Author Topic: Halpins of Co. Wicklow, Portarlington and Dublin City - Part 2  (Read 90445 times)

Offline Shanachai

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Halpins of Wicklow County, Portarlington County Laois, and Dublin City.
« Reply #297 on: Wednesday 18 August 10 13:03 BST (UK) »

I mentioned my doubts about the likelihood of informative obituaries in the Dublin Evening Mail, and had them confirmed when I examined that paper recently for information on any of the Halpins mentioned in Bill's post on Tuesday, Aug. 10.  These are all I found, and typical of most deaths notices:

Death: July 3, after a long and painful illness, Elizabeth, wife of George Halpin, Esq., deeply and sincerely regretted.  - (DEM, Fri. July 5 1850).

Death of G. Halpin, Esq. - We regret to have to announce the death of G. Halpin, Esq., Inspector of Irish Lighthouses.  Mr. Halpin died at his residence in Dublin on Saturday morning.  - (DEM, July 25 1854).

Also, I recorded the death of George W Halpin a while back, but neglected to source it:

Death: Halpin.  On the 5th July at Buenos Aires, George W Halpin, son of the late Robert C Halpin, of Belsize, London, Chaplain to the Forces in England, aged 73.  Relations please communicate with Kieth and co., Edinburgh.  - (The Times, Saturday August 5 1922).

Quite by accident I stumbled across the death notice of Druitt Halpin, son of Charles Halpin, MD, of Cavan, and a distinguished Engineer and writer (of technical papers):

Death: Halpin - On the 27 Feb., at 45 Harvard Road, Gunnersbury, W., after a long illness, Druitt Halpin, M. Inst. C.E., M.I. Mech. E., deeply lamented.  - (The Times, Wednesday March 1, 1922).

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Halpins of Co. Wicklow, Portarlington and Dublin City - Part 2
« Reply #298 on: Wednesday 18 August 10 13:12 BST (UK) »
Lots more details posted here but the thread has reached 20 pages so I'm going to lock it now. If another thread is needed please let me know and I'll post the link here for you.

Link to new thread  - Halpin of Co. Wicklow - Part 3
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!