Author Topic: St Marnocks  (Read 3925 times)

Offline gordon5

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
St Marnocks
« on: Sunday 28 February 10 21:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I'm trying to find out what St Marnocks in Peebles was. Was it a large house, a boarding house or what? My wife's gg grandmother is listed as living there in the 1871, 1881 and 1891 censuses as a boarder, the head of household was a widow, occupation annuitant - she was living on an annuity.

Can anyone help please?

Many thanks

gordon5
Steadwood worldwide, Horsburgh, McBean (and variants), Pride, Ross, mostly in the Lothian and Borders area, Ingles and variants from Buckie, Wilson, Stoddart.

Offline excel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: St Marnocks
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 01 April 10 19:25 BST (UK) »
I have a 1906 map of Peebles but it doesn't give the names of the hotels. It sounds more like a boarding house she stayed in if the landlady was a widow and annuitant. I don't suppose it gives the name of the street? If you can give me more information eg name and age of your wife's g g grandmother and the name and wage of the widow I will see if I can find out.
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cline: Ireland and Berwick on Twieed
Collin: Eyemouth
Clyne: Ireland, Berwickshire, Northumberland
Barns, Barnes: Fife
Walker: Edinburgh & Stirling
Laing, Wilson, Forrest, Forrester, Colven, Rae, Cowe, Buglass, Johnson, Wilson, Thorburn, Darling, Broomfield, : Berwickshire
McRaw, Cameron, Taylor, Gould/Guild, McIntyre, Maxton, McDonald, Douglass : Perthshire
Cormack, Campbell, Sutherland, Doull: Caithness

Offline brina

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 13 April 10 13:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Gordon

What was your ggg grandmother's name.   I will have a look at the census returns for Peebles to see if I can figure out whee St.Marnock's was.

Brina :)

Offline brina

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 14 April 10 10:06 BST (UK) »
Hello again,

I have found St. Marnock's and it is indeed in Peebles in an area called Frankscroft.   It looks a fairly substantial house but is not huge.   Regret I do not know the number of rooms as I do not know the people who live in it/   There is a date above the front door of 1878.

Hope some of this helps.

Brina :)

Offline excel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 14 April 10 19:37 BST (UK) »
As the owner was a widow perhaps she kept the large house going by taking in a boarder. You will find the house if you look at google street view and put in St Marnocks, Frankscroft, Peebles.
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cline: Ireland and Berwick on Twieed
Collin: Eyemouth
Clyne: Ireland, Berwickshire, Northumberland
Barns, Barnes: Fife
Walker: Edinburgh & Stirling
Laing, Wilson, Forrest, Forrester, Colven, Rae, Cowe, Buglass, Johnson, Wilson, Thorburn, Darling, Broomfield, : Berwickshire
McRaw, Cameron, Taylor, Gould/Guild, McIntyre, Maxton, McDonald, Douglass : Perthshire
Cormack, Campbell, Sutherland, Doull: Caithness

Offline gordon5

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 14 April 10 20:12 BST (UK) »
Thanks to everyone for their help. Useful as always!!
Steadwood worldwide, Horsburgh, McBean (and variants), Pride, Ross, mostly in the Lothian and Borders area, Ingles and variants from Buckie, Wilson, Stoddart.