Author Topic: Frederick Charles Barton b 1874  (Read 3618 times)

Offline Tropical

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Frederick Charles Barton b 1874
« on: Monday 01 March 10 19:26 GMT (UK) »
Good evening

I am researching my other halfs family.

I have Frederick Charles Barton born 1874 Southampton

parents John Henry Barton & Anne Stride.

The family moved to West Ham, Essex between 1881 - 1891, I have all the family census upto 1911 apart from Frederick Barton he is missing on 1911 census.

Frederick married Annie Susan Craske on 11 Feb 1897 at St Johns Church West Ham Essex. They had a son called Edgar George W Barton born 1902, Finsbury London. I have the birth cert for Edgar, Edgar is my OH's father, Edgar died 1975

I found Annie Susan Barton nee Craske in service in 1911 census with her son Edgar, Head of household was John William Spencer 5 Scratton Road, Southend on Sea Essex.

Annie Susan Barton nee Craske remarried  to John William Spencer 8 Aug 1918, West Ham Essex. The marriage cert say's that Annie was a Widow
My problem is i can not find a suitable death index for Frederick Charles Barton. I did order a death cert for a Frederick C Barton 1914 St Pancras, it was not my Frederick.

I do have all census returns for the Craske family and Annie's death cert

If anyone can help, i would be most grateful

Pam

Offline Rah1980

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Frederick Charles Barton b 1874
« Reply #1 on: Monday 01 March 10 19:35 GMT (UK) »
Presumably she said she was married on the 1911 census. Sounds like the husband did a runner to me and either she remarried bigamously or perhaps he was declared dead after having been gone for so long. I have a relative who 'ran away' don't think I will ever find them so have given up!

Sarah  ;D
Flintshire Parry, Price, Lloyd, Jones, Williams, Roberts, Ellis, Holland and Davies. Mostly from Brynford area.
Denbighshire Hannam, Evans
Scotland Clark, Duff, Ferrier, Cruikshanks, Robertson, Anderson, Mciver, Finlayson, Hodge, Galloway and Barrie
Midlands Shaw, Davenport, Skidmore, Ball
Ireland Mccaffery

Offline Tropical

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 01 March 10 19:42 GMT (UK) »
Hello Sarah,

Yes she did say she was married on the 1911 census.

I did say that to my oh saying she may have married Mr John Spencer whilst Frederick was still alive, all he said
no way.

Oh yes it does happen, even one or two in my tree are bigamists

Pam

Offline Ermintrude46

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Capture of the Maria Riggersbergen, Oct 18th 1806
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 01 March 10 19:51 GMT (UK) »
Do you know if FCB served in the Armed Forces in WW1??  He would have been close to being too old to be called up but he might have vounteered in the early days of the war.  Medal cards are available to view on the subscription site ancestry.co.uk.  The CWGC site lists soldiers and others who died in WW1 - there's no-one obvious on there but a few where the age isn't shown http://www.cwgc.org/debt_of_honour.asp?menuid=14
Ermy
Baldwin / Dixey / Rumble (Berkshire)
Burnsides / Corps / Harker / HINDLE / Longstaff / Martin / Page (Co. Durham)
Chalker / Glyde / Morris / Pitman / Stroud (Dorset)
BARTON / Heasman / Wheatley (East Sussex)
Baby / Silver / Silvester (Hampshire)
Cheeseman / JONES / Wood (Kent)
Chalker (Somerset)
Curtis / Davis / Stevens (Wiltshire)
Arcules / Carter / HINTON (Worcestershire)
~.~. main lines in CAPS .~.~

Offline Rah1980

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 01 March 10 19:55 GMT (UK) »
Well what is a woman to do in a situation like that?! She might have reported him missing and waited the said period before marrying I don't know how you would go about finding that out. I have heard all kinds of stories on here that you would never think are true but they are only the other day I found a will for someone in which the will maker was leaving things to his wife and three legit kids as well as his mistress that he lived with and their three illigitmate kids - and he was suppossed to be a roman catholic and this was the 1850's oh and he was like 70 odd and his mistress was bout 30!!!

My ancestors mother ran away when he was a child and I am led to believe she never got back in contact and the father wrote down in every census he was married (but the wife was never there) i bet any money she remarried but she was born Mary Roberts and married a Jones - hence why I have given up on her!

Sarah  ;D
Flintshire Parry, Price, Lloyd, Jones, Williams, Roberts, Ellis, Holland and Davies. Mostly from Brynford area.
Denbighshire Hannam, Evans
Scotland Clark, Duff, Ferrier, Cruikshanks, Robertson, Anderson, Mciver, Finlayson, Hodge, Galloway and Barrie
Midlands Shaw, Davenport, Skidmore, Ball
Ireland Mccaffery

Offline Tropical

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 01 March 10 22:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ermy,

I did check WW1 pensions, Medal Cards etc and even CWGC site. but none jumps out at me to be honest, i know there are a few FCB or FB with no age on CWGC site.

Sarah, My gt grandfather was married with about 7 children, then he meet and ran off my gt grandmother whilst the youngest of his children with his first wife was only 5. He had 5 children with my gt grandmother which includes my grandmother, i know they got married but to this day i can't find the marriage and i have been searching for 2 years now.

On Annie's second marriage in 1918 she was living at 100 Snakes Lane, Woodford Green. I have searched for this on the 1911 census, and there is no number 100, so this address could be ficticious.

Thank you all for your help and input, very much appreciated

Pam

Offline T-Dub

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 02 September 16 20:28 BST (UK) »
Hello!
I know this is an old thread, but wanted to respond anyway in the hopes that you (Pam) do get this message.
Your information put the final piece into the puzzle for me about John William Spencer and his stepson, Edgar. The twist is that I’m not related to anyone…I believe that John’s first wife was my step-great-grandmother’s adopted daughter.
And, yes, I do have FCB on the 1911 census – living w/ his brother, John Henry. Interestingly, there is another little fellow with the name Edgar William George Barton in that household as well. Very confusing. (Of course, in the intervening years, you may have uncovered all this.)
Do you have any more details about John Spencer’s life? I would also love to hear more about EGWB.
As I am a new member I can’t send personal messages, apparently.
Hope you get this and Cheers! from Vancouver, BC, Canada
-Terri

Offline Tropical

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 03 September 16 08:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Terri,

I did not realize how old my original post was. That is correct FCB was living with his brother John Henry on the 1911 census. JWS and Annie Susan Barton (Craske) and Annie's son Edgar was living in the same house in 1911.

What did you want to know? Who is your link to the Spencer/Barton/Craske families ?
If i can help i will
If i am correct, if you post another 3 or 4 messages then you can pm

Pam

Offline T-Dub

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 03 September 16 14:09 BST (UK) »
Hi,

My link is to John William Spencer via who I believe was his first wife -- hoping for more details of how his life (and Annie's and Edgars) unfolded after he married Annie in 1918.

Thx!