Author Topic: Gordon Murray married to Ann Dempster  (Read 14799 times)

Offline kim826

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Gordon Murray married to Ann Dempster
« on: Saturday 27 February 10 20:46 GMT (UK) »
I have a brick wall situation going on.  I am looking for birth information (as well as parents information) for Gordon Murray (may be McMurray) born around 1805 and Ann Dempster born around 1808.  I was told that Gordon was from Ayr, but someone found a census record stating that he was from Sanquhar, Dumfressh, Kirkcudbrightshire and Ann was from Durisdeer, Dumfries.  I was also told that they were married in 1826 in Durisdan, Dumfries.  I searched at the paid Scotland people site and found absolutely nothing.  They had a number of children - the one in the lineage I am researching is John.  Supposedly born May 30, 1844.  Again I can't find a birth record for him on the paid site.  The family emigrated to Bruce Mines, St. Joseph Island, Ontario, Canada and then settled in Negaunee, Michigan.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!  Thank you for looking at this request - Kim

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Gordon Murray married to Ann Dempster
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 27 February 10 21:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kim

There is this possible children's birth entry showing for them on IGI at www.familysearch.org. It is an actual extract from the Old Parish Registers so should show on Scotlands People:

AGNES MURRAY Birth:02 OCT 1826 Durrisdeer, Dumfries, Scotland
Parents: GORDON MURRAY and ANN DEMPSTER

There is also a member submitted entry on IGI for another son:

Alexander McMurray Birth: 28 OCT 1843 Sanquhar, Dumfries

There is also a submitted entry on IGI for their marriage in 1826 in Durrisdeer - but bear in mind that this is a submitted entry and may just be assuming a marriage year based on the birth of daughter Agnes above.

Have you found them on any of the early censuses?

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 27 February 10 21:31 GMT (UK) »
This must be the census entry you are referring to that someone gave you details of:

Gordon Murray 45, miners lab., b. Sanquhar, Dumfressh
Anne Murray 42 b. Durisdeer, Dumfressh
Agnes Murray 24
James Murray 23
Robert Murray 21
Grace Murray 19
Gordon Murray 12
Alexander Murray 8
John Murray 6
William Murray 3

Address: Bouls Row 1, Woodhead Lead Mine, Carsphairn, Kirkcudbrightshire

And likely entry for the family in 1841, with McMurray - everyone showing as born in the County of Dumfriesshire:

Gordon McMurray 33, agri. lab
Ann McMurray 31
Agnes McMurray 14
James McMurray 13
Robert McMurray 11
Grace McMurray 7
Janet McMurray 5
Gordon McMurray 2
John McMurray 6 Months

Address: Newtown Of Sanguhar, Dumfriesshire

Monica

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kim826

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 27 February 10 21:57 GMT (UK) »
Yes, those are the census' I found.  What I can't find are records of Gordon and Ann's birth as well as their parents.  Hence - the brick wall!  Thanks - Kim

Offline KirstyG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 01 March 10 01:49 GMT (UK) »
There are 2 results for Statutory Death of Ann Murray other name Dempster, one 1914, other 1915. Did you look at those when you searched SP? They should have her age and parent's names.

Kirsty

edit: I've just reread and see that they moved to Canada. Ignore me!
Galloway,   Landers,   Lindsay,  Gillespie,  Irvine
Erskine,   McAdam,  Hawthorn
Robertson,   Duncan,   Edmonstone,    Black
Anderson,  Nicholson,  Crombie,  MacDonald
Arch, Herbert, Charlesworth, Chapman

Offline kim826

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 01 March 10 02:03 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for trying to help :)  Gordon and Ann died in Michigan, but their death records don't list any parents.  It's frustrating!  Kim

Offline kim826

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 01 March 10 02:05 GMT (UK) »
I should also note that I found birth records for Robert, William and Agnes on the Scotland people site.  No birth or marriage record for Gordon Murray (McMurray) and Ann Dempster or birth records.

Offline sasa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 05 May 10 17:58 BST (UK) »
This is my family. Gordon Murray b. ~1805 Sanguhar Dumfries m. 1826 Anne Dempster b ~1807 Durisdeer, Dumfries. They emigrated to Bruce Mines Canada ~1855. They are listed on Bruce Mines Algoma dist Can 1861 census. Their children were Agnes, 2 Oct 1826 Durisdeer, James 22 Mar 1828 Durisdeer m Ann Ferguson 1824 on 5 Oct 1851 Glencairn, Robert 28 Feb 1830 m 1863 Bruce Mines Ontario Can to Mary McIntyre, Grace b 1832 Penpont, Janet 1836 Sanguhar, Capt Gordon 1839 m1 Elizabeth Coatsworth in 1862 and m2 to Mary McKenzie Mar 1874, John 30 May1844 Newtown of Sanguhar KBT, widowed by 1880 lived in Lead City Lawrence Dakota territory , William 18 May 1847 Carsphairn KBT m1. Elisabeth Wylie m2 Wilhelmina Trethaway, Alexander 28 Oct 1843 m Ann McLeod in 1868 Algoma Dist Bruce Mines. Alexander was killed in a mine accident 1880 Schoolcraft Houghton MI, Thomas 3 Nov 1845 and another John 1840 Sanguhar.Gordon and Ann both died in 1873 and are burried in Neguanee Marquette MI. Gordon is in 1841 census referred to as McMurray. Robert is my gr grandfather. They were lead miners in Scotland, Copper miners in Canada and Iron Ore miners in up Michigan and northern Minnesota.  And beyond Gordon Murray I am into the same brick wall. Perhaps he was really Alexander Gordon or James Gordon or Robert Gordon?? They were first settlers and farmed on St Joseph Island Can. There were three Gordon Murray's in Scotland all born within an 8 yr timeframe, one went to the Bahamas, one to Australia and mine to Canada and MI and MN. could they all be related???

Offline kim826

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 05 May 10 18:28 BST (UK) »
Good to hear from you.  Where are you located?  I am working on this tree for my friend, Guy Murray.  He comes from the John/Ellen Wylie line, John son of Gordon.  We are located in Upper Michigan.  My direct email is (*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php