Author Topic: british legion lists carlist war  (Read 8812 times)

Offline BOYTEN

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: british legion lists carlist war
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 11 July 12 16:04 BST (UK) »
Oh and both their siblings died in 1815 and 1816 maybe an epidemic?
davey wood

Offline adrianjohn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 11 July 12 16:43 BST (UK) »
Glad the info. was of interest.  If I find anything more I'll post again.  I'm going back to Madrid next year to do more research so you never know what I might turn up!
If you come up up with any more about his life in Spain, I'd like to see it.

Offline BOYTEN

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 11 July 12 16:54 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for this i am truely grateful and  certainly will. Anita
davey wood

Offline BOYTEN

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 11 July 12 17:29 BST (UK) »
Just out of interest what is your interest in George Fitch? Anita
davey wood

Offline kg0279

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 08 September 12 15:59 BST (UK) »
Hi, sorry to jump in on this thread but like BOYTEN, work full time and being in the NE, getting to the British Library is not easy until next holidays are due!

If anyone happens to be checking any of the army lists, I would be grateful if half an eye can be kept out for my enquiry: I have an old portrait miniature of an ancestor John Raby. The back of the portrait is inscribed "John Raby Took his Departure for Spain  March 20 1836". Presently I have no other reference for him but there is a sensible chance the only reason a young man (looks early twenties) would go to Spain at that time might be as part of the Carlist war campaign.  Of course it might have been a hopping off point for a grand tour!

Regards

Kevin
Gay, Flood, Keefe, Ennis:                           Westmeath Ireland.
Flood, Keefe Ennis:                                    Chicago, St. Louis, New York.
Kaveney, Burke:                                         Ireland, Staffordhire.
Hunt, Davis, Taylor, West, Fox, Spencer:    Loughborough, Leicester, Rutland, Northants.
Wise, Farrow, Garbett, Oakley:                  North Yorks, Cleveland
HOFSTÄTTER, Konrad, Geiregger:             Austria, Germany

Offline adrianjohn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 09 September 12 08:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Kevin:  Could you supply a little more information?  Date of birth if you have it, place of birth, where he lived, anything at all about his parents/life etc., etc.

Tall order, if you only have a portrait!

Would be good to see his portrait, too.

I'll see what I can come up with.

Regards

Adrian

Offline kg0279

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 10 September 12 18:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Adrian,
many thanks for taking the time.  the images are attached.  Playing around with a scan of the back of the portrait the signature reads "By Miller" (though "Mill??" variants may be possible).  I was hoping that i might find more information, perhaps a full name of the artist or something to help narrow down the geography but have not come up with anything.

Unfortunately I have nothing more tangible than this to go on.  The portrait comes from my late Aunt without much provenance other than a story 'perhaps' that the family was rich and he was travelling Europe.  Certainly the dress is good quality.  However, my own research into the Raby line we are connected to does not provide for a huge amount of wealth as far as I can see.  The Raby's in my line are from Leicestershire but also Manchester. I can provide some background information to this but so far I haven't made links to any John Raby's.

Best regards

Kevin
Gay, Flood, Keefe, Ennis:                           Westmeath Ireland.
Flood, Keefe Ennis:                                    Chicago, St. Louis, New York.
Kaveney, Burke:                                         Ireland, Staffordhire.
Hunt, Davis, Taylor, West, Fox, Spencer:    Loughborough, Leicester, Rutland, Northants.
Wise, Farrow, Garbett, Oakley:                  North Yorks, Cleveland
HOFSTÄTTER, Konrad, Geiregger:             Austria, Germany

Offline adrianjohn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 13 September 12 09:03 BST (UK) »
Hi

Fine looking chap!  It looks like a hand coloured daguerreotype to me.  By his dress and the fact that he had what was, at that time, a relatively pricey process for his portrait, he probably was quite well off.

If your aunt hinted at wealth and 'connections', do you have Wentworth in your family line anywhere? Or a connection with Strafford?

I'm aware that I don't want to hijack Boyten's thread so if I come up with anything I'll send you a personal message - unless you have another thread somewhere on the Forum?

Brief update:  I cannot find John in any army lists, English or Spanish.  I'm looking in old directories for Miller, to see if he was a photographer or jobbing portrait painter - sometimes the two disciplines went together as artists experimented with new techniques etc.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards
Adrian

Offline worldwar14

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 11 May 14 05:21 BST (UK) »
Hello Boyten . We are  London based  Antiquarian Booksellers and we have just bought for stock the original manuscript diary/ commonplace book of Colonel G. W Fitch for the period 1832-36 . Its a bit of a battered relic and is probably incomplete  but could be rebound and repaired .8vo .approx. 50pp of manuscript with some printed material and newspaper cuttings . . Leather bound with "G. W. F Diary 1832" in gilt on cover. Consists mainly of copy letters  about Carlist Wars I assume in Fitch's hand where he is described as Lieutenant Commanding Marines .He later seems to have become a Lt Colonel . It is an item that needs research but is pretty readable and will have information on Fitch which won't be elsewhere . Ring me on 02089942258 if of interest. We are doing most of the main London Bookfairs over the next couple of weeks and could perhaps meet at one of those ?