Author Topic: Jones - St Harmon, Radnorshire  (Read 6416 times)

Offline JMM38

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Jones - St Harmon, Radnorshire
« on: Saturday 27 February 10 11:24 GMT (UK) »
Could someone please advise how I can search for records of my Jones ancestors from St. Harmon.

Utilising the various census records from 1841-1891, my family tree is as follows:

Hugh Jones (b. 1805-1810, St Harmon) m. Elenor Rice (b. 1808, Nantmel)
c. 1. Hugh Jones (b. 1831, St. Harmon)
    2. David Jones (b. 1835, St. Harmon)
   3. Thomas Jones (b. 1837, St. Harmon)
   4. Evan Jones (b. 1838, St. Harmon) m. Mary (b. 1840, St Harmon) [their children, Mary Eleanor (b. 1867, St Harmon), Evan (b. 1870, St. Harmon), William (b. 1873, St. Harmon), David (b. 1875, St. Harmon), Elizabeth (b. 1880, St. Harmon), Thomas (b. 1883, St. Harmon).
   5. Eleanor Jones (b. 1840, St. Harmon)
   6. Anne Jones (b. 1843, St. Harmon), children: Hugh (b. 1864, St. Harmon), Ellen Jane (aka. Eleanor) (b. 1875, St. Harmon).
   7. Mary Jones (b. 1852, St. Harmon).

Ideally, I would like to find any church records relating to the family.  However, not being in Wales, I am unsure where to start.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Melissa

Offline alltcafan

• RootsChat Member
  • sun setting in Powys
    • View Profile
Re: Jones - St Harmon, Radnorshire
« Reply #1 on: Friday 19 March 10 19:13 GMT (UK) »
Dear Melissa,

You could try contacting the Powys Archives which the St Harmon's area comes under and they will be able to tell you if they have any records for that area.  They do do look-ups but at a cost.  They are open to the public Tue - Thurs 10.00 - 12.30 and 1.30 - 5.00;  Friday same as previous except close at 4.00p.m.  If you intend to visit, you will have to book. 
Contact details are as follows:
The Powys Archives, County Hall, Llandrindod Wells, Powys LD1 5LG
Telephone 01597 826088
e.mail: archives@powys.gov.uk

I'm sure they will be able to help with your query, even if they don't hold the records they should be able to tell you who does.

Regards, Alltcafan  :)
EVANS/ JONES / JAMES / REES - Llangeler, Penboyr, Llanfihangel ar Arth, Burry Port & South Wales
STEPHENS - Llangeler, Penboyr & Neath
DAVIES / REES / JONES - Kilrhedyn, Newcastle Emlyn

Offline Br1gau

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Jones - St Harmon, Radnorshire
« Reply #2 on: Monday 05 July 10 22:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Melissa,

Have only just noticed your post.  The National Library of Wales in Aberystwyth have a searchable online index for marriage bonds and wills.

http://www.llgc.org.uk/index.php?id=245

If the link doesn't work, google NLW, go to Family History and then Search Archival Databases. It's a bottomless pit!

Let me know if there's a specific transcript you're wanting as I go to the NLW frequently.

brigau