Author Topic: Thomastown CO Kilkenny Ireland  (Read 54252 times)

Offline jlibby

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomastown CO Kilkenny Ireland
« Reply #45 on: Wednesday 25 April 12 02:26 BST (UK) »
Hi; This is my first message on this website.
Very interested in the Cassin from Thomastown also.

Margaret (Maggie) Cassin baptismal record 12/18/1862 Shortalstown, Dunnamaggin, Kilkenny
  parents: Richard Cassin and Catherine Barry married 2/13/1862 Shortalstown, Dunnammaggin

Maggie and brother John Cassin (b: 22 April 1864) Kilmaganny, Kilkenny immigrated to the US in 1882/1883- family story is that Maggie father Richard was the head serf at Castle Kilkenny and that Butler family paid for her passage.

children of Richard and Catherine Barry;
Margaret b: 1862/1863 (death record 12/24/1862 in US)
John b: 1864 (US)
Elizabeth Cassin b Mar 26 1866 Kilmoganny, Kilkenny
Patrick Cassin b Mar 8 1868  Kilmoganny, Kilkenny
Michael cassin b Sept 16, 1872 Kilmoganny, Kilkenny
Edward cassin b Sept 30, 1874 Knocktopher, Thomastown, Kilkenny

1. death or cemetery record for reminding family
2. how could I find out the head serf at castle Kilkenny?

Thank you :)

Offline Jaznjjj

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Wednesday 30 January 13 07:28 GMT (UK) »
Hello, I tried a Google search to try to locate the dwelling of an ancestor in Thomastown.  I wanted to do a Google street search and see what was there.  The Google search showed the general location but was not able to zero in on numbers.  My ancestor was Michael Hudson who in 1850 was at 40
Chapel Lane, Thomastown and had a garden at 24 Maudlin Street, Thomastown.  Is anyone able to help me with landmarks that I might use with Google streetsearch please?  I am trying to get an understanding of the locality.  Michael and his family came to Australia in 1855.  I have had help from people on this site previously, particularly regarding the voyage of members of the Hudson and Foley families on the Gloriana and the Ramillies.  Jennifer

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Wednesday 30 January 13 08:13 GMT (UK) »
Hello, I tried a Google search to try to locate the dwelling of an ancestor in Thomastown.  I wanted to do a Google street search and see what was there.  The Google search showed the general location but was not able to zero in on numbers.  My ancestor was Michael Hudson who in 1850 was at 40
Chapel Lane, Thomastown and had a garden at 24 Maudlin Street, Thomastown.  Is anyone able to help me with landmarks that I might use with Google streetsearch please? 

the numbers on Griffith's are site numbers rather then modern street numbers. Sometimes in urban areas these have been retained as street numbers but in many cases have changed over the years. The position of each site at the time it was surveyed was indicated on the original maps. Slightly later maps showing the site numbers are available on the Griffith's data on the AskAboutIreland website - see : Griffith's Valuation

Chapel street where Michael is listed, is still there in Thomastown but doesn't have very many residences on it any more. see : Chapel Lane, Thomastown  Based on the older maps, most of the houses were at the western end of the street on the northern side - possibly in a terrace, about where the parking bay is now.

Maudin street joins Chapel Lane and runs north.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Jaznjjj

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Wednesday 30 January 13 08:35 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks Shane, I obviously have some leads to follow up.  It looks like a pretty place!  Jennifer

Offline athcarne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Monday 27 May 13 22:27 BST (UK) »
Dear Biggles

I have witnessed record of my relative Martin Kirwan as baptised in the RC church in Thomastown in 1796.
His father was shown as Millis which I presume was Camillus and Mother Mary from Daingean, Thomastown.
Martin went to work as a carpenter in Arva Co.Cavan in 1820 and is shown in the 1841 census in Killeshranda living in Arva.he married into the
If you can help me in any way to I'd be most grateful......Tony

If anyone requires any help with look up of family history or the towns history of Thomastown please do'nt be afraid to ask and i will be happy to help.Also please feel free to add photos of the town.
[/quote]

Offline KathyJ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Monday 09 December 13 19:49 GMT (UK) »
Hello and I am trying to find information on Michael Sullivan.  He emigrated to Newfoundland at some point in time and married Mary McDaniel in St. John's Newfoundland in 1814.  On the parish marriage register it states he is from Thomastown, Kilkenny, Ireland.   I have no other information at this point.   Thank you for any help or suggestions where I could research.    Thanks.

Offline KathyJ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Sunday 15 December 13 22:14 GMT (UK) »
Hello, Biggles and further to my last posting, I have a bit more information about my Sullivan McDaniel families and I am wondering if you could possibly point me to areas where I could further research my ancestors in County Kilkenny.   I can't do in-person research as I live in Canada.   What I have so far is:

My Sullivan family has their roots in Newfoundland and last week after several years of searching I found the marriage record that traces my ancestry back to Ireland:

Parish records, St. John’s, Newfoundland, Catholic Basilica of Saint John the Baptist:

April 30, 1814

Married:  Michael Sullivan of the parish of Thomastown, County of Kilkenny to Mary McDaniel of Knocktopher , Ireland.  Present: David Bolton and Mary Connelly.

Having found that information I was then able to find the immigration record for Michael Sullivan.   I was fortunate enough to find that he came across on a ship that was infamous, the Schooner Fanny.   The captain of that schooner was put on trial because of the horrendous conditions and the list of surviving passengers were part of the court records.   The article was in the Kilkenny Review and was by Cyril J. Byrne.   

Mick Sullivan, birth year about 1788, age 23, arrived in St. John’s Newfoundland in 1811 aboard the Schooner Fanny.

From that information I found possible birth certificates for Michael Sullivan and Mary McDaniel and then a possible marriage certificate for Daniel Sullivan and Bridget Costello dated 1787.

Two books that may be helpful to further my research are:

The Sullivans:  A Notable 19th Century Kilkenny Family by Peter Smithwick (reviewed in the Old Kilkenny Review XVI (1954) 23 – 32)

1797 Chief Catholic Inhabitants, Parishes of Graiguenamanach and Knocktopher (1a 1978)

If you could provide any sites where I may find further information about my Thomastown and Knocktopher ancestors or even where I could access copies of the two books above, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks.

Offline athcarne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Thomastown CO Kilkenny Ireland
« Reply #52 on: Sunday 29 December 13 07:57 GMT (UK) »

Dear Biggles :)

The PP inThomastown showed me the Baptism record for my relative Martin Kirwan, baptised 1796.
Martin's father was shown as Millis which I presume was Camillus and Mother Mary from Daingean, Thomastown. Martin went to work as a carpenter in Arva Co.Cavan he is shown in the 1841 census in Killeshranda living in Arva.He married Catherine..?? in 1820 in Arva.
I would be grateful for any information or direction to trace Kirwans in Thomastown......Tony

If anyone requires any help with look up of family history or the towns history of Thomastown please do'nt be afraid to ask and i will be happy to help.Also please feel free to add photos of the town.
[/quote]
[/quote]

Offline Had

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Monday 18 August 14 10:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Biggles, I'm wondering if I can take up your offer of doing look-ups in Thomastown.  I'm searching for my ggg grandfather CHARLES GORE.  I've just found this entry for a Charles Gore who died in Thomas town
 Event Type: Death 
 Event Date: 1873 
 Event Place: Thomastown, Ireland 
 Registration Quarter and Year: 1873 
 Registration District: Thomastown 
 Birth Year (Estimated): 1792 
 Volume Number: 9 
 Page Number: 656

The dates work out about right and I'm hoping that there may be some more information on the certificate that will either confirm or discount him as 'my' Charles. 
Thank you for your help
Regards Heather