Author Topic: Harpur Wexford Town  (Read 33175 times)

Offline shorts

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Harpur Wexford Town
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 05 June 10 12:44 BST (UK) »
Hi All
Noticed your posts on the Harpur family of Wexford town I am looking for information on a Mary Wade (nee Harpur) daughter of John Harpur of Bride Street Wexford who married a Pierce Wade on 30/9/1867 (witnesses were William Byrne and Ellen Malone). Mary and Pierce had a daughter Mary born 24th march 1869, baptised 25th march 1869 witnesses John Wade and Catherine Harpur. I noticed in some of the posts the names Mary Wade and Catherine Harpur and wondered if this has any connection to your Harpur family mentioned.
Regards Canberragirl

You may already be aware of this but there is a Wade living in Bride St in the 1901 census which has been transcribed as 'Peter' but looks more like 'Pierce' to me. He's living on his own & is stated to be a 59 year old widower.

Steve
Dalton: Wexford Town/Ireland
Curran: Ballyvaloo/Blackwater/Co Wexford/Ireland
Clowery/Farrell: Wexford Town/Ireland
Flood: Enniscorthy & Wexford/Ireland
Ormand/Kirwan: Blackwater/Co Wexford/Ireland
Shortman: Bristol/Westbury-on-Trym/Manchester
Trull: Uley/Dursley/Glos
Cross: Dursley/Glos
Hazard: Bristol/Manchester

Offline shorts

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 15 August 10 23:50 BST (UK) »
Thanks Ger.  No one seems to know why he was buried there.  I assumed Sarah was from that area.  I have no other knowledge of her other than she married James.  Steve, yes I am yellabelly and I now remember we had contact last year.  I do not have any documents to show grandads full name but to my knowledge there are no other Bartholomews in the family.  Anne

Further to the above see attached baptisim record for John 'Bartholomew' Harpur in 1872.

There are only 2 Dalton's baptised in Wexford Town between 1850 & 1860, Patrick in 1856 and his brother John (who is my G.Grandfather) in 1860, to William Dalton & Catherine Redmond. They're probably related to Sarah Dalton in some way but yet to find a link.

Offline shorts

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 19 September 10 17:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Rattler

I have attached 2 pages of the 1907 baptisms from the register at Bride St Church Wexford Town which may be of interest.

The bottom half contains the entry for my Great Aunt but I also noticed an entry for a James Fortune - son of Nicholas (Rattler?) Fortune and Margaret Harpur of Byrnes Lane - (sponsor Michael Harpur).  It's the 10th entry down the page. The Sponsors are noted on the 2nd page.

Steve 

Offline rattler

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 19 September 10 18:13 BST (UK) »
Something to ponder on.  I have copied this from my ancestry tree.  Happend  September,  Anne

According to a local paper " Michael Harpur, a young sailor from William Street was reported drowned at Calcutta.  Word has it that he was painting over the side of the ship when he fell off the stage and into the water.  All efforts to save him proved useless.  Harpur had only left home a few weeks before". 
Wexford Town..
Harpur. O'Rourke. Foley. Walsh. Furlong.

Offline rattler

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 20 September 10 15:23 BST (UK) »
Hello again Steve.  I was checking on my ancestry tree with regard to the baptism record and it would appear they had two children within a month of each other.  I have their daughter Kathleen Frances born July 1907 and there is James born August same year.  Kathleen married ? Mc Evoy and I have her memory card.  I will check up on the Mc Evoy tree.  Poor Aunt Margaret was a busy girl that year.  Anne
Wexford Town..

Offline shorts

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 29 January 11 22:25 GMT (UK) »
Quote by John Harpur from a message under another topic

Moses had a brother James (mid-1800's) but again his father would have to have been Martin. I don't know if Martin had a brother Joseph.

Moses and his wife Teresa (Stafford) ran a grocery, liquor store, and pub at 55-57 S. Main Street from late 1800's until early 1900's. They also had a iron store on King Street. Moses' children were John, Francis, Patrick, Aiden, James, William, Molly, Elizabeth (Cullimore). Several emigrated to USA or South Africa.

Hi John

As requested in your personal message here is a copy of the 1890 Baptism record for Mary Kate Harpur, daughter of Moses & Teresa plus sponsors (John Harpur & Mary Rossiter)

Offline rattler

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 04 April 11 11:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Steve.  I was reading over some of the past posts on here.  I was puzzled when you mentioned the family who lived next door to my Grandparents, but then noted your mother moved in 1948.  I stayed with my Aunt Sally Byrne/Harpur in 1950 for the summer.  I remembered Jim Fortune and his wife lives next door on the right, left was Rattler.  Jim played accordion sometimes as he sat on the window sill outside their house.  He also played as we came down the river on the Ffrench's boat after a trip to Kilmore.  Lovely memory.  Anne
Wexford Town..

Offline shorts

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 09 April 11 16:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Steve.  My gt.grandfather was James Harpur married to Sarah Dalton.  Interesting thing is in my family tree, my grandfather is John James, born 1872 but your record shows him to be John Bartholomew.  Grandad lived in Fishers Row with wife Bridget Foley till his death in 1946.  He was harbour pilot.  Anne

Hi Rattler

I thought you may like to see the Rowe St Church Parish register entry for the marriage of your GF John Harpur to Bridget Foley on 28/04/1900.

Offline rattler

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 09 April 11 17:04 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that Steve.  I am heading over to Wexford 1st week in October so hope to do some more research myself.  Anne
Wexford Town..