Author Topic: british legion lists carlist war  (Read 8809 times)

Offline BOYTEN

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
british legion lists carlist war
« on: Monday 01 March 10 15:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi i have been trying to find my ancestor George Fitch who was a colonel in spanish army but served in the carlist war. Apparently according to british library there is a list of volunteers in the british legion who would have volunteered for the carlist war. I know my ancestor died in Madrid in 1882 active in Spanish Army but think he may have started here as not on the Military list in spain- checked on sat at british library. many thanks for any help anita
davey wood

Offline themonsstar

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: british legion lists carlist war
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 06 March 10 16:16 GMT (UK) »
Its proper name would be the British Auxiliary Legion, there were a few books published in 1800s, One of them being the Army List of the British Auxiliary Legion in Spain (1835-37) this should be one of the ones I would be looking for if I were you.

I also think that naval and military publishing, republished a history of the British Auxiliary Legion and the war in Spain (London 1839) Alexander Somerville.

Offline BOYTEN

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 06 March 10 16:29 GMT (UK) »
hi thank you yes it is the British  legion auxillary list i need - they have one at the british library but have to order it and takes a couple of days - working full time so no time till on holiday next
davey wood

Offline themonsstar

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 09 March 10 18:59 GMT (UK) »
I was at my local Lib, & they had two books on the Carlist War;

The British Auxiliary Legion in the First Carlist War 1835-38. by Edward M.Brett published 2005 ISBN 1-85182-915-6

The Carlist Wars in Spain, by Edgar Holt, 1967.

You should be able to get the books on loan for your own  Lib

Offline BOYTEN

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 09 March 10 21:21 GMT (UK) »
Thank you will try at my one - did you notice if they had names of the soldiers in them?
davey wood

Offline adrianjohn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 11 July 12 15:02 BST (UK) »
Hello!  I've been carrying out some research into Colonel George Fitch and found your enquiry while doing a general search.  Are you still looking for details?  I have quite a nice piece about him and an aspect of his life in Madrid.

Offline BOYTEN

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 11 July 12 15:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Yes we are still interested in him please whatever you have would be very interested Thank you
davey wood

Offline adrianjohn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 11 July 12 15:49 BST (UK) »
As an orphaned boy he was adopted by his theatrical impresario uncle, John Ebers, friend of Dickens and Cruickshank. When grown up, went to Portugal for the war of dynastic succession there, then moved on to Spain for their wars of dynastic succession and was by then in the Spanish Army.
Was instrumental in setting up the British Cemetery in Madrid where he is buried.  He died in 1880.
I'm including a piece on the British Cemetery (as it is now known) which I hope will be of interest.  It would be handy to find a list of British soldiers who served in the Carlist Wars, but with the Legion as well as regular units, and taking into account that many of the soldiers were released felons, given the opportunity to serve rather than complete their sentences, it's needle in a haystack territory!

The following is from a contemporary news report.  My English isn't that flowery!!

"The English Cemetery at Madrid is one of those quiet, lovely spots where one might wish to be laid when life's battles are over, and the body seeks rest in a foreign land.  It is a 'God's Acre' in reality, not only in the sense of the sacredness of the city of the dead, but also because it covers exactly that space of ground, neither more nor less.  Previous to 1854, the few English who died here were buried beneath the stalls of the horses in the Gas Works, such was the intolerance of the Catholic Government as to the interment of  heretics.  By the great exertions of Colonel George Fitch, permission was at last granted for the purchase of this little spot, and the British Government found the necessary funds.  Since its opening, some 70 or 80 have been buried there, including a few Jews and Greeks, for whom special corners have been set apart.  Under the fatherly care of the worthy Colonel, the little cemetery has assumed a pleasant appearance, and the cypress trees afford a quiet shade.  On Saturday last, one of countrymen was buried there, almost all the English residents here attending, and a few Spaniards.  The latter afterwards expressed themselves pleased with our simple but beautiful Church of England service which was read impressively by the Rev. J. R. Whyte, the resident chaplain to our embassy.  Poor Higginson will be remembered with fond recollection by all who knew him.  His death has cast a gloom over us all.  He was an engineer, one of those men who carry their country's glories into peaceful fields and undertake industrial works for Spain which she cannot do for herself.  Colonel Fitch has the satisfaction of seeing his success in respect of the cemetery, and has also the proud satisfaction of having lately received permission to erect a Protestant church in Madrid."

Hope this is of use and interest.  Let me know, please!

Offline BOYTEN

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 11 July 12 16:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Thank you for this- we have a little info on this but this is much more detailed- George was adopted by John Ebers my gt gt gt gt grandfather who run the opera house in Haymarket in 1800`s and wrote a book called seven years in the kings theatre by john ebers - we have that book its brilliant has photos and everything. George and his sister were both adopted by John although we cant really find that much about their parents except that they died in 1814 and 1819 his sister Amelia or Emily Sarah as she was baptised were adopted by John. Thank you for this information Anita
davey wood