, Eddy, Hounslow, Grenfell, Guy, Jacobs, Lord, Mathews, Nicholls, Pickford, Rollings, Thomas, Todd, White, Yelland.

Offline Chris Penrose

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 16 October 05 10:00 BST (UK) »
I now know from my CD of the Cornwall Visitations that I go back to Penrose of Sennen, and then it is a question of finding where this links in with Penrose of Sithney.

I have a great number of books and some CDs now so if anyone wants to contact me please do so either by replies on this board, or a personal message.

All the best

Chris

Offline jill.penrose

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 16 October 05 21:26 BST (UK) »
Hello Chris
My Penrose family lived in St Just.
I have found proof going back until I reached James Penrose born 9 April 1667 married Jane Davies. For the line further up the tree a Mormon person has given the information and I cannot read the films as the copies are too faint. Do you have any proof of :-
This James, hid parents, Roger Penrose baptised 2 Sept 1838 married Margaret Thomas on 1 Sept 1666 all at St Just.
Do you have any information further up the tree.
Regards from
Jill Penrose

Offline Chris Penrose

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 16 October 05 22:19 BST (UK) »
Jill

Can you confirm those years please.

Chris

Offline Chris Penrose

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 16 October 05 23:15 BST (UK) »
Dear Jill

First of all, James's brothers and sisters can be found on IGI on the LDS website by the following search:

Penrose, Birth/Christening, 1667 - 1687, Cornwall, England, British Isles
Father: Roger
Exact Spelling: Off
Batch Number: P020311

A feature of this is that there are two Margarets because the first one died in infancy, which is reflected in the record.

My list of Penrose marriages from the Cornish Studies Centre leads me to my Phillimores CD which shows the marriage of James and Jane on 18th February 1709.

Then, five children are listed from batch P020311

Penrose, Birth/Christening, 1708 - 1728, Cornwall, England, British Isles
Father: James
Batch Number: p020311

A feature of this is that again there is an infant death. This time there are two Marys because the first one died in infancy, which is reflected in the record.

You will be descended from James b. 28th September 1709, because the other son died in infancy on 7th November 1723.

From here it is speculative,  but if it comes up to where you know ..............?

My Cd shows the next James marries Elizabeth Wallis on 5th November 1733

There are seven children listed from this search, none of which show an infant mortality.

Penrose, Birth/Christening, 1733 - 1753, Cornwall, England, British Isles
Father: James
Batch Number: p020311

Four sons John, William,  James, and Richard

Does this help?

All the best

Chris Penrose

Offline Chris Penrose

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 17 October 05 01:04 BST (UK) »
Jill

About the date of Roger's birth. I concur that 1638 is a decent date of birth.

As far as IGI go there is a problem with the Roger Penrose listed as born 2nd September 1683 as it is too much of a coincidence.

The Phillimores go to 1599, with a guesstimate of the marriage of Roger's father as 1632 +/- 5 years.

Hence the need to be sure about the date.

From there it is just a few or even one generation to the visitations of Cornwall.

If the 1683 date is correctthen we are looking foir 

Offline Chris Penrose

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 17 October 05 08:48 BST (UK) »
Jill

Good morning.

I have just looked again at the Phillimores Marriage Lists and there are no Penroses married at St Just prior to Roger in 1666.

The history of Cornwall churches is an interesting one with many suspending certain ceremonies for up to a year, but no Penroses listed prior to 1666 leaves it up in the air a bit.

The comments made by the marriage register transcribers do not fill me with optimism. However, it is a question of casting around a bit and looking at all available records. I cannot believe a whole family can go missing at a time when the British fascination with records and cross-referencing had already begun.

The Tax/Subsidy records might help, so I will take this with me when I am up at my University on Wednesday. Leeds does not have the muster rolls, so if anyone else can help.............???

All the best

Chris

Offline jill.penrose

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 17 October 05 21:44 BST (UK) »
Hello Chris
Thanks for the prompt reply.
All the Penroses you refer to are mine.
I agree with you that the 2 Rogers one B 2 Sept 1638 and "his son" B 2 Sept 1683 are probibly a mis transcription. Roger B 1683 sounds OK but as I have no more infor about the other one will eliminate him as he is not relevent to my tree.
Appart from Roger B 1683 and his son James B 1667 all their descendents I have found on films of the church records so am pretty sure they are correct.

Regards from
Jill Penrose