Author Topic: Harpur Wexford Town  (Read 33104 times)

Offline John Harpur

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Harpur Wexford Town
« on: Monday 01 March 10 16:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi. I'm trying to establish a link between Francis Harpur, merchant and land owner from Harpur's Lane and S. Main Street listed in Griffiths Valuation and the Francis Harpur who was three time mayor in the early 1800's. And the descendants of Francis Harpur the merchant, especially if there is a connection to Moses Harpur, grocer, publican, iron monger who's family lived at the intersection of Harpur's Lane and S. Main Street. Thanks.

Online LH

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Harpur Wexford Town
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 02 March 10 09:55 GMT (UK) »
Doesn't answer your question but it might provide a clue - Houses of Wexford book mentions Riverfield House, Carcur, Wexford, as being purchased by Thomas & Annie Harpur in 1884.  Apparently this Thomas Harpur was Mayor of Wexford in 1886-7 and is described as a wealthy and generous corn merchant. Thom's Directory 1900 apparently lists Thomas Harpur J.P. of Riversfield House.

Cheers

Offline John Harpur

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 03 March 10 01:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi LH. Terrific info. I don't think I've got relatives named Thomas or Anne for this period. By coincidence though, my last living great aunt, Molly Harpur, and a great uncle, her brother Thomas, last lived at Riverview Terrace in Carcur. But these were very modest townhomes. Thanks.

Online LH

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 03 March 10 17:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I seem to recall reading that the benevolent Thomas I wrote about was credited with building artisans dwellings nearby.  Wonder if the house you refer to at Riverview Terrace was one of these.

Cheers

Offline rattler

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 10 March 10 10:57 GMT (UK) »
My cousin Rita Harpur sent me this.  Not sure if it helps.   
Apropos Thomas Harpur, I was looking through a book Wexford – A Municipal History, and came up with the following.

Thomas Harpur was an Alderman and was first elected Mayor of Wexford in 1886 and was returned to office for a second time in 1887. He was born in 1846, and he represented St Iberius Ward and was a corn merchant in South Main Street. He lived in Riversfield House, Carcur and was quite wealthy and his caring nature resulted in the building of artisans’ dwellings for the less fortunate in society. Mr Harpur was a very active member of the Borough Home Rule Club an at one stage brought them on an outing to Avoca.

Mr Harpur did on one occasion land himself in hot water when he attended the Queen’s Jubliee celebrations but despite this, was a very hard working and dedicated Mayor.  He died in St Senan’s Mental Hospital in October 1926, and is buried in Crosstown Cemetary.

Wexford Town..
Harpur. O'Rourke. Foley. Walsh. Furlong.

Offline shorts

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 03 May 10 12:09 BST (UK) »
I have been researching the Dalton surname in Wexford Town over the past few years (my family lived in Fisher's Row in the 1930's & 40's) and I recently trawled through the Parish registers in the National Library noting down any references to the Dalton surname. Someone may be interested in the following links to the Harpur's family name:

Marriage records:

15/02/1870 - Catherine Harpur married John Dalton (Witnesses: Richard Codd/Teresa lewis)
05/05/1872 - James Harpur married Sarah Dalton (William Brrne/Mary Brown)
22/09/1879 - Catherine Dalton (nee Harpur) married Garrett Byrne (John Kinsella?/Mary Wade)

[b]Baptisim Records[/b]
Date of birth and  date of Bpt

24/09/1872 - 28/09/1872     John Bartholomew Harpur
Father: James Harpur      Mother: Sarah Dalton   Sponsors: Thomas Halloran/Catherine Murphy

11/08/1874 - 11/08/1874    Walter Harpur
Father: James Harpur      Mother: Sarah Dalton   Sponsors: James Bell/Mary Kelly

28/11/1875 - 29/11/1875   James Harpur
Father: James Harpur      Mother: Sarah Dalton   Sponsors: John Dimbar/Bridget Dimbar

19/04/1877 - 20/04/1877  Johanna Harpur
Father: James Harpur      Mother: Sarah Dalton   Sponsors: John Harpur/Mary Murphy

25/06/1879 - 28/06/1879  Margaret Harpur
Father: James Harpur      Mother: Sarah Dalton   Sponsors: Eliza Lacy/ ?

Steve     
Dalton: Wexford Town/Ireland
Curran: Ballyvaloo/Blackwater/Co Wexford/Ireland
Clowery/Farrell: Wexford Town/Ireland
Flood: Enniscorthy & Wexford/Ireland
Ormand/Kirwan: Blackwater/Co Wexford/Ireland
Shortman: Bristol/Westbury-on-Trym/Manchester
Trull: Uley/Dursley/Glos
Cross: Dursley/Glos
Hazard: Bristol/Manchester

Offline rattler

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 03 May 10 12:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Steve.  My gt.grandfather was James Harpur married to Sarah Dalton.  Interesting thing is in my family tree, my grandfather is John James, born 1872 but your record shows him to be John Bartholomew.  Grandad lived in Fishers Row with wife Bridget Foley till his death in 1946.  He was harbour pilot.  Anne
Wexford Town..

Offline shorts

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 03 May 10 13:50 BST (UK) »
Hello Anne

This is clearly one and the same person. Do you have any documented evidence of John's second forename being 'Jame's', such as his BC?  Do the other 4 siblings I mentioned tie in with your records?

Also do you have any details of Sarah Dalton's eg. her date of birth or date of death?

I've yet to establish a connection between Sarah and my family but as there were only a couple of Dalton families in Wexford Town so she is almost certainly an ancestor.

I have spoken with my mother who lived in Fisher's Row during the 1940's prior to moving to Maudlintown. She mentioned that her elder sister Margaret Dalton and a friend (Frances Carroll) used to take out a little girl called Doleres Harpur in her pram. I understand that her mother was Sally Harpur or possibly Nancy Renford (nee Harpur). Are these member's of your family?

She also recalls 'Rattler' Fortune and believes it was his daughter who married the footballer Ray Clemence of Liverpool FC. 

Cheers

Steve

Dalton: Wexford Town/Ireland
Curran: Ballyvaloo/Blackwater/Co Wexford/Ireland
Clowery/Farrell: Wexford Town/Ireland
Flood: Enniscorthy & Wexford/Ireland
Ormand/Kirwan: Blackwater/Co Wexford/Ireland
Shortman: Bristol/Westbury-on-Trym/Manchester
Trull: Uley/Dursley/Glos
Cross: Dursley/Glos
Hazard: Bristol/Manchester

Offline rattler

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 03 May 10 14:45 BST (UK) »
Hello again.  I believe Sarah was born 1851 and died 1927, don't have actual dates.  I have a public tree in ancestry.co.uk and there is a fare bit of information there but I havent any on her parents.  Delores is Nancy Renforths daughter.  The family moved back to Newcastle as I think that is where Nancys husband came from.  Rattlers wife Margaret was my grandfather Johns sister.  Her daughter Lina lived in Liverpool and her daughter Vera married Ray.
Tree is Liverpool and Wexford Family History Site..  Anne
Wexford Town..