Author Topic: Gordon Murray married to Ann Dempster  (Read 14830 times)

Offline myfamily1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Gordon Murray married to Ann Dempster
« Reply #9 on: Friday 23 April 21 03:55 BST (UK) »
This is my family as well. Janet (known as Jennie) Murray married John McLain from Scotland and they emigrated to Pennsylvania, whereas her parents Gordon Murray and Ann Dempster Murray lived in Michigan. Janet (Jennie) Murray McLain was my great great grandmother.

Offline myfamily1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 23 April 21 04:03 BST (UK) »
Also, these were the parents and grandparents for Gordon Murray:

Father: John Murray (1780-1874) born in Fyvie, Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Mother: Mary Davidson (1784-1850), born in Ruthwell, Dumfriesshire, Scotland.

Grandfather: Alexander Murray 1751-, from Keig, Aberdeenshire, Scotland.
Grandmother: Margaret Cleariehew 1756- , Keig, Aberdeenshire, Scotland.

Hope this helps. I have done extensive research on my family. :)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 23 April 21 17:44 BST (UK) »
Also, these were the parents and grandparents for Gordon Murray:
Father: John Murray (1780-1874) born in Fyvie, Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Mother: Mary Davidson (1784-1850), born in Ruthwell, Dumfriesshire, Scotland.
John Murray died in Fyvie in 1874 aged 92. He is in every census in Fyvie, and listed as born in Keig (not Fyvie), Aberdeenshire.

His wife Mary appears only in 1841, listed as born in Aberdeenshire,not Dumfries-shire, as were all their children who were at home for that census.

John Murray and Mary Davidson had at least 6 children, all born in Fyvie
William, born 1809/1810, no baptism record, probably the one who died in Fyvie in 1897
Ann, born 1812/1813, no baptism record, probably the one who died in Fyvie in 1886
Gordon, baptised 8 October 1815, probably died or emigrated before 1841
John, baptised 18 January 1818
Elizabeth, baptised 23 May 1819
Algernoon, baptised 3 June 1822, probably died before 1841

In spite of being listed in an 1841 census transcription as aged 77, Mary Davidson, wife of John Murray, was aged only 74 when she died in Fyvie in 1850. That, if accurate, means she was born in 1775/1776, and she was 46 or 47 when Algernoon was born, which is just possible, albeit pretty unusual.

Obviously this Gordon Murray cannot be the one who married Ann Dempster, because he would only have been 11 when their daughter Agnes was born.

Also the 1851 census is quite clear that your Gordon Murray was born in Sanquhar (it's not Sanguhar with a g in the middle), in Dumfries-shire, and his age is given as 41, meaning that he was born in 1809/1810. If both his age and the age of William Murray in Fyvie in 1861 are correct, they were born in the same year at opposite ends of the country.

The 1841 says that your Gordon was 33, which if accurate means he was born in 1807/1808, therefore his age in at least one census is inaccurate.

So there is quite a lot of evidence against your Gordon (Mc)Murray being the son of Alexander Murray and Margaret Clerihew. What evidence do you have to suggest that he is?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline dellanell

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 21 June 22 17:23 BST (UK) »
Pleased to see my own family on here. I can answer this easily. I have a family bible with birth records and information indicating that Gordon Murray is indeed the son of John Murray and Mary Davidson, and grandson of Andrew Murray and Margaret Clearihew. And yes, this is the Gordon Murray who was married to Ann Dempster and is the father of Jennie Murray McLain. My family records are extensive. Have a great day!

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 22 June 22 15:58 BST (UK) »
Agnes Murray was baptised on 2 October 1826 in Durisdeer. So she must have been conceived in December 1825 or January 1826.

Gordon Murray, son of John Murray and Mary Davidson in Fyvie, was baptised on 8 October 1815.

Do the arithmetic. When Agnes was conceived, Gordon was only ten (10) years old. He cannot possibly be the Gordon Murray who fathered Agnes.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 22 June 22 20:24 BST (UK) »
You are absolutely correct. Gordon Murray was born about 1805 in Sanquhar Dumfriesshire Scotland and I believe I read his name as Jardin or a french word meaning garden. It was faint on the tape and in my bucket list is a reminder to go back to the tape and look again. There were 3 Gordon Murray families in that area, one about 1805, one about 1815 and one in 1812, and of the last two, I believe the Sutherland was 1815 and Fyvie 1812 and they ended up in Jamaca. My Gordon ended up in Bruce mines, Algoma District Ontario Canada about 1855 and settled St Josephs Island. They were lead miners in Scotland, Copper miners in Canada and when they crossed into the USA in Upper Peninsula Michigan they were iron ore miners.

Posted in error to me.
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk