Author Topic: Help - John LEVIS  (Read 17377 times)

Offline fen lane

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help - John LEVIS
« Reply #54 on: Monday 29 March 10 21:58 BST (UK) »
dave   have   you   got  copys  of  the   census  1841    too  1901   regarding   your   search   the   levis   family

Offline dave192

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Monday 29 March 10 22:34 BST (UK) »
I did have until one of my children used it for drawing.

Dave

Offline fen lane

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Tuesday 30 March 10 11:20 BST (UK) »
john  send  me  your  address  and  i  will  send  you  what  i   have   dave

Offline amateur_genealogist

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Wednesday 07 April 21 16:13 BST (UK) »
hi Dave, did you ever get any further with your research on your line of Levises?

I've started a project to build family trees for all Leavis/Levis/Leaviss/Levice/etc. in the UK, starting with the public GRO records.

My own line can be traced back to William Leavis born about 1774 who married Ann Whinn in 1792 in Upwell, Norfolk. His father was 'William', a farmer. There's a William Levis, farmer, appearing in parish records in nearby Gedney Hill, Spalding at the end of the 18th century.

While researching your line, I found that Simon Levis b. 1850 and Ann Wright (again a 'Wright') had two daughters born in villages around Spalding, while their permanent residence seemed to be in Sawtry, Huntingdonshire. This Simon Levis is the son of Charles Levis b. 1817 in Sawtry, Huntingdonshire and Lydia Stapleton. I suppose there's a good chance Charles Levis is a brother of your ancestor Ruben Levis/Levice. (a family link between Ann Wright and Robert Wright would probably be a good indication, as well as the absence of any other Levis family in Sawtry other than John and Rachel's).
edit: I see that there are trees on Ancestry that state that Charles has been born (probably date of baptism) on 22 July 1816 in Sawtry, Huntingdonshire. Unfortunately my usual sources (Ancestry, FindMyPast, FamilySearch, FreeReg) don't show any Levis baptisms for Sawtry.

I wonder if the Spalding is a coincidence or if there might be a connection between our Leavis/Levis/Leves/Levice ancestors!

Like you, I heard stories of Huguenot ancestors; however, I suppose it was fashionable to claim Huguenot ancestors for a time which is what I believe is the likely origin of this claim.

However, I did do an Y-DNA test with FamilyTreeDNA and do have direct/indirect matches with descendants of the Pennsylvania Quaker Levis branch, so my branch definitely seems to come from the same Leicestershire branch. Hopefully more more male-line Levis descendants can do this test to help with figuring out how we all are related.
Leavis, Levis - specifically in the fenlands area: Witton, Wynn - specifically in the cambridge area: Elwood Ellwood Ellword Ellard Papworth Payne

Offline magslote

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Thursday 08 April 21 07:11 BST (UK) »
There where 3 sawtry parishes, all saints, st andrews, and st judiths.Checked
all saints, LEVIES, bapts lewis elizabeth, daughter of joseph/sarah.
Margaret.

Offline twywell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Saturday 10 April 21 13:02 BST (UK) »
Dear All
Interested to see this old thread being resurrected! 
Rachel LEVIS (b. 1851) is my GG Grandmother. 
Still at a brick wall for the birth/baptism of John LEVIS (choose your own spelling...!) b. c. 1784.  The Stanion link is interesting, but also Leicestershire is close enough to be a strong possibility too. 
John LAVESS married Rachel SOUTHWELL at Sawtry All Saints, I have traced the SOUTHWELL family back into the 1700s still in Sawtry.
Very interested in any LEVIS etc information.
Thanks to everyone for your past contributions on this thread, it definitely helped me to make progress!

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Saturday 10 April 21 16:55 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Here's what I've got on the family of John Levis and Rachel Southwell so far (on top of what has already been mentioned in this thread up to this point):

- There's a Charles Levis born Abt. 1817 Sawtry Huntingdonshire, who married Lydia Stapleton in 1837 and had a family with many descendants. I cannot find the link between Charles Levis and the suspected parents John & Rachel (baptism?), so I ordered (and am waiting for arrival of) the marriage cert from the GRO to find their names. Notably his son Simon Levis b. 1850 Sawtry Huntingdonshire marries an 'Ann Wright' born 1847 Woodwalton Huntingdonshire, and has many children two of which have been registered with GRO and baptized around Spalding, Lincolnshire: Mary Elizabeth Levis b. 1875 in Gosberton, Lincolnshire and Minnie Levis b. 1877 in Holbeach, Lincolnshire. Both baptized 1877 in Holbeach. I suspect my own Levis ancestors have links with Gedney Hill, near Holbeach (insufficient records to prove anything so far). This raises the questions: What's the link of Simon Levis and Ann Wright with the villages around Spalding? Is Ann Wright related to Robert Wright (who married Rachel Southwell after the death of John Levis)?

- son John Levis b. Abt. 1822 Sawtry Huntingdonshire is single on the 1841 census and widower on the 1851 census. GRO records show potential related entries for a Phoebe Levis b. 1846 mother maiden name FINEDON, d. 1849, Phoebe Levis b. Abt. 1808 d. 1848 and Eliza Lewis b. Abt 1818 d. 1847 ; Assuming Phoebe who died in 1848 is the mother, it this means she was 14 year older than John. Not likely, but still possible. I have been unable to find a marriage record (parish or GRO) for a 'FINEDON' or 'FINDON' marrying a 'Levis'. Next step would be ordering the GRO birth/death records of these people to find out more.

- No trace of assumed son William Levis, other than the criminal records of his punishments (previously mentioned in this thread) and the link with Robert Wright

- son Thomas Levis, born Abt. 1808 reports to come from Stanion, Northamptonshire. Does this mean that one of his parents had family living there? In case John Levis b. Abt. 1784 is from Stanion, then he could be the child of Aaron John Levis and Elizabeth Weekly/Weekley who got married in Wadenhoe in 1781 (about 8 miles from Stanion). Finding a baptism record for John 1784 would be essential to go with this assumption.

- to add to this complexity, there's also a John Levis b. Abt. 1783 who claims to come from Northamptonshire on the 1851 census, living with his family on 10 Wolverly street, Bethnal Green (London). His descendants have a history of going in and out of workhouses in London, and there are many stories to read (have not read through all of them yet). Perhaps there's something more concrete in these stories about where they hail from, or maybe there's a marriage record with more details.

I'll look into the GRO records, unfortunately I'm not much good on baptism records if they're not on Ancestry/FamilySearch/FreeReg
Leavis, Levis - specifically in the fenlands area: Witton, Wynn - specifically in the cambridge area: Elwood Ellwood Ellword Ellard Papworth Payne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Friday 21 May 21 19:47 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Here's what I've got on the family of John Levis and Rachel Southwell so far (on top of what has already been mentioned in this thread up to this point):

- There's a Charles Levis born Abt. 1817 Sawtry Huntingdonshire, who married Lydia Stapleton in 1837 and had a family with many descendants. I cannot find the link between Charles Levis and the suspected parents John & Rachel (baptism?), so I ordered (and am waiting for arrival of) the marriage cert from the GRO to find their names.

finally got the GRO marriage cert of Charles Levies and Lydia Stapleton married in All Saints, Sawtry, Huntingdonshire 6 November 1837.

It mentions that Charles, age 21, is the son of John Levies, labourer. Lydia, age 21, the daughter of Thomas Stapleton, labourer. Witnessed by William Owen and Sarah Stapleton. Bride, groom and both witnesses all sign with a cross before their name.

Offline magslote

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Saturday 22 May 21 07:43 BST (UK) »
LEVIES, check LEWIS
burials at all saints sawtry.
11.3.1887.charles levies, of st andews, aged 70.
also15.2.1816, charles levis of st andrews, 3years/6months.
margaret.