Author Topic: Harpur Wexford Town  (Read 33174 times)

Offline rattler

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Harpur Wexford Town
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 09 April 11 17:22 BST (UK) »
Me again.  I was trying to work out the comment in last column.  Would it be a special dispensation so they didn't have to wait the usual 3 weeks.  Grandad was a sailor and my dad's eldest brother John was born 15 May.  Just made it with enough time to be respectable. Anne
Wexford Town..
Harpur. O'Rourke. Foley. Walsh. Furlong.

Offline shorts

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 09 April 11 18:08 BST (UK) »
Me again.  I was trying to work out the comment in last column.  Would it be a special dispensation so they didn't have to wait the usual 3 weeks.  Grandad was a sailor and my dad's eldest brother John was born 15 May.  Just made it with enough time to be respectable. Anne

This latin comment appears in quite a few entries but I haven't as yet checked out what it means! 

It looks like John Harpur was actually born on the 14th May and then baptised on the 15th - see attached copy of the Rowe St church parish register entry. 
Dalton: Wexford Town/Ireland
Curran: Ballyvaloo/Blackwater/Co Wexford/Ireland
Clowery/Farrell: Wexford Town/Ireland
Flood: Enniscorthy & Wexford/Ireland
Ormand/Kirwan: Blackwater/Co Wexford/Ireland
Shortman: Bristol/Westbury-on-Trym/Manchester
Trull: Uley/Dursley/Glos
Cross: Dursley/Glos
Hazard: Bristol/Manchester

Offline shorts

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 09 April 11 19:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Rattler

I took another look at your excellent tree on Ancestry. For the 1911 census you state that the whole Harpur family, other than the eldest child John Harpur b1900, are living in Fishers Row and that John is still living in Mary Street as the nephew of the O'Rourkes/Rourkes.

However there IS a John Harpur aged 10 stated on the 1911 census!. The child missing is Patrick b1906 and as only 5 of Bridget's 6 children are still living it's highly likely that Patrick died young.

There is a John Harpur aged 10 living with the O'Rourkes/Rourkes in 1911 as there was in 1901. I wonder if he was recorded 2 x ?

Offline shorts

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 06 March 12 18:35 GMT (UK) »
Something to ponder on.  I have copied this from my ancestry tree.  Happend  September,  Anne

According to a local paper " Michael Harpur, a young sailor from William Street was reported drowned at Calcutta.  Word has it that he was painting over the side of the ship when he fell off the stage and into the water.  All efforts to save him proved useless.  Harpur had only left home a few weeks before". 

Hi Rattler

Whilst looking for Bridget Walsh in the early 1880's baptism registers I came across the baptism record for Michael Harpur from March 1881. The year of birth differs to that in your tree (c1874) 

Offline rattler

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 07 March 12 15:59 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again.  I have looked at tree again and new date for Michael makes sence.  He would have been in mid 20s when he met his rather grisly end.  I have always had a fear of sharks since dad told me that story.  Searching has become a lot easir with ancestry since they added more Irish records  I will makwe notes of dates before I go over later this month and hope the clergy are in the mood for shareing their records.   
Wexford Town..

Offline shorts

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 07 March 12 16:46 GMT (UK) »
I will make notes of dates before I go over later this month and hope the clergy are in the mood for sharing their records.   

As you know your families tended to reside on the South side of town and therefore you'll find most of the post 1883 parish records relevent to you in Bride Street sacristy. The good thing is that the registers are now kept in a small room off of the main sacristy so that you don't feel like you're in the way whilst viewing the registers as the sacristy can get quite busy. Time your visits around mass times when the sacristy will be open.

Registers for Wexford Town before about 1883 (newly bound copies - not originals) are only available in the Rowe St sacristy. The pre 1880 registers can also be viewed on microfilm in the library.

Offline rattler

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 07 March 12 16:58 GMT (UK) »
You're a star.  I will book a slot in the library and check out there as well as church records.  thanks again.
Wexford Town..

Offline rattler

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 24 June 12 11:00 BST (UK) »
Hello again.  I didn't manage to get much research done on my visit in March.  Running out of wind these days so trips up hill where few.  Next visit, I will have someone with me who can drive.  When I was there I did see my cousin John Harpur in Bernadette Place.  He said Dad was working with his father on the Pilot Boat before joining the Merchant navy to sail on the Lancastria.  Is there a place where those working on the Pilot Boat would be recorded.  I know he joined Cunard around 1930 age 25 so I am looking for records from maybe his teens till then.  Anne
Wexford Town..

Offline shorts

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 24 June 12 15:43 BST (UK) »
When I was there I did see my cousin John Harpur in Bernadette Place.  He said Dad was working with his father on the Pilot Boat before joining the Merchant navy to sail on the Lancastria.  Is there a place where those working on the Pilot Boat would be recorded.  I know he joined Cunard around 1930 age 25 so I am looking for records from maybe his teens till then.  Anne

Hi Anne

On May 10th 1922 a new tug & pilot boat was brought into service in Wexford Harbour named the "Loch Garman". There's a picture of it on page 167 of John Power's book "A Maritime History of Co Wexford, Vol II 1911 - 1960.

The caption underneath the photo states, "On board the new tug and pilot boat "Loch Garman" (left to right): Paddy Marlow, Tom Morris (pilot master), Johnnie Harper, Mikie Pender and Jimmy Busher (sen).

('Johnnie Harper' could possibly be either your GF John Harpur or your Uncle John Harpur.