Author Topic: Harpur Wexford Town  (Read 33176 times)

Offline shorts

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Harpur Wexford Town
« Reply #9 on: Monday 03 May 10 17:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Anne

Are you 'yellabelly' because if so we exchanged messages in June 2009 when I enquired about Sarah having see her name in your tree. Her age is stated as 67 in the 1911 census so it appears she would have been born c 1844. (When I was going through the Parish Baptism register I worked backwards from 1880 and have yet to get back that far)

In your tree John 'James' Harpur's d.o.b is stated as 29/01/1872 rather than 24/09/1872 and so next time I'm in the library I'll check the date in the register as I may have overlooked this particular entry.  The date of baptism you have recorded for John though is definitely incorrect as children were baptised straight away in those days and the 1875 entry actually relates to another sibling - James b 28/11/1875 not John. Again I'll double check the details.

The 1911 census states that James & Sarah had 10 children, 9 still living. Your tree lists 9 children so the 10th is most probably Johanna b 1877 as stated in my earlier post.

I've never heard of the Glynn cemetery and it does seem odd that when James Harpur died in 1924 he was not buried in Crosstown as you would have expected if someone was living in William Street when they died.   

My mum has confirmed that when she lived in Fishers's Row (1940 - 1948) the Harpur family lived 'next door' although there was a gap between the two houses. The ffrench family lived the other side of her.

Regards

Steve
Dalton: Wexford Town/Ireland
Curran: Ballyvaloo/Blackwater/Co Wexford/Ireland
Clowery/Farrell: Wexford Town/Ireland
Flood: Enniscorthy & Wexford/Ireland
Ormand/Kirwan: Blackwater/Co Wexford/Ireland
Shortman: Bristol/Westbury-on-Trym/Manchester
Trull: Uley/Dursley/Glos
Cross: Dursley/Glos
Hazard: Bristol/Manchester

Offline rattler

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 03 May 10 18:47 BST (UK) »
Thanks for those dates.  The ones I had came from a family member who lived in Dublin.  He wrote to my father in Liverpool sometime in the 1980s, asking for information.  He then sent me the dates and also said about Glynn.  I thought perhaps Sarah had come from outside the town.  I think I have a pic of the metal cross on their grave in my site.  When I visited grandads house in Fishers Row, Rattler and Margaret lived next door, to the left and I thought Jim Fortune and his wife lived on the right side.  I do remember the Ffrench family as I played with Pat Ffrench who was like me on holiday from England.  I will send a message to my cousin, another Harpur and see what she makes of it all.  Anne
Wexford Town..
Harpur. O'Rourke. Foley. Walsh. Furlong.

Offline SALMONOROURKE

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 05 May 10 23:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Anne,
This is the iron cross I photographed in Glynn Cemetery,hope it helps.

Ger
Salmon-Wexford /Ballinasloe,Co.Galway/Naas,Co.Kildare
O'Rourke-Wexford Town
McLoughlin-Drinagh,Co.Wexford/Coventry
Dwyer-Barmoney,Wexford
Fortune-Wexford
Wexford Social History

Offline rattler

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 06 May 10 11:13 BST (UK) »
Thanks Ger.  No one seems to know why he was buried there.  I assumed Sarah was from that area.  I have no other knowledge of her other than she married James.  Steve, yes I am yellabelly and I now remember we had contact last year.  I do not have any documents to show grandads full name but to my knowledge there are no other Bartholomews in the family.  Anne
Wexford Town..

Offline SALMONOROURKE

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 06 May 10 18:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Anne,

Hope this helps,

6 May 1872: Sarah Dalton of Henrietta St. of Walter Dalton to James Harper of Bride St. of Joseph Harper. Both of Wexford Town, Wexford RD.

Information from the website http://www.daltondatabank.org 
                                                                                                          Ger
Salmon-Wexford /Ballinasloe,Co.Galway/Naas,Co.Kildare
O'Rourke-Wexford Town
McLoughlin-Drinagh,Co.Wexford/Coventry
Dwyer-Barmoney,Wexford
Fortune-Wexford
Wexford Social History

Offline rattler

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 07 May 10 10:00 BST (UK) »
Once again it's Ger to the rescue.  Great site.  Hope it helps Steve also.  Anne
Wexford Town..

Offline canberragirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 07 May 10 15:17 BST (UK) »
Hi All
Noticed your posts on the Harpur family of Wexford town I am looking for information on a Mary Wade (nee Harpur) daughter of John Harpur of Bride Street Wexford who married a Pierce Wade on 30/9/1867 (witnesses were William Byrne and Ellen Malone). Mary and Pierce had a daughter Mary born 24th march 1869, baptised 25th march 1869 witnesses John Wade and Catherine Harpur. I noticed in some of the posts the names Mary Wade and Catherine Harpur and wondered if this has any connection to your Harpur family mentioned.
Regards Canberragirl
carroll (south co.dublin)carroll,doyle,byrne(wicklow,arklow, avoca) coates, delaney, wade (wexford town)
callaghan, meehan (navan, co. meath)
Wilson (Cambridgeshire) Rogers, (poss London) Celey or Sealy, Vickery (North Curry, Somerset)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 07 May 10 16:48 BST (UK) »
Mary and Pierce had a daughter Mary born 24th march 1869, baptised 25th march 1869 witnesses John Wade and Catherine Harpur.

Also John WADE born 4 Sept.1873 Co. Wexford - parents Pierce Wade & Mary Harpur (see www.familysearch.org).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline shorts

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 09 May 10 23:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Anne,

Hope this helps,

6 May 1872: Sarah Dalton of Henrietta St. of Walter Dalton to James Harper of Bride St. of Joseph Harper. Both of Wexford Town, Wexford RD.

Information from the website http://www.daltondatabank.org 

I wasn't previously aware of this site so thanks for the link.

Steve
Dalton: Wexford Town/Ireland
Curran: Ballyvaloo/Blackwater/Co Wexford/Ireland
Clowery/Farrell: Wexford Town/Ireland
Flood: Enniscorthy & Wexford/Ireland
Ormand/Kirwan: Blackwater/Co Wexford/Ireland
Shortman: Bristol/Westbury-on-Trym/Manchester
Trull: Uley/Dursley/Glos
Cross: Dursley/Glos
Hazard: Bristol/Manchester