Author Topic: Memorial Inscriptions  (Read 33715 times)

Offline mrs a

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Memorial Inscriptions
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday 17 March 21 19:32 GMT (UK) »
Had a wander around the graveyard today and found an old Carrick headstone. Pretty illegible due to erosion but quite a substantial headstone. Could make out John Carrick died aged 89 years , and sadly also a 10 year old child. There appears to be quite a list of names but difficult to read. Took a photo on my phone but maybe could get a better one on my camera. If this sounds like your family, I shall go back with my camera, it’s very near me so no trouble
Fawcett, Currie, Hutton, Bauchope, Rankine, Main,Gilmour,Campbell,Tervit,Walker,Frame,Rooney, Finnie,Rea,Noble,Alexander
West Lothian, Lanarkshire, Stirlingshire, Fife,Midlothian

Offline anabanana

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday 17 March 21 19:51 GMT (UK) »
Oh Mrs A! Thank you so much, that’s so kind of you. Definitely the family I’d say. Were you able to make out any dates/years at all? The head of the family was a John Carrick, I don’t know when he died though. There’s a death of a John in 1811 in nearby Culter but last known address of our John is Harestanes? And before that Bryland. He’s in the kirk sessions having been appointed an elder in the 1790s. Thanks again, I really appreciate it.

Offline mrs a

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday 17 March 21 20:16 GMT (UK) »
Do you have date of birth for John Carrick?
Harestones is also at Kirkurd
https://www.ancient-stones.co.uk/borders/011/020/details.htm
Fawcett, Currie, Hutton, Bauchope, Rankine, Main,Gilmour,Campbell,Tervit,Walker,Frame,Rooney, Finnie,Rea,Noble,Alexander
West Lothian, Lanarkshire, Stirlingshire, Fife,Midlothian

Offline anabanana

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday 17 March 21 20:36 GMT (UK) »
I reckon about 1740 - 50s. He married Euphemia Barclay in 1777. His residence at the time was Kilbucho, and hers Culter. Thank you for the link  :)