Author Topic: Jemimah Love - Reading or Windsor?  (Read 2468 times)

Offline Cerivolk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Jemimah Love - Reading or Windsor?
« on: Monday 01 March 10 13:30 GMT (UK) »
I have a Jemima Love born about 1812. In 1837 she married Henry Harris (registered Chertsey, Surrey). The 1851 and 1861 censuses give her place of birth as Windsor, Berkshire. The marriage certificate gives her father's name as William Love.

My problem is that the only likely match for her birth is the Christening of Jemima Love on 12 October 1812, in Arborfield, Berkshire. Father William, mother Sally.

This is not the most common name, and I am tempted to think this is the right Jemima. But I would have expected her to give her place of birth in the censuses as Reading, if she was going to give a major town.

I would like to connect her to the Love family based around Burghfield... Maybe William Tiggall Love Christened there in 1785 is her father? Is anyone researching the name Love in Berkshire, and could throw any light on this?

Thanks

Paul
Cowling, Yorkshire - Smith, Hoyle, Stephenson, Watson, Whitaker, Binns, Sharp, Tempest, Bannister, Wilkinson
Lancashire - Wilkinson, Binns, Hoyle
London - Denton, Marston
Surrey - Harris
Kent - Davis, Stevens, March, Hatton
Warwickshire - Touhey, Hendren, Townsend, Middlemore
Cambridgeshire - Dellar
Berkshire - Love

Offline Paco

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Jemimah Love - Reading or Windsor?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 01 March 10 15:34 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat. Arborfield is only about 20 miles from Windsor, so this could be her. The only one I can find on IGI and on Ancestry is the one you have already found.
regards.
Essex/Dorset/Berks

Offline Paco

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 01 March 10 15:39 GMT (UK) »
There is a William Love who married Sally Mercer on the 28th October 1811 at Hurst in Berkshire-could be her parents.
regards.
Essex/Dorset/Berks

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 01 March 10 15:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi

What was her fathers occupation on her marriage certificate and who were the witnesses?

Rosie

and...welcome to rootschat  ;D
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline newburychap

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 01 March 10 19:02 GMT (UK) »
Berkshire is quite well represented on the IGI but there are plenty of baptisms that are not there - including the parish church for Windsor.  I would suggest that you need to check for a Jemimah Love there before plumping for a convenient one from 20 miles away.
Latest project - www.westberkshirewarmemorials.org.uk
Currently researching:<br /> Newbury pubs  & inns - the buildings, breweries and publican families.
Member of Newbury District Field Club - www.ndfc.org.uk

Offline Cerivolk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 02 March 10 06:41 GMT (UK) »
Thank you everybody for your thoughts and assistance!

Paco - yes, I have been looking at this William Love/Sally Mercer marriage - it fits, so is a possibility.

Rosie - I did not make a note of the occupation and witnesses - unfortunately I am out of the country for a few months, and won't be able to look for a while - but yes, there might be clues there.

Newburychap - thanks for that info - I am new to Berkshire, as it were, and did not have details of the coverage. I will certainly look further, based on your note.

Best wishes

Paul
Cowling, Yorkshire - Smith, Hoyle, Stephenson, Watson, Whitaker, Binns, Sharp, Tempest, Bannister, Wilkinson
Lancashire - Wilkinson, Binns, Hoyle
London - Denton, Marston
Surrey - Harris
Kent - Davis, Stevens, March, Hatton
Warwickshire - Touhey, Hendren, Townsend, Middlemore
Cambridgeshire - Dellar
Berkshire - Love

Offline newburychap

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 02 March 10 11:01 GMT (UK) »
IGI coverage is easy to check via Hugh Wallis' site and, for Berkshire, on the Berkshire Record Office website.
Latest project - www.westberkshirewarmemorials.org.uk
Currently researching:<br /> Newbury pubs  & inns - the buildings, breweries and publican families.
Member of Newbury District Field Club - www.ndfc.org.uk

Offline CS1986

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 28 February 16 00:09 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
I am a descendant of the aforementioned Jemima(h) Love. I have found some information by the way of Family Search and a family tree someone had put together within the last couple of years.
 Her husband, Henry, came to Fort Erie, Canada to set up shop as a butcher. His daughter's son, my great great grandfather, Henry George Smith was an apprentice to his grand dad.
  Jemima passed away in 1865. I haven't a clue where or when aside from the year. Yes, her parents were William Love and Sally Mercer. They were wed in 1811. That is as far back as I have gotten in the line. If I am not mistaken, there is a Berkshire connection.