Author Topic: Waterway Street c 1950  (Read 10591 times)

Offline Robert Fletcher

• RootsChat Veteran
  • And he's still just as cute!
    • View Profile
Waterway Street c 1950
« on: Friday 26 February 10 13:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Is there a way to find out who was living in Waterway Street, Nottingham circa 1950. I had family there and I don't know who it was. Could have been Fisher I was only 8 in 1950 memory not that good.
BELL - Nottingham
FISHER – Hinckley Leics
FLETCHER – Louth (District), Lincolnshire
HALLETT - Grimsby Lincs
MINKLEY - Notts & Leics

Offline sunflower

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Waterway Street c 1950
« Reply #1 on: Friday 26 February 10 18:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bob

Do you have a house number or are you wanting to know if there were any Fishers in the street at that time?

You need to check the electoral register or an old directory of Nottingham.  If you get in touch with Nottingham Records Office they may be able to help.

http://www.nottinghamshire.gov.uk/archives

Carol
Derby- Bamford,Slater,Marriott,Lee,Fox,Hopkinson,Hawksley, Furniss, Froggatt, Stodd.
Notts - Breeding, Lacey Marriott ,Kershaw,Chambers,Geeson,Mitchell,Watts,Potts,Slack,Robinson, Cooper
Yorkshire - Potts, Bell, Derbyshire, Kershaw
Worcestershire - Dyson, Summers, Dearn, Jones
Warwickshire - Russon
Leicestershire - Stodd, Sarson, Berridge, Watts, Bradshaw.
Middlesex / Surrey - Markham, Pearce, Kalaher, Barrett

This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Robert Fletcher

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 26 February 10 21:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bob

Do you have a house number or are you wanting to know if there were any Fishers in the street at that time?

You need to check the electoral register or an old directory of Nottingham.  If you get in touch with Nottingham Records Office they may be able to help.

http://www.nottinghamshire.gov.uk/archives

Carol

Hi Carol,

As you get off the city bus it was about half way down on the left. Sorry I know this sound stupid but that is all my memory will bring forth, plus a photo of "Our Clarie" that mother called him. But we used to visit there so many times. As a kid you are not interested in grown up talking and visiting the Castle or markets was more up my street.

My mother was a Bell but her first marriage was to a Fisher. The Bell's know nothing of Waterway St. so I am guessing a Fisher. No current contact.

Yes I will see if Records can help.

Bob...
BELL - Nottingham
FISHER – Hinckley Leics
HALLETT - Grimsby Lincs
MINKLEY - Notts & Leics

Offline Emily Hutchinson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 05 April 15 18:04 BST (UK) »
Hello
Does anyone remember Mary Lillian and jack Hutchinson ,no 201 waterway street as my father lived there as a baby . They also had a daughter called Barbara and I am trying  to trace his past back for him.
Kind regards
Emily Hutchinson

Offline Robert Fletcher

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 05 April 15 20:24 BST (UK) »
Hello
Does anyone remember Mary Lillian and jack Hutchinson ,no 201 waterway street as my father lived there as a baby . They also had a daughter called Barbara and I am trying  to trace his past back for him.
Kind regards
Emily Hutchinson
Hi Emily, welcome to Rootschat. My I was surprised when this came up because I see it was nearly 5 years ago that I wrote the original post. I did get all the details I wanted by going into Nottinghamshire Archives and looking at the electoral roll. At that time I didn't know who we were visiting in Waterway Street but it turned out to be my mother's in-laws from the first marriage.

Depending where you live if it's possible to go into the Nottinghamshire Archives the staff there will be really helpful. The other thing is that someone who visit the archives may offer to do a search for you. If nothing turns up I think there's some voluntary researchers who may be able to help.

If all else fails within the next say two or three weeks I may be able to help you myself, usually having plenty of time free I can make a trip over to Nottingham which I do from time to time just have a look around the city.

I think it's important you tell is what years you are thinking about so as to now that search down.

Regards,
Robert…
BELL - Nottingham
FISHER – Hinckley Leics
HALLETT - Grimsby Lincs
MINKLEY - Notts & Leics

Offline Emily Hutchinson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 05 April 15 21:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Robert
Thank you ,
It's great to have a reply so soon. I have tried using the ancestry website  but i didn't find it very user friendly so I just happened to find this website by chance on google.
I recently sent off for a copy of my Dads  birth certificate and this was the address registered at the time of his birth. Lily Hutchinson was my Dads biological mother, and for unknown and un judged reasons my Dad spent the majority of his childhood in a children's home until he was fostered in his Teens.

Sadly Lily passed away in the 60's and I know Jack was still living there in the 70's. I only know this because my Dad told me he did return to that address many years later. I think he had a brief chat with Jack but didn't get a lot of answers.
I guess the only person who would most likely still alive is Barbara Hutchinson ,Lily and Jacks daughter.  She got married so without knowing her married name it would be difficult to continue searching for her.
 It's just knowing where to start. Anyhow thank you for your advice , I shall look into the Nottingham archives though I am doubtful to find any family members still  living in that property. I guess my only hope is finding any elderly residents still living in 'waterway 'street that may remember the Hutchinson family from the 50's-70's.
Kind regards
Emily Hutchinson

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 05 April 15 22:19 BST (UK) »
Could you say when Barbara was born, approximately, so we have some idea of this family?

Also, have you got death years for Mary Lillian and/or Jack?

Thank-you

Added:
This death?
Mary L Hutchinson
Date of Registration:   Dec 1964    Age at Death:   48
Registration district:   Nottingham  Inferred County:   Nottinghamshire

Offline Emily Hutchinson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 05 April 15 22:32 BST (UK) »
Yes that would look about the right year for Lily's death certificate as she was quite young when she passed away. Barbara would have been born maybe early to mid 40's. Lily also had another son late 50's but I do not know if jack was the father.
Emily

Offline Emily Hutchinson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 05 April 15 22:35 BST (UK) »
Dad was born in 1950 Irwin Hutchinson . He said his mother died when he was in his early teens so that would be about right.
kind regards
 Emily