Author Topic: Memorial Inscriptions  (Read 33716 times)

Offline brina

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Memorial Inscriptions
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 31 March 10 10:08 BST (UK) »
Please note that when I copied the following inscription I put Walter when in fact it should read Adam.

Walter Adam Fairley late gardener Macbiehill 8.1.1820 52, w Janet Harper d ? aged 77, da Jean inf, s Wm late teacher Tweedsmuir d 19.3.1830 33

Apologies.

Brina ;)

Offline jenimac

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 21 May 10 08:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Brina,
I am not sure if this is an impossible request but I have been trying to trace my ancestors' parents, James Scott and Jane Ogilvie.  Robert Ogilvie Scott, their son, was born abt 1800 and I was told his parents both died young and the children were raised by his mother's sisters (Ogilvie) in the Peebles area.   He came to South Africa in 1820-ish so I am assuming both his parents died between 1800-1815-ish.  I have no idea how many Scotts and Ogilvies are listed in the book but if not too many, Iwould really appreciate if you could check them for me.  I am also not 100% sure of their forenames so if you see any married couples dying within that period, I would be FOREVER in your debt  :D

thanks
Jenny

Offline brina

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 21 May 10 11:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Jenny,

I have had a good look though the information and regret to say that I cannot see a couple with these names.   I discounted the first names just in case they were wrong.   Do you think that Ogilvie was definitely the mother's maiden name?   There were absolutely no Ogilvie's listed at all.   A number of Scott's but nothing seemed to match.

I am so sorry.   I presume that you have tried Scotland's people.

If you find any more information then I am happy to look again.

Brina ???

Offline jenimac

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 21 May 10 13:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Brina,
Thanks so much for taking the time to look - much appreciated.  My great uncle mentioned Peebles and Roxburgh and said the South African farm, Mount Pleasant was named after the family house/farm which I am assuming was somewhere in that area. 
As I have never been to the border region of Scotland, I am not sure if these places were too far apart or just around the corner from each other.  It is SO tantalising as I have found a farm house called 'Mount Pleasant, on the road between Duns and Swinton on Google Earth and I am just hoping that in the future, there is some way I might be able to find previous tenants of the house.

I have managed to find only one marriage for Scott/Ogilvie at Scotland's people, James Scott/Beatrix Ogilvie and that was in Ashkirk, Selkirk and they had a son Robert Ogilvie Scott so I am persuing that at the moment.

Thanks once again  :)
Jenny

Offline brina

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 21 May 10 21:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Jenny,

Just to let you know that when I did a brief search on Scotlandspeople without spending any credits I did notice that there were a number of Ogilvie's in Roxburghshire.   Travelling by car from Peebles to Duns would take about 1 hour and it is about 46 miles on not terribly good roads so that should give you an idea of distance.

However the Ashkirk family sounds promising and that is not too far from Peebles (26 miles) so I will be very interested to hear if you find out anything else.

I will let you know if I unearth anything else.   Good luck.

Brina :)

Offline brina

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 21 May 10 21:39 BST (UK) »
Jenny, you have maybe looked at Family Search I don't know but I have just had a quick look and see this Robert Ogilvey Scott was born at Ashkirk in 1804 and the parents Beatrix Ogilvey and James Scott were married at Cavers in Roxburghshire in 1800.   

Do you know the names of any other children?

Brina

Offline brina

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 21 May 10 21:49 BST (UK) »
Had another look on Familysearch IGI and found Robert Ogilvey Scott christened 26 March 1804, Thomas christened 27 June 1801, Janet christened 2 November 1801 and William (born) 7 August 1806 - all Ashkirk and all to James Scott and Beatrix Ogilvy.   Do any of the other childrens names match to any you know?   If so this might be the family you are looking for.

Brina

Offline jenimac

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 22 May 10 16:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Brina,
thanks for all the lookups.  Unfortunately I don't know the names of his siblings but his Children included a James, Robert, Thomas, and Jane. 3 others named from their South African mother's side.  I am so tempted by this family but I cannot find any descendants named Beatrix and if one follows the naming patterns, their 2nd daughter should be Beatrix and not Jane Margaret.  a tad frustrating but I am hoping one day I will have a breakthrough

regards Jenny

Offline JuliaP

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 07 January 12 02:49 GMT (UK) »
Dear Brina,

Just wondering if you have any record of the following graves in Peebleshire

Firsttly I think in Eddlestone any reference to a James Walker who I think would be born around 1780 and his wife Kathrine or Cathrine Watson

Also either there or in Peebles either a Janet Walker, wife of John Stevenson she was born 23 July 1802 , John Stevenson her husband born around that time  and their 2 sons Robert [born 1822] and James [1824]

Thanks so much

Julia
New Zealand ???