Author Topic: Origins of PENROSE aka PENROS  (Read 57508 times)

Offline Lee Penrose

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Origins of PENROSE aka PENROS
« Reply #54 on: Thursday 26 November 09 23:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Chris,

Thanks for the additional information. My initial research shows that Jeptha married Susanna Kensey on 29th August 1726 in the parish of Feock (OPC ID 323015). The IGR shows that Jepha was christened in 1703; however for his father William is appears from other research that he died in 1701 and was buried in Lanivett. I suppose it's possible that Jeptha was christened a few years after his dad died but it seems a big gap. Any views on this? Do you have a birth date for Jeptha?

My family moved to the Isle of Man from Staffordshire in the early 1960's. My father (son of Reginald Penrose who was your great uncle William's son - William moved up from Cornwall to Staffordshire with the railways at the beginning of the 20th Century), had three boys Peter, Howard (my father), Brian and a daughter Enid. I have a brother Malcolm who has two daughters and a son and I have two daughters.

I guess you may be connected with the Falmouth chandlers and sailmakers? It seems the sea is very much in the blood. My father sails and I have sailed and messed around in boats since I was 8 years old.   

Best wishes, Lee

Offline Chris Penrose

• RootsChat Member
  • Penrose etc family history research
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Saturday 28 November 09 21:57 GMT (UK) »
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~hughwallis/IGIBatchNumbers/CountyCornwall.htm#S

Go to this link, and you get the IGI Batch numbers from the LDS Website.
Find Saint Clement, and click the link for C053101.
Insert PENROSE in the SEARCH box and up they all come.

I had to get them into some sort of order by grouping families together, using parents names to help.

After that, on one of my trips from Leeds a few years ago, I was able to identify the missing links back to the start. A learning process, and comprehensive death information is still hard to come by online. You have to go to Truro, or the Cornwall Studies Centre to get the information.

I hesitate to suggest that the William who died in Lanivet is wrong, but there is little evidence that I have found that the St Clement PENROSES had reason to leave the area.

Personally, I am happy enough with my line that I may wait until I no longer work to pursue it further.

In the meantime I will sit here in Leeds on my comfy sofa helping as many as I can with research ideas.

Regards

Chris
Penrose Pollard Stoddern Bowers Milnes Starkey Chappell

Offline James Martin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Monday 27 September 10 13:14 BST (UK) »
Hello I am a direct descendant of James Penrose from Redruth Cornwall who married  Emily James in 1864 came to Maldon Victoria Australia to mine gold in 1865. I have been able to trace him back to his parents Richard born 1820 I believe and Frances of St Agnes Cornwall but that is as far as i have been able to go so far. In 1851 there was a Paul and Elizabeth Penrose residing in St Agnes aged 58 and 60 respectively and i suspect they may be the parents but have not been able to confirm.. do you have any suggestions for me Chris?

Thankyou by the way for all your efforts here! I hope all the Penrose's are appreciative
James M
Penrose, Penros.

Offline Chris Penrose

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Tuesday 28 September 10 13:42 BST (UK) »
Hi James

The good news is that I am aware of your line, which descends from Richard Penrose of Merther/St Clement, then back to the first mention in documents in 1195 of Philip de Penros.

Have a read of brissygal on 17th June 2007!

Even better news is that a distant cousin of yours has compiled an accurate  family tree of Richard Penrose that includes your Australian ancestors.

The ancestry of the first Richard Penrose is obtainable for a relatively small charge from the Cornwall Family History Society (by email). All their contact details are on www.cornwallfhs.com

I will let you know if I ever fix a year to come over to Oz; I have relatives on my mother's side in Perth and a good friend in the Wanneroo area.

Offline James Martin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Richard PENROSE
« Reply #58 on: Wednesday 29 September 10 01:45 BST (UK) »
Thanks Chris excellent news I will definately follow up..
and yes by all means make sure you look me up if you come over...
If you want a laugh you can check me out under MARTY PENROSE on youtube...PS hope you like The bIG O
Penrose, Penros.

Offline laurenj

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Sunday 17 October 10 13:40 BST (UK) »
Hi there, I am a direct descendant of William Penrose (b 1761) who married Elizabeth Hill.  I am fairly new to researching the family tree, so am interested in any information (and tips!) anyone can give me.  I'm from the Australian line of Penrose's, and it looks like my great great grandfather, Henry Penrose worked in the gold mines in Maldon, Victoria.

From the research I've done so far, the Penrose and Berryman names seem to come up quite frequently in my tree!

Cheers
Lauren

Offline Chris Penrose

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Jane PENROSE and Joseph SEARLE
« Reply #60 on: Tuesday 01 March 11 23:27 GMT (UK) »
This is a research request I have received today; I have omitted the contact details until the researcher supplies them directly, and will be adding any further information as I can.

Chris

Hello,

As a new member of the Cornwall Family History Society, I discovered your name, email and family name interests in the Members Directory.  I am taking the liberty to send you an email about my interest in the Penrose family of Redruth.

Specifically I am interested in locating Jane Penrose who married Joseph Searle at St. Sampson Church in Golant on December 27, 1836.  We know that she was born September 2, 1810 or 1812 in Cornwall (Redruth parish), lived at Wringford Farm - Golant (according to the 1840 census) and died September 18, 1903 in Iowa.  She was my great great grandmother and emigrated to America in 1850.  Do you have any information about this woman and her family?

Any information you might have about this family would be so appreciated.  Thanking you in advance.

Offline Chris Penrose

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Jane PENROSE and Joseph SEARLE
« Reply #61 on: Wednesday 02 March 11 01:00 GMT (UK) »
The IGI and OPC records indicate a baptism of Jane in Golant, St. Sampson Parish on 8th November 1812; parents John and Margaret PENROSE. The 1841 online census record indicates that Jane was 25, though this may be a typo.

The church record input by the Online Parish Clerk (OPC) says that her marriage on 27th December 1836 was by Banns, and witnessed by Thomas PENROSE, Caroline SEARLE, and Andrew SEARLE.

I am getting a Lanreath connection for the above SEARLE's, and will check out Thomas and Jane PENROSE next.

Until later

Chris Penrose

Offline Chris Penrose

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Jane PENROSE of Golant, St Sampson cont'd
« Reply #62 on: Saturday 05 March 11 21:20 GMT (UK) »
Dear Kay, This link takes you to the IGI Batch Numbers for Cornwall:

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~hughwallis/IGIBatchNumbers/CountyCornwall.htm#S

Go to St Sampson/Golant, and click on Batch P2331. You then get up a "Search Criteria" screen, where for this search you should put PENROSE in the box provided in the top right corner.  Then "Submit" your query.

A number of entries for PENROSE will appear, and I what I normally do is to click on all within a reasonable date to check out the parents, and thus likely siblings of, in this case, Jane PENROSE. You will find two families of what I suspect were brothers.

Looking at the PENROSE name on the next IGI baptism batch (C22541), there are two further children of William and Mary.

Marriage Batch M002232 is quite informative in that it does not show John or William PENROSE, which suggests to me that they married elsewhere and then moved into the area to start their families. The Searles were from Lanreath.

Between the OPC lookup facility http://www.cornwall-opc-database.org/ , the LDS website, and the filtered IGI batch facility from ancestry.com freepages, you should be able to track back to the PENROSE family of Broadoak or Braddock, which I have researched before, see topic:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,401001.0.html

Have some fun with these resources, and also maybe also send a PM to the original poster of the enquiry.

All the best

Chris