Author Topic: Thomastown CO Kilkenny Ireland  (Read 54383 times)

Offline ashenique

• RootsChat Member
  • Still searching
    • View Profile
Re: Thomastown CO Kilkenny Ireland
« Reply #54 on: Sunday 03 May 15 09:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Biggles - just wondering if you are still active.
I visited Thomastown in 2005, found a gentlemen around the Catholic Cemetery and he told me I had just missed the PP at the time.

My ancestors where from Thomastown / Deansrath - James Burns married Margaret Cummins, 22 Nov 1824, Thomastown, witnesses: John Headen & Mary Tobin. They had three children William, Francis and Mary.
William bapt 20 Jun 1827, sp. Edmund Nurry & Anastatia Aylward, residence Deansrath
Francis bapt 2 Sep 1829, sp. James Laracy & Mary Wall, residence Deansrath
Mary bapt 6 May 1832, sp. James Wall & Judith Larrissy, residence Deansrath

Margaret and Francis emigrated in 1855. Arrived in South Australia and settled originally around Clare.

Family history - passed down from Francis to his grandchildren (my g aunts/uncles) - says that James was a Doctor, and that he, William and Mary all died sometime prior to departure. Margaret became a large landowner in SA, very uncommon for females, so she must have had some money behind her, hence/maybe supporting Dr story??; Francis worked the land for her - and together they increased the land holding. Side story - when building the Catholic Church in a new settled area - Francis was granted permission and chose the name St Canices.

I am wondering whether you can help me to ascertain any information on the names Burns/Cummins - how common are/were they in the area?
Do records of Doctors exist?
Burials at the time - does Deansrath have a Cemetery?

Any help would be appreciated no matter how small.
Thanks
Shane

Offline conahy calling

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Sunday 03 May 15 11:10 BST (UK) »
http://www.irishtimes.com/ancestor/

This link gives info on distribution of surnames based on Griffiths Valuation taken mid 1800s.  Just enter surname in box and click "Go".

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01f8w

2nd link is for Tithe applotments Deansrath, Knocktopher Parish.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01f8x/      Grave photos Knocktopher (unfortunately a lot of them are illegible in the photos)

Offline conahy calling

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile

Offline knick

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Saturday 20 August 16 19:02 BST (UK) »
I am looking for distant relatives with the surname "Cody" and "Archdeacon/Archdekin" in Thomastown.  My 6th Great-grandmother was Eleanor Agnes Archdeacon Cody (1718-1787) who came to the U.S. around 1750.  I have seen several spellings of the surname Cody.  Any assistance you may be able to provide will be greatly appreciated.

Offline dublin1850

• RootsChat Veteran
  • A great lover of Dublin history
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Wednesday 05 July 17 09:19 BST (UK) »
Have an ancestor William McKeon (CofI) born 1812 who served in the RIC in Kilkenny all his career. He enlisted in Sligo.

I can find records of two of his children's deaths in 1871 in Powerstown, Graigue, but no sign of his wife's death (I believe she was Mary Prescott) or any children who survived, other than my gg grandmother Catherine, who was baptised in Fertagh (Johnstown).

I know there must be other children as some people describing themselves as 'the McKeons from Waterford (it may have been Wexford)' showed up at a family funeral in the 1990s but were gone before anyone spoke to them at any length. I know William served in Thomastown at some stage, but was in a number of the rural Kilkenny RIC stations.

They were fairly fluid on the old religion thing.
Coffey, Cummins [Rathfalla, Tipperary], Cummins [Skirke, Laois], Curran, Dillon [Clare], Fogarty [Garran, Laois/Tipp], Hughes, Keshan (Keeshan), Loughman [Harristown and Killadooley, Laois], Mallon [Armagh], Malone, Markham [Caherkine, Clare], McKeon(e) [Sligo/Kilkenny/Waterford], McNamara, Meagher, Prescott [Kilkenny/Waterford/Wexford?], Rafferty, Ryan, Sullivan, Tobin
GEDMatch: T665306 tested with Family Tree DNA and also with ancestry
GEDCOM file: 1980344