Author Topic: Master Baker's - Records / Directories  (Read 13250 times)

Offline 47813

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Master Baker's - Records / Directories
« on: Monday 01 March 10 17:46 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

My G-Grandfather Albert Edward Jackson (b1888, St Helens) was until at least 1921 a Labourer both general and Chemical. By 1949 he is a Master Baker according to my Grandmother's marriage certifcate.

Again until at least 1921 he is living in St Helens. In 1948 he is living in Stalybridge. At his death in 1952 he is still Master Baker and Confectioner and living in Cylde Street, Oldham.

My father says Albert was a Baker and Greengrocer  - Not at same time I believe - He ran a shop but my father was only 1 when Albert died, so he doesn't know where or in which order.

What i'm interested in is, He must have needed some training to be a baker. Its a long shot but would there be any record of this?

I'm more confident with my second request, which is taking the places I have given, does anyone know if he might be in a local directory of the period.

Thankyou

Jonathan
LOUGHLIN - Galway, Ireland/Heywood, Lancs
HOWARTH - Rochdale
IVES - Rochdale. Originally Thurlstone, WR Yorkshire
BRIDGENS - Rochdale via Stourbridge
JACKSON - Prescot
PENKETH - Prescot
CONNOLLY - Kilmain, Ireland/Heywood, Lancs
WILD - Rochdale via Wolverhampton
SANDERSON - Rochdale
KNIGHT - Rochdale via Holme, Huntingdonshire
BARROW - Marton,Blackpool
DAGGER - Blackpool
BAILEY - Rochdale/Rushton, Staffordshire & Oldham
SERGINSON - London/Wolverhampton/Leeds/Manchester
BRIGGS - Doncaster

Offline Barbara.H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Master Baker's - Records / Directories
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 02 March 10 09:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jonathan,

There's this entry in 1923 Kelly's Cheshire directory (on Ancestry) but would put him in Reddish! Is that a possibility? It's only a few miles from Stalybridge.

Albert Edward Jackson, Fruiterer, 53 Gorton Rd, Reddish

:) Barbara
LANCS:  Greenwood, Greenhalgh, Fishwick, Berry,
CHES/DERBYS:  Vernon
YORKS/LINCS: Watson, Stamford, Bartholomew,
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Barbara.H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 02 March 10 09:42 GMT (UK) »
Still at that address in 1929, (if its the right person) this entry in 1929 Kelly's Directory of Manchester, Salford and Suburbs:

53 Gorton Rd, Jackson, A E & Sons, Fruiterers
LANCS:  Greenwood, Greenhalgh, Fishwick, Berry,
CHES/DERBYS:  Vernon
YORKS/LINCS: Watson, Stamford, Bartholomew,
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mr. MIGKY

• --
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 02 March 10 09:50 GMT (UK) »
Have you tried asking on this site  Click here 4 ST. Helens As you say he lived in that area for some time.

Also worth contacing Tameside local studies as i think they cover Stalybridge area

Click 4 Tameside local studies

Migky  ;)

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 02 March 10 13:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jonathan

I wouldn't be too convinced that your g.grandfather needed some training to be a baker.  It could be that he just went to work in the local bakery and picked up the trade there.  Even in the late 1950s when I said I wanted to do domestic science after I left school, I was sent by the careers officer to the local bakery to ask about a job working there. ::)

I'm not sure Master Baker etc. means very much, although I do think baking and making cakes is quite an art.  My g.grandfather suddenly became a Master Tobacconist after he stopped being a fisherman.  Now what on earth is that?  Anyone can sell tobacco and it many products.

Lizzie

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 02 March 10 13:27 GMT (UK) »
A master tobacconist would have learnt the skills of blending various tobaccos , rolling cigars etc.  Both this occupation and a baker would have involved an apprenticeship in the 19th century.   The bakers had a London Livery Company which had apprentice bindings up 1860, but it is much more likely that apprenticeships outside London would be controlled by the local guildhall.  The London records will be in the Guildhall library.

I realize that this is largely irrelevant to the middle of the 20th century where any apprenticeship would probably have been specifically between employer and employee.

David

Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 02 March 10 13:45 GMT (UK) »
My g.grandfather was a fisherman in 1891 and at least up to 1894, but by 1901 he was a Master Tobacconist.  From what you are saying, he must have served an apprenticeship somewhere (the shop was in Hull) to become a Master Tobacconist.  I think the truth is that he and my g.gran bought the shop and he just called himself a Master Tobacconist.

Lizzie

ps. My father in law had a grocery shop during the war, but then started a building company.  He called himself a Master Builder, even though he never laid a brick, or plastered a wall in his life.

Offline Mr. MIGKY

• --
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 02 March 10 14:40 GMT (UK) »
Does that make you and David master genealogist then Lizzie and us mere commoners just your apprentices then  ;D Or can we all claim to be master genealogist  :o

Migky  ;)

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 02 March 10 17:41 GMT (UK) »
Migky

I think we can all call ourselves Master Genealogists ::) 

I know David was making a serious point, but in my experience the people who have called themselves Master whatever, in the late 1800s/1900s have never been apprentices in the trade.  Now my g.grandfather was a Master Baker and he was apprenticed, although I have yet to find the records which if they exist will be in Lincolnshire Archives, I know there are no records of my 2 x g.grandfather in the Lincolnshire Archives and he was also an apprentice hairdresser/perfumier before becoming a Master Hairdresser.

Lizzie